Anyone Else Scared...

Gemmel

Meh

The Korea problem was always made worse by the implied support of China to their Military machine.

But even the Chinese have now worked out that any threat on their bit of Asia could damage their economic takeover of the world and so many articles have been indicating they are "stepping back"

What we are seeing IMHO is continued posturing prior to the eventual withdrawal of full Chinese support & the collapse of the North into a more useful Low Cost offshore Manufacturing facility for the Chinese economy.

Mind you someone could still make a mistake while posturing and press the wrong button

and as we are getting rid of our military (so to speak)....

oh well..

Are we at risk from North Korea? No, of course not.

I'd prefer the Andrew to be tasked with ensuring our sea lanes our secure as well as the usual WI & FI guardships.

We are far to small and feeble to have any sort of role in Korea and nor should we anyway.

Are we at risk from North Korea? No, of course not.

I'd prefer the Andrew to be tasked with ensuring our sea lanes our secure as well as the usual WI & FI guardships.

We are far to small and feeble to have any sort of role in Korea and nor should we anyway.

if russia joined in it would impact on us...one way or another (if we mouthed off in support of the south)

Not in the slighest. North korea is a country were most of the population are starving, there is practically no electricity or other mod cons. Their army is large but mostly equiped with old Soviet and Chinese stuff (and the Chinese stuff is mostly a knock off of obselete soviet stuff) if the North korea has nuclear capability I'm a monkey's uncle. If it comes to a war North Korea's main strength is its large but outdated artillery park, Seoul will get a pasting for sure but North Korea doesn't have the capability for a long drawn out war without aid from China and a big war isn't in China's interest.

The Korean peninsula is the most invaded bit of land in the world over the last 140 years, so there is a way to go yet before this is all sorted - China will not take kindly to the US/Japan next to its border, these guys minds are just not like ours at all, we would think they are all barking!!

Not overly worried. A major conflict is unlikely and even if it happens it won't heavily affect the West. There are all sorts of Doomsday scenarios (Iran/Russia/China etc. joining with North Korea) but the only help NK are likely to get will be armchair support from tedious fookwhits like Hugo Chavez.

god knows...but I bet they would....

I'd take that bet. Russia allegadly has considerable assets sunk into rail,gas and oil net works in north Korea a war won't benfit Russia. They didn't get involved during the 50-53 shooting match when they had some common ground idealogically so I couldn't see it know.

The Korean peninsula is the most invaded bit of land in the world over the last 140 years, so there is a way to go yet before this is all sorted - China will not take kindly to the US/Japan next to its border, these guys minds are just not like ours at all, we would think they are all barking!!

I'm not so sure. A neutral combined Korea free from outside influence would be good for China. It releaves them of the burden of supporting North Korea and gives them a new market to exploit. The US are only there becuase they agreed to safe guard South Korea. Unify the two and the US can pull out. A unified neutral Korea (think switzerland) would benefit that part of the world and save the US and China some money to boot.

Not overly worried. A major conflict is unlikely and even if it happens it won't heavily affect the West. There are all sorts of Doomsday scenarios (Iran/Russia/China etc. joining with North Korea) but the only help NK are likely to get will be armchair support from tedious fookwhits like Hugo Chavez.

Iran lol. For all the hype they're bordering on medieval when it comes to modern warfare.

I'd take that bet. Russia allegadly has considerable assets sunk into rail,gas and oil net works in north Korea a war won't benfit Russia. They didn't get involved during the 50-53 shooting match when they had some common ground idealogically so I couldn't see it know.

or russia could just whack up the price of our fuel....

But all the free market right wingers think it's good that we import the majority of our energy needs because it's cheaper and would be therefore more than happy to be paying the increased bills that the free market would deem appropriate.

Hang on. Are you saying that our energy supplies could be held to ransom? That we are in the hold of the Russian Bear? What about the 100s of years of gas under the North Sea that we were told would supply us with cheap clean energy in the future?

Could it be that we were lied to during the "dash for gas" that coincided with closing our mines and privatizing the gas industry? No, the tories lie to us and leave us at the behest of hostile nations and world politics? I don't believe it.

But all the free market right wingers think it's good that we import the majority of our energy needs because it's cheaper and would be therefore more than happy to be paying the increased bills that the free market would deem appropriate.

Hang on. Are you saying that our energy supplies could be held to ransom? That we are in the hold of the Russian Bear? What about the 100s of years of gas under the North Sea that we were told would supply us with cheap clean energy in the future?

Could it be that we were lied to during the "dash for gas" that coincided with closing our mines and privatizing the gas industry? No, the tories lie to us and leave us at the behest of hostile nations and world politics? I don't believe it.

nice one

They could but I doubt they want to upset a country that has 30 billion invested in their econmoy over supporting North Korea. Russia has suffered in the current economic crisis like everyone else starting a trade war over North Korea wouldn't help their economy or ours. Add in the fact that south Korea is listed as a major import partner and Russia just doesn't gain from supporting North Korea in any major way.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/country-profile/europe/russia/?profile=economy

why do people think this is about China , South Korea or any other region. IMO it will be about the moment their leader is about to pop his clogs. He is a despot who wants to go down in history forever. To do that is to push the button at the last moment and get his place alongside Hitler/ Pol Pot /Stalin

The moment of his death is when we need to worry

why do people think this is about China , South Korea or any other region. IMO it will be about the moment their leader is about to pop his clogs. He is a despot who wants to go down in history forever. To do that is to push the button at the last moment and get his place alongside Hitler/ Pol Pot /Stalin

The moment of his death is when we need to worry

Probably some truth to that. Looks like problems at home, which means some sabre rattling and bigging up the threat from south korea are needed to bolster Lill' Kims postion. I don't think he want's to go out with a bang though by all accounts his son is set to replace him going to war won't leave much for his son to inherit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/7249656/North-Korea-celebrates-Kim-Jong-ils-birthday.html

They go anywhere near a NATO nation and the USA will rip them a new ass hole. I don't know why anyone is concerned about Russia, it's just paranoia, they have no motivation for another Cold War.

they are spying at levels seen in the cold war..they have funded special parts of their military to undertake cold war operations...

they are all over certain aspects of old cold war operations...

I have been there and seen it....so to speak

Russia has always been paranoid and she spies on everyone regardless of whether she regards

those countries as friends or foes. Her own people are also suspected and watched very closely.

Mind you I suppose the same could be said about all countries these days it's just that some

conceal the fact better than others. Don't forget all the CCTV cameras in the UK for "preventing crime"

yeah right. :lol::lol:

Anyway it is almost 09.40 Christmas Day here so Merry Christmas to all who read my drivel.

Russia has always been paranoid and she spies on everyone regardless of whether she regards

those countries as friends or foes. Her own people are also suspected and watched very closely.

Mind you I suppose the same could be said about all countries these days it's just that some

conceal the fact better than others. Don't forget all the CCTV cameras in the UK for "preventing crime"

yeah right. :lol::lol:

Anyway it is almost 09.40 Christmas Day here so Merry Christmas to all who read my drivel.

Merry christmas, are you in Oz?