Reasons to be cheerful Part 1

1965onwards

It is probably true to say that most Saints fans feel a mixture of optimism and slight worry at the moment,so lets look at the positives.

1.Our poor financial position is being addressed.

2.For the first time since WGS we have a manager who exudes confidence and knows what

he is doing,and is carrying out a carefully thought out plan of action.

3.We seem to have a properly fit squad,again first time since WGS.

4.We are going to see some of the best,intelligent,football since the early 1980s.

5.The team will be full of players hungry to do well for themselves,the club and the fans.You

can't fail to see how quickly the youngsters have taken on board the new ideas,and how

they are enjoying themselves.

6.We have the best fans in the world.They will be supportive to the young players to help

maintain their confidence.

7.The whole club is pulling in the same direction for once,and disruptive influences have been

marginalised,and the vast majority of fans are behind what is happening.

8.We have the best centre of defense in the league in terms of ability,experience and again

intelligence.

9.The full-back situation will i feel be addressed when the high-earners have been moved on.

10.The youngsters will soon learn to kick back.

For those who fear our youngsters will be over-run by big teams,i feel this fear is over-hyped.The way we are going to play means that we will have far greater possession than

the opposition,teams can only hurt us when they have the ball.Possession of the ball breeds confidence in players.I think we will probably have a greater proportion of possession than any other team in the CCC ths season,and the players will improve quickly with experience.

I also think that the way we will play will see far fewer corners and free-kicks around the box given away,which is where most teams in the CCC look to score their goals.It is much

easier to play football when you play intelligently,defending and going forward.

There is every reason to be optimistic.

I don't understand what this full back situation is.

For me, Surman looked better there than anyone else we've had since Bale. He's more composed, reads the game well and will learn his position quickly. As for right back, look at the rubbish we've had there?! FFS, we've put up with Wright and Ostlund. From what I've seen of James, he has the ability already to do at very least as good a job as those two. Then there's hatch and mills as well. So we're not too bad in these positions.

Agreed with all the above.

My only concern would be that many of the comments must be from posters who have not seen James, Surman, Mills and Hatch play. Or they thought that the previous numerous full backs were acceptable when clearly the standard of our backs has been very poor for some time. Even allowing for Bale being a left side mid field and not a left back.

Things will get better as our current crop show there here to stay.

It is probably true to say that most Saints fans feel a mixture of optimism and slight worry at the moment,so lets look at the positives.

2.For the first time since WGS we have a manager who exudes confidence and knows what

he is doing,and is carrying out a carefully thought out plan of action.

4.We are going to see some of the best,intelligent,football since the early 1980s.

5.The team will be full of players hungry to do well for themselves,the club and the fans.You

can't fail to see how quickly the youngsters have taken on board the new ideas,and how

they are enjoying themselves.

6.We have the best fans in the world.They will be supportive to the young players to help

7.The whole club is pulling in the same direction for once,and disruptive influences have been

marginalised,and the vast majority of fans are behind what is happening.

8.We have the best centre of defense in the league in terms of ability,experience and again

intelligence.

9.The full-back situation will i feel be addressed when the high-earners have been moved on.

For those who fear our youngsters will be over-run by big teams,i feel this fear is over-hyped.The way we are going to play means that we will have far greater possession than

the opposition,teams can only hurt us when they have the ball.Possession of the ball breeds confidence in players.I think we will probably have a greater proportion of possession than any other team in the CCC ths season,and the players will improve quickly with experience.

I also think that the way we will play will see far fewer corners and free-kicks around the box given away,which is where most teams in the CCC look to score their goals.It is much

easier to play football when you play intelligently,defending and going forward.

Why didnt you use the whole page when writing reasons 1 through 10? Waste of trees IMO.

I hope you are right - and I am, as usual at this time of year, optimistic - but some of your statements are purely speculative. e.g.

4. A bold forecast - let's just hope so.

8. Not sure I agree yet - a few "ifs" involved here - can you really say it's the BEST in

the league at the moment?

9. Ummmm? Will they? Will it be a good thing if they do?

For me, Surman looked better there than anyone else we've had since Bale. He's more composed, reads the game well and will learn his position quickly. As for right back, look at the rubbish we've had there?! FFS, we've put up with Wright and Ostlund. From what I've seen of James, he has the ability already to do at very least as good a job as those two. Then there's hatch and mills as well. So we're not too bad in these positions.

Don't forget Thomas and Makin too. The RB slot has been troublesome since Dodd 'lost it'. Telfer, Nillson, Delap, Prutton all played there with varying success but no consistency.

I personally hope that if we ship out Rasiak and Skacel, there will be some funds to bring in a full-back IF we need to.

Really? Really really?

I agree with most of the rest of it though. I like the way we're playing and I think it will be fun.

Optimistic thread heading post, which is refreshing to say the least. We shall see how the season is going to pan out after 10 games or so. For now, all the positivism is good, and things seem to be alright, given the club's constraints. But a competitive ball hasn't even been kicked. Let's keep it up for when things aren't going so well, and show our support, eh..? Beginning with 3pm tomorrow and 5pm on the last day of the season.

It's interesting that a comment made by JP suggested that he wants players who are / have been in midfield to play the full back positions, as he needs them to be comfortable on the ball so we can begin many offensives from those wide positions. It seems to be a clear plan of his to play the experienced lads at CB to cope with any the threat through the middle but his mantra is to play football from the wide positions from back to front. I like his thinking.

Slight worry is rather understating it, I'm afraid.

We are ridding ourselves of anybody who earns a wage above a certain level, closing corners, discontinuing bus passes, sacking backroom staff, etc.

2.For the first time since WGS we have a manager who exudes confidence and knows what he is doing,and is carrying out a carefully thought out plan of action.

QED Poortvliet is as good as WGS was.

It seemed to me that Pearson had increased the fitness levels of the squad in a comparatively short spell, but I'm obviously mistaken.

Says he trying to peer through the mists of his crystal ball.

5.The team will be full of players hungry to do well for themselves,the club and the fans.You can't fail to see how quickly the youngsters have taken on board the new ideas,and how they are enjoying themselves.

Have Perry, Wotton and Killer taken on board these ideas too, or is it only a youngster thing? I'm sure they are enjoying themselves. If they do well, they are right in the front window saying come and get me to the Premiership clubs.

6.We have the best fans in the world.They will be supportive to the young players to maintain their confidence.

Yes, most of us will at least give them a chance to prove what they can do.

7.The whole club is pulling in the same direction for once,and disruptive influences have been marginalised,and the vast majority of fans are behind what is happening.

One board of disrupters have marginalised the other lot - for the time being. The vast majority of fans have no choice but to see what happens. that doesn't mean at all that they are all behind it.

8.We have the best centre of defense in the league in terms of ability,experience and again intelligence.

Provided that they remain uninjured. With Killer having been injured the past few seasons, Perry getting on a bit, things could change in that department.

You mean that until we get the high earners off the books, then we have huge gaping holes in our defence?

Is that you, Michael?

Until we actually start playing matches that really matter, like the one against Cardiff on Saturday, the more realistic amongst us will proceed with caution when it comes to making predictions.

When you pay your fiver you'll get the chance to edit your posts

I tried giving them some money on the first day, tried setting up a Paypal account which seemed to take forever; think I've got one now - in fact, seemed I had one already. I'll have another go when I have the time and patience to try throwing money at them again.

It seemed to me that Pearson had increased the fitness levels of the squad in a comparatively short spell, but I'm obviously mistaken.

There was no mention of who was to credit for that, it was a statement. Stop picking for pickings sake..

Optimism, spirit, teamwork and a lack of fear improves a team out of all proportion to the collection of individuals, such as we have seen in the past.

Caution, fear, cause teams to freeze and perform poorly as we did last season.

Give me confidence and optimism every time.

It was a statement that seemed to be flawed to me. I'll pick if I like.

It was picking just so that you seemed like you had something interesting to say. Think about your reply first then you might come up with something worth reading.

I find this sudden positivety quite scary and totally without either realism or foundation. The preseason results were not good whichever way you try and spin them. I believe some on here are in for a nasty shock this season. We will do well to escape relegation...that will be a good season.

The positivety on here while admirable is not quantified by fact

It was picking just so that you seemed like you had something interesting to say. Think about your reply first then you might come up with something worth reading.

OK. You disagree with what I wrote. It's your prerogative. So you don't think that Pearson had improved the squad's fitness levels. There are several on here who had commented on how they felt that Pearson had improved fitness levels, but i'll just have accept that you are not one of them.

Edited by Wes Tender

I find this sudden positivety quite scary and totally without either realism or foundation. The preseason results were not good whichever way you try and spin them. I believe some on here are in for a nasty shock this season. We will do well to escape relegation...that will be a good season.

The positivety on here while admirable is not quantified by fact

Have you seen the new team?

Have you seen the new team?

He obviously hasn't.

They are unlike anything I have seen in red and white stripes before - it is possible that they will just flatter to deceive but the potential is there for a great season.

• 8 years later...
January 2017 version:

1. VVD

2. Romeu

3. EFL semi-finals, first leg won

4. Boufal

5. Academy players coming through (Sims, Stephens, McQueen, Hesketh)

6. Bertrand

Alternative view:

1. Definitely leaving in the summer

2. Possibly leaving in the summer. Has been great but overall the midfield has been far weaker than previous seasons

3. Great. Second leg vital for the entire season. Lose and its been a cluster****

4. Injury prone and too in and out of games. Certainly hasn't replaced Mane or even got close

5. Great if they are good enough. Only really McQueen has consistently demonstrated that so far this season.

6. Possibly leaving in the summer and hasn't been nearly as consistent as last season or the year before.

Didn't realise this was a thread dug up from 9 years ago. I read every point in the OP trying to decide whether it was a genuine or sarcastic take on the current state of play... Before I realised my mistake, I came to the conclusion it was a sarcastic one!

Anyone else think that the dull football, lacking in penetration we are playing this season has similarities with the Poortvliet/Wotte stuff?

Yes, but not because the football is dull. It isn't now and it wasn't then.

The similarity is that the manager has been brought in with a specific plan in mind but hasn't been given the tools to deliver it properly.

Reading that first post is incredible. So much of that optimism from that pre-season was misplaced. The fears of many came true when we were just over ran in most games, I think that season destroyed the careers of some of our promising young players. It was too much for them to all come into at once.