The use of the main forum by fans of other teams

Spudders

Can we have a sensible discussion (and ideally a poll) about this rule that states fans of other teams should not post on the main forum (but restrict their use to other areas such as the lounge or muppet show). It’s a rule that seems to have been relaxed a bit recently anyway, but why do we even need it? I’d be interested to hear the ‘official’ reason for this rule?

If other fans register and then start winding people up, being abusive and so on then they should quite rightly having their access restricted or be banned, but doesn’t that apply to saints fans as well!

A couple of weeks ago we had a Bournemouth fan who made a decent contribution and I’ve just read a couple of great posts from a Brighton fan, also let’s not forget our fishy friend mack rill (to be honest I think he’s secretly a saints fan anyway!), he’s always entertaining if you can understand what the hell he’s on about! ;)

Personally I think some contributions from sensible posters with different views of saints can only complement and improve the forum.

What are others thoughts? As a saints forum we’re naturally going to be the majority on here, but what’s the problem with others making a valid contribution to the main board? It's only ever gonna be a few people, it's not like the forum will get over run with other teams fans!

Reminder - Use of the Main Board

Please find attached the following lifted from the forum rules.

Southampton Football Club

The Saints - often referred to as the "Main Board", this is the forum for all Saints-related discussion, including the team, club finances, boardroom discussion, ticketing, transfer rumours, etc. We ask that supporters of other clubs do not post on this forum. Use "The Lounge" or "The Muppet Show" instead. This forum is now only visible to registered members to protect the load on the server at peak times, particularly matchdays. To view this forum, please register.

I always welcome some sensible contribution to the board from other fans and even a little banter, unfortunately some of the morons on the forum can't see banter for banter and smash the granny out of the report button as soon as anyone speaks out of turn or is not serious enough.

If other fans register and then start winding people up, being abusive and so on then they should quite rightly having their access restricted or be banned, but doesn’t that apply to saints fans as well!

A couple of weeks ago we had a Bournemouth fan who made a decent contribution and I’ve just read a couple of great posts from a Brighton fan, also let’s not forget our fishy friend mack rill (to be honest I think he’s secretly a saints fan anyway!), he’s always entertaining if you can understand what the hell he’s on about! ;)

Personally I think some contributions from sensible posters with different views of saints can only complement and improve the forum.

I go along with you in that I have appreciated the input of sensible posters from elsewhere - eg the Bournemouth chap,Brighton (Turvey), Tartan Owl a while ago,and even some of the skates.

The a-holes who just come on here looking for a wind up on the other hand should just be blocked.

I go along with you in that I have appreciated the input of sensible posters from elsewhere - eg the Bournemouth chap,Brighton (Turvey), Tartan Owl a while ago,and even some of the skates.

The a-holes who just come on here looking for a wind up on the other hand should just be blocked.

Tend to agree with this and that has been the policy I have generally followed. Having the rule in place does mean that we can have a much lower tolerance level on opposing fans.

Tend to agree with this and that has been the policy I have generally followed. Having the rule in place does mean that we can have a much lower tolerance level on opposing fans.

True, but people who 'could' have made a decent contribution (but who do take the time to read the rules first) will have a look and see they are not supposed to post in the main forum so they won't.

Why not get the rules amended to say something along the lines of 'fans of other teams can post on the main forum provided 'such & such' (and I'm not specifically aiming this question at you St Chalet, you are doing a fine job), but I just wanted to open this up for discussion.

Edited by Spudders

Over the years on this forum and its predecessors we have had some good posters from other clubs - Southend, Sunderland, Wednesday even Derby ( except some berk called RammY), and I would hate it if we were so snobbish as to not welcome their constructive and good spirited posts.

By all means ban the wind up merchants but please let us keep it open to constructive posters from other clubs.

By all means ban the wind up merchants but please let us keep it open to constructive posters from other clubs.

Absolutely. Any trolls/wind up merchants though need to be dealt with a lot swifter though, that BHA berk got away with murder.... Even if he was quite laughable.

If fans of other teams are happy to come on and genuinely discuss things then fine! (Flyer the QPR fan for instance.)

Can we have a sensible discussion (and ideally a poll) about this rule that states fans of other teams should not post on the main forum (but restrict their use to other areas such as the lounge or muppet show). It’s a rule that seems to have been relaxed a bit recently anyway, but why do we even need it? I’d be interested to hear the ‘official’ reason for this rule?

What are others thoughts? As a saints forum we’re naturally going to be the majority on here, but what’s the problem with others making a valid contribution to the main board? It's only ever gonna be a few people, it's not like the forum will get over run with other teams fans!

I agree with this. I think that any sensible debate should be encouraged, particularly with sensible posters from other clubs. WUMs should be restricted though.

Whatever happened to Linvoys Afro?

I saw him in Varsity on London Road on Saturday for the first time in ages, the timing implied he'd been to the match. I think we might have turned him by allowing him to play in goal for the Saints IFC team for the best part of 2008/9. Or more likely he was just sodding about in town at 8pm on a Saturday having forgotten we'd played.

Or maybe he's just fed up of me posting THIS every time he pitched up on the Forum. About 12 seconds in, specifically. I'm the one with the ball, he's the one in the light blue shirt lying on his face in the 6 yard box 2 seconds later...

:D

Either way, stevegrant will know.

Oh yeah, and FOR letting rival fans on the main "bored", at least until the end of the season assuming we go up and the Skates all rush back. Now there's a subscription involved you tend not to get the nobbers anyway though.

Edited by The9

Reading other L1 forums there's a lot of Saints mongs, so it's only fair we balance it out slightly by letting some WUMs from other teams post on here.

It's good to get the perspective of fans of other teams in your division, especially good to hear if we thrash them! ;)

Absolutely let them on. If they start being dicks, block them, easy. And while were at it, can this bloody swear filter be changed/done away with? Is it really needed, after all this is a football forum, and people who go to football hear lots of swearing.

Whatever happened to Linvoys Afro?

He got the chop

Absolutely let them on. If they start being dicks, block them, easy. And while were at it, can this bloody swear filter be changed/done away with? Is it really needed, after all this is a football forum, and people who go to football hear lots of swearing.

This!

Oh so I might be the 'decent' Bmth fan on here then....although Ossie did calm down after the home match LOL.

I will keep you up to date with the way our season falls to bits and the obvious missing of the play offs - Wiggins wants away now too - cosmic. Can any other club manage to get rid of all their best players in 9 months?

Answers on a post card...

Good example was "Latics Fan" who posted today about our new signing from Oldham.

His viewpoint was worth reading and pretty much all the subsequent Saints contributors thanked him for bothering. I don't think anyone was rude to him....but then again he contributed positively to the debate, so I would hope not either.

• 2 weeks later...