Is it Boxing Day today?

jawillwill

Come on then you clever people, settle an argument for me.

I was always under the impression that Boxing Day was the first working day after Christmas (i.e. Monday 27th this year), but it seems most people seem to think it is always the 26th.

Am I right? I can't seem to find much online about it, which probably suggests I'm wrong?

When the 26th December falls on a Sunday, traditionally Boxing Day is moved to the 27th December, supposedly to maintain Sunday church-going and other Sunday observance[citation needed]. In Britain, Boxing Day is sometimes mistakenly celebrated on the following day after Christmas Day, which is 26 December. However, Boxing Day is the first Saturday or weekday after Christmas (see definition in the Oxford English Dictionary). Like Christmas Day, Boxing Day is a bank holiday (public holiday) throughout Britain. When Christmas Day falls on a Friday or Saturday, Boxing Day, which is a bank holiday, is the following Monday.

Copy and pasted from the Wikipedia fact machine.

Come on then you clever people, settle an argument for me.

I was always under the impression that Boxing Day was the first working day after Christmas (i.e. Monday 27th this year), but it seems most people seem to think it is always the 26th.

Am I right? I can't seem to find much online about it, which probably suggests I'm wrong?

It is the first WEEK DAY after Christmas day but was changed by the modern media aided and abetted by governments who have conspired to make it 26th December because of the thick people in this country for whom to work out which day it is is far too complicated. Bless.

Boxing Day is always the day after Christmas Day. Both days are, by law, Bank Holidays, however this year, with both Bank Holidays falling on a weekend. when banks would normally be shut anyway, (only in recent years have banks been allowed to open on Saturdays).

Therefore, so that all the over-worked bank employees do not, (allegedly), miss out on their Xmas holidays, the following two working days are set aside in lieu thereof, as per 2010.

To prepare all the 'thickies' amongs us for next year, (2011), when Christmas Day falls on a Sunday, and thus Boxing Day will be on a Monday, both the following Wednesday and Thursday will be deemed Bank Holidays in lieu, so start saving for an expensive fortnight.

Whatever, though, the day after Xmas Day, i.e. 26th December will still be Boxing Day

A similar arrangement applies to New Years Day, which some of you will have spotted, falls on a Saturday this year and so the following Monday will be deemed a Bank Holiday.

Amen to all that, Merry Xmas everybody.

This is all very well, but it isn't Boxing Day, it's St Szczepan's Day.

(I have no idea what that means either my laptop just got hijacked by the GF)

FWIW down here if a Public (ie bank holiday) falls on a weekend day then

For Government Employees (ie Locals) they get 6 weeks off

For Banks they get the next day off

For anyone working for a living, tough sh1t you lost a day's holiday

Christmas Day is not a holiday except nobody works, and Eid is a holliday but anyone working for a Multi-National has to work because their boss is working

I preferred it when we just went down the pub at lunchtime no matter what day of the week it was

Oh, and you have NO idea how many households of mixed Nationalities had massive rows on Friday because other countries open their presents on Christmas Eve Evening... You could hear the wailing above that of the Mosques.

hell, now I'm confused, must be time for a Turkey Curry or a Sandwich or something

This is all very well, but it isn't Boxing Day, it's St Szczepan's Day.

(I have no idea what that means either my laptop just got hijacked by the GF)

FWIW down here if a Public (ie bank holiday) falls on a weekend day then

For Government Employees (ie Locals) they get 6 weeks off

For Banks they get the next day off

For anyone working for a living, tough sh1t you lost a day's holiday

Christmas Day is not a holiday except nobody works, and Eid is a holliday but anyone working for a Multi-National has to work because their boss is working

I preferred it when we just went down the pub at lunchtime no matter what day of the week it was

Oh, and you have NO idea how many households of mixed Nationalities had massive rows on Friday because other countries open their presents on Christmas Eve Evening... You could hear the wailing above that of the Mosques.

hell, now I'm confused, must be time for a Turkey Curry or a Sandwich or something

If it's turkey curry for lunch then by definition it must be Boxing Day.

yAWN, Christmas Day on Sunday - next day (monday) is Boxing day (being a little bit controversial there folks), but that's when you get the Christmas day holiday, then you get the Boxing day holiday Tuesday, and all back to work on Weds, just like this year.