30 years ago today

stockportsaint

Can't believe it's that long since we were deprived of the genius of John Lennon:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Family-And-Fans-Gather-To-Mark-30th-Anniversary-Of-John-Lennons-Murder-By-Mark-Chapman/Article/201012115849504

I remember it being the only topic of conversation at school that day. Chapman was sent down for 30 years, but I can't see them letting him out, for his own safety.

At the time I didn't know who he was. As a callow 13 year old I just knew he'd had a couple of songs in the charts not long prior to his death. I had know idea he was in the Beatles, I only knew of Paul Mccartney.

Lennon would have been 70 this year, it is also 40 years since the Beatles split.

Hmm - maybe I'll dig out my old vinyl copy of Plastic Ono Band later on. I remember hearing the news; I was at university at the time, and it was certainly a shock. Lennon seemed to be pretty much spent as a creative force by that time - it seems that the happier he was in his personal life, the weaker his songs became. Maybe he needed some great conflict (internal or external, real or imagined) or anguish to produce his best work.

You'd like to think he could have produced something better than 'Starting Over' had he lived, and of course we'll never know what might have been. Other singers have seemed to be washed up creatively, only to come back into form with some great work - Bob Dylan springs to mind.

TBH, It is not one of those 'remember what you were doing' things for me.

I have no recollection of the news breaking whatsoever.

I can remember Elvis dying though, 3 or 4 years earlier.

Oh dear - I can remember Buddy Holly dying!

I remember, , trannny in ear, almost falling off my bike when I heard it whilst cycling through Brambridge. And I am ordinarily a fairly safe road user.

I still have most of the commemorative supplements in my collection too, by definition not very rare but I remember reading them all cover to cover at the time.