New york new york

Have got an opportunity to relocate to New York, my missus being the high flying executive that she is, is being head hunted.

Was wondering if there were any fellow Saints supporters already there, and although I have been there before, never thought of living there, so where is the nicest place to live.

Yup, I live there. I've got a mate who I used to live with there who's a Saints fan by name, but doesn't really have an interest. I know one other Saints fan who organises various Premiership and England game meetups (and Saints when we're on), plus there's some chap called NYSaint or similar on here who's I've never met (I don't much like the look of him mind, just between you and me).

Weird - I wrote a fairly long response but it failed to post. Here's an abbreviated version.

There's four or five of us around he meet up every year or so when we're on TV.

Happy to help provide a little more details but can you describe roughly what you're looking for from the area you want to move to? Here's a map to give you an idea of the neighborhoods. Upper East Side is relatively inexpensive compared to much of the city, if you want to live in Manhattan and is probably good for late 20s to late 30s couples. Upper West side is similar a little more pricey and can skew slightly older in demographics. Midtown is generally where the tourists hangout or the older people. Hells Kitchen, where I live, is younger and a little less populated given it had a rather dodgy past, and has been redeveloped. West Village is very cool and expensive - you'll get a very small apartment for not much cash but its got more of a small community atmosphere and is really pleasant. IF I had the cash I'd move there. Chelsea is predominantly gay and has many fantastic art galleries. East village and the Lower East Side is run down and an area for starving artists - generally speaking, in fact all of the above are generalisations but will help provide an outline of the city. Financial district and down town is generally quite sparse and is freezing in winter due to the wind coming off of the water. If you're thinking about commuting in an around the city public transportation is good, generally runs on time and is a bargain compared to the Tube. Subway's run pretty much everywhere in the city although the far East and far West sides of the island aren't that well catered to. Feel free to PM me or email me and I'll happily provide a little more detail.

p.s. LOL. Cheers Deano - not sure how you've made that assessment but happy to meet for a beer to help dispel that myth.

Thanks guys, really useful information. I will be coming over with most of my family, not all of it unfortunately, as my eldest daughter who is 14, will be staying with her mum. I will be bringing my son, Matthew (2), named after you know who, and my daughter (6), both with my current wife, so will ideally need to be somewhere near some decent schools, and children friendly, farely quiet and spacious would be nice. My wife will be working in the financial district, so will need to get in and out everyday. I will be taking it easy looking after the kids, so no real demands. Have been given a time frame of 6 to 12 months so plenty of time to plan, although sure it will flybe, i mean fly by.

From that description I'd probably recommend Brooklyn. New York City is a tough place to bring kids up in, a majority of my friends that have gone through this tend to move out of the city when the children turn 3 or 4. Put it this way, I live in a really nice building with a gym, tennis courts etc but there's only one small playground which is next to a bus depot and immediately next to a dog run. Its not exactly inviting. Now that the snow has been on the ground for a while we also realise we've actually surrounded by a giant wee-pad for dogs hahaha.

Brooklyn is south of the city and an easy commute into lower Manhattan where your wife will work. Alternatively, if she's a hardy soul you might consider Long Island. I know that Darrell Crane, who used to use the handle NYC Saint lives out there now with his wife.

Ok thanks again for the info, have some friends who used to live in New Jersey, said it was nice there.

You might want to think about Montclair in NJ. Good place for families, good schools, good rail links to NYC. I have a friend there who commutes every day.

From that description I'd probably recommend Brooklyn. New York City is a tough place to bring kids up in, a majority of my friends that have gone through this tend to move out of the city when the children turn 3 or 4. Put it this way, I live in a really nice building with a gym, tennis courts etc but there's only one small playground which is next to a bus depot and immediately next to a dog run. Its not exactly inviting. Now that the snow has been on the ground for a while we also realise we've actually surrounded by a giant wee-pad for dogs hahaha.

Brooklyn is south of the city and an easy commute into lower Manhattan where your wife will work. Alternatively, if she's a hardy soul you might consider Long Island. I know that Darrell Crane, who used to use the handle NYC Saint lives out there now with his wife.

Nutshell.

There's some great areas in Brooklyn. Park Slope / Prospect Park area especially is a lovely areas, great for families and well served by subways - won't take your "current" wife long to get to FiDi.

http://www.sublet.com/images/brooklyn1.jpg

NYSaint - you're not doing yourself any favors...your neighbourhood map didn't even have West Village on it!

Oh FFS, I am not posting from Winchester and its really frustrating to me that the rumors persist. I love New York and am over there right now, so give it a rest!

If you really were 'there', you'd call it 'here'.

If you do come over, letissisgod, give us a shout and me and my buddies will show you the Hamptons in the summer. We won't show you them in the winter - they don't look as impressive in the cold.

Oh FFS, I am not posting from Winchester and its really frustrating to me that the rumors persist. I love New York and am over there right now, so give it a rest!

Sorry pal, you know I was only joking! By the way (going off on a complete tangent) was it you that was after some laminate flooring the other day (It may well have been someone entirely different)? Just I dunno if you've noticed, but there's a thread about it here which might be of some use to you.