Squad Depth

70's Mike

With Saga gone and indications that Rasiak, Skacel and Davis may follow , will we really be struggling if we have a couple of injuries or suspensions.

With Michael Svensson , apparently, only playing Saturday games are we going to be spread to thinly especially at the back or will Wotton fill in as and when until Davies is fit because i am not convinced by Thomas's abilities.

I am looking forward to the season but concerned that unless we can field our best 11 we may struggle

Edited by 70's Mike

This season is going to be all about survival and try to consolidate our status in this division,this will be done whilst being down to the bare minimum,bare bones if you like,of playing staff IMHO.

We are going to have to get by with what we have available,be that a relativley unknown nipper coming into the side,with no or little experience.

I still maintain trying to stengthen the full back positions are imperative,but i can't see it happening.

We could find ourselves in a similar position as last season,the only difference being swapping the lack of center halfs for the lack of full backs,cue a return to numerous occasions when players are asked to play out of position thus the knock on effect will be to weaken many areas on the pitch.

All IMHO.

This season is going to be all about survival and try to consolidate our status in this division,this will be done whilst being down to the bare minimum,bare bones if you like,of playing staff IMHO.

We are going to have to get by with what we have available,be that a relativley unknown nipper coming into the side,with no or little experience.

Yes Totally Agree

I still maintain trying to stengthen the full back positions are imperative,but i can't see it happening.

We could find ourselves in a similar position as last season,the only difference being swapping the lack of center halfs for the lack of full backs,cue a return to numerous occasions when players are asked to play out of position thus the knock on effect will be to weaken many areas on the pitch.

All IMHO.

Yes Totally Agree with your first two sentences but lets wait and see about the fullbacks although it does appear to worry lots of fans

I am quite happy with playing James & Surman at full back , The modern game and type of football we will be playing calls for young fit and versatile players in these positions, the days of hulking great stoppers in full back area is long gone. Hopefully these lads will remain relativly injury free but if not we have other young players who look like they could perform in our defence , Mills , Gobern , Racine Etc. I have total trust in JP and wish him all the luck in the world and even if we get beat tomorrow JP has been a gust of fresh air through the club.

COYS

Surely we have all accepted over the close season that Saga, Rasiak and Skacel are surplus to requirements, and not just for financial reasons. The squad is larger now than it needs to be because their replacements are already on board, but hopefully will soon be scaled down. Davis would be fine if he stays, but if not, Bart and Forecast are perfectly adequate to cover. Only think wrong with the squad now, is that its too big.

I don't see that at all.

We're playing one of up and can potentially use McGoldrick, John, Patterson, BWP. 2 wide players from Holmes, Surman, Dyer, McLaggon, Lallana, BWP, Thomson. 1 attacking midfielder from Lallana, John, Euell, Surman. 2 central midfielders from Gillet, Schneiderlin, Wotton, Euell, Surman. 2 Full backs from Surman, Mills, James, Hatch, Schneiderlin, Thomas. 2 centre backs from Svensson, Davies, Perry, Thomas, Lancashire, Wotton. 1 keeper from Bart, Forecast, Davis.

Perhaps could do with another central midfielder, but if there were an injury crisis we could find a loan. We don't have a huge squad, but certainly one that's big enough to balance competition and a bit of morale. Having an excessive squad with endless unhappy players, out of form players and pointless players got us nowhere in the past.

22 players on your list, 10 of which are completely new to this level.

4 injuries and 2 suspensions , at the same time and we are down to 16 players , 10 of which could be novices.

they didn't rule out additions at the forum

Exactly. I noticed that Poortvliet said "Many teams in England play 4-4-2, so I believe the full-back spot should be where attacks start from. You need your best players there to build moves and it helps if they can also play in midfield." OS Source

I always thought Surman was going to be key there, but young James looks the real deal at RB. We look really strong down the right, possibly for the first time in a couple of seasons. There are concerns about injuries, but at least the Manager is aware of the importance. This was not always the case with Burley!

If it's a case of replacements it has to be youngsters. It is painfully obvious from both this season and last, the allegedly experienced players, do not have the ability or pace to fit in to the present setup, without damaging it's teamwork. That is why they are not playing and being shipped out.

IMO there will be more young players like Holmes/Schneiderlin brought in as replacements.

Edited by derry

Davis/Bialkowski/Forecast

James/Hatch       Thomas/Perry/Svensson/Davies         Surman/Mills

Gillett/Wotton/Schneiderlin

Thomson/BWP                Lallana                         Holmes/Dyer

John/McGoldrick

Not too bad imo. Also many other young players in reserve such as Racine, Gobern, White, Pernecky, Paterson etc etc. Certainly better than the no pace no movement squad of last season! :)

Davis/Bialkowski/Forecast

James/Hatch       Thomas/Perry/Svensson/Davies         Surman/Mills

Gillett/Wotton/Schneiderlin

Thomson/BWP                Lallana                         Holmes/Dyer

John/McGoldrick

Not too bad imo. Also many other young players in reserve such as Racine, Gobern, White, Pernecky, Paterson etc etc. Certainly better than the no pace no movement squad of last season! :)

Now your talking. Lancashire played v Woking on Tuesday, so he's fit now as well.