Steel required for building works

SO16_Saint

You can go to a structural engineer for the info, but if the project is small in size, the builders you get to quote for the works will have enough experience in advising you of what is needed (provided you go to a reputable contractor). Just make sure that whoever you use has the relevant insurances in place when they start the works. If the project is a larger scheme, then you should get an architect to draw up some plans and either they will know or will know who to use to get advise on what is needed.

Go to a structural engineer, not a builder (even for a simple beam). A builder won't have the qualifications or know how to produce calculations to satisfy building control. They will look at a job and say "yeah you can probably get away with a .....". A structural engineer will have knowledge of safety factors, buckling, slenderness, wind loadings, snow loading, live loads etc etc and will be able to economically design a structure that will satisfy building control.

PM me if you want a structural Engineer.

Go to a structural engineer, not a builder (even for a simple beam). A builder won't have the qualifications or know how to produce calculations to satisfy building control. They will look at a job and say "yeah you can probably get away with a .....". A structural engineer will have knowledge of safety factors, buckling, slenderness, wind loadings, snow loading, live loads etc etc and will be able to economically design a structure that will satisfy building control.

PM me if you want a structural Engineer.

And put a factor of safety of over 250% into a simple RSJ ;)

I had the first 8 feet of a chimney removed in my kitchen. The builder insisted (rightly imo) on getting a strucutral engineer in to calculate the strength of the RSJ required to support the rest of the stack. Cost £345 for the engineer to make a calculation and £350 to have the stack taken out and plastered. SE arent cheap.

I had the first 8 feet of a chimney removed in my kitchen. The builder insisted (rightly imo) on getting a strucutral engineer in to calculate the strength of the RSJ required to support the rest of the stack. Cost £345 for the engineer to make a calculation and £350 to have the stack taken out and plastered. SE arent cheap.

been quoted £200 for the SE and £3250 for the building work so not too bad.

were having a wall removed from our living room into the hallway cupboard - making the living room bigger by 6x18feet...