Members only on Match Day Threads

dubai_phil

Guys

Until the server can truly cope with the workload on Match days then you have to restrict access to the main Saints section to those who have paid.

I think this is actually a krap idea, BUT the performance the past 3 games has been awful, and I don't see any other way around the problem.

It HAS to be temporary as the banter and shared emotions are the life and soul of this forum and we need everyone we can get cracking one off on game day.

But you HAVE to sort it out guys, it's embarrassing

We have 3 categories of user on the match thread.

Full Members

Registered Users

Guests

As a first pass I reckon that kicking off the Guests on the main forum for Matchdays would reduce >1/3 of the traffic and not affect any of the regulars, paying or otherwise.

Should that not work then we should consider just allowing Full Members on.

I know this thread will be closed soon but, seriously guys, something proactive needs to be done. Let's try next matchday with only paid members having access to the 'Saints' sub forum. We need to ensure that a commercial (non profit) venture such as this doesn't start breaching consumer laws. Seriously.

I would agree with St Chalet. Try stopping guests first, that's what used to happen. Something has to change, people pay for this service. I say disable the other forums at match times as well. A few years ago, there was never this much trouble, and the forum was free and there were more active members!

I don't think it should be members only. For the money we've collectively spent, I think it's fair to expect a forum which doesn't crash during a match. Get in touch with Keith Legg, he managed to do it successfully with SaintsForever and he was a decent guy, so would probably be more than happy to give tips and let you guys know which hosting company/equipment he used.

We have 3 categories of user on the match thread.

Full Members

Registered Users

Guests

As a first pass I reckon that kicking off the Guests on the main forum for Matchdays would reduce >1/3 of the traffic and not affect any of the regulars, paying or otherwise.

Should that not work then we should consider just allowing Full Members on.

Can the config settings be changed on the fly?

I would say start backwards from only allowing paid members and then flick a switch to introduce registered users if all is OK. I'd be surprised if this isn't a dynamic settings rather than something that needs a reboot or suchlike.

All people are asking for is a bit of proactivity for a commercial (not for profit) service. The last thing anyone wants is for the owners of this forum to fall foul of UK consumer law (charging for a service that can't be fullfilled)

I don't think it should be members only. For the money we've collectively spent, I think it's fair to expect a forum which doesn't crash during a match. Get in touch with Keith Legg, he managed to do it successfully with SaintsForever and he was a decent guy, so would probably be more than happy to give tips and let you guys know which hosting company/equipment he used.

I believe Keith put in a lot of his own money into that, as well as others donations. And I don't expect the runners of this forum to bear the brunt of ALL the costs, which is why the subscription is reasonably fair. Keith did run a good forum though, and this place is great too, just needs to sort itself out on match days!

It is really bad tbh.

It's not just match days but it's like this whenever anything of note happens at this football club. It's not fit for purpose at all.

There are so many other forums around on the net that seem to manage it but don't charge their members.

Guys

Until the server can truly cope with the workload on Match days then you have to restrict access to the main Saints section to those who have paid.

I think this is actually a krap idea, BUT the performance the past 3 games has been awful, and I don't see any other way around the problem.

It HAS to be temporary as the banter and shared emotions are the life and soul of this forum and we need everyone we can get cracking one off on game day.

But you HAVE to sort it out guys, it's embarrassing

This.

It was very dissapointing last night, it in some ways spoiled one the best evenings a Sants supporter could have because it made sharing those moments and feelings impossible. Many of us using the service do so because we are very remote from Southampton, the board is where we come to feel 'at home' during important moments for SFC - not just match days.

Unless you KNOW what the problem is and KNOW that action z will sort it - PLEASE! you must limit the numbers (as it says you will on the site) at peak times until you KNOW you have it fixed. You are being grossly unfair to your paying members unless you do.

How many other sites charge a subscription?

How many fall flat on their arses on matchdays?

It embarrassing and bloody annoying.

This. The forum performance was poor in the days of S4E but there was a period where it performed better than this site is currently. And it was free. Fans of other clubs were laughing at us yesterday from their free forums.

This. The forum performance was poor in the days of S4E but there was a period where it performed better than this site is currently. And it was free. Fans of other clubs were laughing at us yesterday from their free forums.

Really? The b*stards. Which clubs/fans were involved Hypo? We should do something about it. Maybe get a bunch of lads together and sort them out?

A lot of other forums don't allow Match commentary threads for this very reason.

Do we really need 9 posts in the row telling us there has been a goal? Perhaps some better restrictions on the match threads?

Banning guest/non paying members risks alienating potential new users. I agree something needs to be done, but it is not always a simple solution.

A lot of other forums don't allow Match commentary threads for this very reason.

Do we really need 9 posts in the row telling us there has been a goal? Perhaps some better restrictions on the match threads?

Banning guest/non paying members risks alienating potential new users. I agree something needs to be done, but it is not always a simple solution.

The match day threads provide one of the more entertaining aspects of this messageboard (yes, my life is sad and I should get out more!)

I'm sure there's a computer somewhere that can handle a few megabytes of data in a two hour period. It was the 21st century the last time I looked.

I have Paul Allen's phone number if that helps...? ;-)

The match day threads provide one of the more entertaining aspects of this messageboard (yes, my life is sad and I should get out more!)

I'm sure there's a computer somewhere that can handle a few megabytes of data in a two hour period. It was the 21st century the last time I looked.

I have Paul Allen's phone number if that helps...? ;-)

I have no idea what the spec of the server is.

Paul Allen? Microsoft is probably the problem, not the solution. ;)

I have no idea what the spec of the server is.

Paul Allen? Microsoft is probably the problem, not the solution. ;)

;-)

Fwiw, the test harnesses we have at work easily reach 10,000 TPS (banking transactions per second) using a bog standard 16 CPU Windows server, so not too shabby.

Well, tomorrow is nearly here and match day looms.

Fingers crossed, I have to txt ericofarabia any funnies from the match thread & he is txting me reports live from the game.

Think I know which one will work best, even after he consumes 8 pints of OSH or Old Thumper before KO