New Years Eve

Thorpe-le-Saint

Surely there is someone else out there who cannot stand it? Always too expensive/busy and the crowning turd is your local pub thinking it can charge you for entry. I'm trying something different tonight and going to see The Foals instead.

*I appreciate that a gig will have more people than my local pub, but that's not the point.

I have spent far too many NYE's expecting a great night and ending up wandering from pub to pub trying to find the right venue. We used to go to the Lord Nelson on Poole Quay, which was a great night under the old landlord who left 10 years ago, since then we've never really found a replacement venue.

We've given up now, and tonight me the kids and Mrs Duck are eating out at an Italian and then going home about 10.I must be getting old, but I'm really looking forward to

Off to the pantomime with the little one and the Grand Parents.

Then a quiet one in with the Mrs.

I hate new year's eve too. Used to enjoy it when I was younger, but can't be arsed these days. The BBC coverage also winds me up, with the presenter constantly banging on about the awesome firework display going on on the Embankment, then they cut to pictures of the crowd gawping and 'ooohhhing' at the fireworks. Just leave a camera - via the red button - on the firework display so we can watch it uninterrupted and get rid of the retarded presenters while it's on!

Cant stand it! Always used to work given the chance, cause if they wanted to pay me double time for a nothing event all the better. Tonight i shall stay in with the Mrs a takeaway and a good film. Will i stay up to see the new year in . . . .NO!

I just dont get it, the date changes every night woopy do!

Haven't 'celebrated' for years. Yet another overrated non-event IMO.

Anyway, we've got my 2 yo granddaughter staying for a couple of days and I'll probably be awake half the night because she doesn't like 'fineworks' as she calls them.

We'll catch up on lots of recorded programmes rather than watch the 'entertainment' on offer on TV tonight and enjoy each other's company - who could want more?

Ive never rated NYE.

The pubs charge you to go in,then they are full of people who never go out any other time of the year and cant handle their drink and unless you have won the lotttery,dont bother trying to get a taxi either.

I always stay home,but the tv is always showing Jools Holland or fireworks in London.

Ah well a dvd it is then.

supa dupa mikey has many years of new years eve experiences to call upon....

I expect you will be just having some alone time tonight...? right..?

It's "me" time, and no. I am going out on the taaahn.

Guess you're just going to stay in, watch Das Boot and touch yourself then TDD?

NYE here in the Netherlands is quite fun (probably because they don't celebrate Christmas as much as we do) - can already hear the fire-crackers going off - sounds like Beirut in the early 1990's!

I've never understood the "paying at the door" that pubs in the UK have - this is quite a recent thing, no?

Anyway, Happy New Year to you all and hope that this time next year sees us all (and Saints) healthy, happier and wiser!!

NYE is pretty much always a major dissapointment, i have tried the local pub, London, the Opera House in Bournemouth, the working mens club and also a mates house party.

House parties are always the best way, a decent night with the mates and a few drinks, everything else i have tried i have either been wandering around trying to find a decent venue or spending far too much cash.

Xmas Eve is always a better night out.

No, it's always a big let-down.

Not doing any parties this year - just seeing some mates for a quick drink, going round the girlfriend's to meet her parents, having something at my parents, going round the bro's and his girlfriend's to see the new year in and swear at the TV.

NYE is generally rubbish, what makes me laugh is all the people at work getting excited about asking each other "what are you doing for new years??" .

For a lot of them I thnk it is just a chance to go out for a drink which is rare for them, whereas we do it every weekend at the football so don't need to mark the passing of time with an overrated attempt to "see in the new year"

I'm not even entirely sure what people are celebrating?

nothing has actually happened.

NYE is always sh!t, but meh. I'm going clubbing in Fleet, home to only one club which is always packed, boiling hot and very expensive. Just means i'll have to get trashed before I get to the club...

Is this your first year of not hanging around street corners with a bottle of cider throwing stones at buses?

Last year I also went to a club, the 4 years before that I was at house parties.

Were you invited or was it when where you had to crawl under the fence like Will in Inbetweeners, you remind me a lot of him, any chance of sticking a photo of your mum on here by the way?

NYE is generally rubbish, what makes me laugh is all the people at work getting excited about asking each other "what are you doing for new years??" .

For a lot of them I thnk it is just a chance to go out for a drink which is rare for them, whereas we do it every weekend at the football so don't need to mark the passing of time with an overrated attempt to "see in the new year"

I'm not even entirely sure what people are celebrating?

nothing has actually happened.

these types are the ones that also get excited about the work xmas party and bang on and on about it for weeks, the twice a yearers that do f*ck all else apart from watch x-factor, come dancing and Big Brother. Every workplace has them, the ones that cant understand why you are not planning what you are wearing, how you are getting to and if you are staying over at the xmas party months in advance, just because it is the highlight in fact, the only light of their social calander doesn't mean it is everyones.

Over hyped shower really, where you pay more to go anywhere and more for anything. It is just another night out and another nightreally. Tomorrow is Saturday and football day to me not new years day. 3 points is all I am thinking about.

I have 2 kids so for the 9th year in a row will not be going out. Have a couple of friends (the godparents to the kids) coming round for a few cheeky drinks and a bit of guitar hero, mario kart, and other Wii games. Will be nice and will not cost me an arm and a leg!!