Swedish season kicks off...

..at least when they've brushed the last of the snow off the pitch(es).

New season start was at the weekend, and last years champs. ..Malmö carried on where they left off in October with a convincing 4-2 win away at Trelleborg. (something of a local derby, that one ).

As was the game for Anders Svensson's Elfsborg who won their opening game 2-1 against Häcken with a last minute winner. It's 10 years since he signed for Saints ..but now at 35.. he really has matured into a good captain for his side. With over 100 caps for Sweden, he is still an automatic choice for the national side and Elfsborg are being tipped (yet again) for the title which they've narrowly missed for the last 2 seasons.

The Stockholm derby AIK v. Djurgården was a colourful one (that was all the fireworks that were supposed to have been banned from the ground), but nearly 30K watched the game that thankfully ended 0-0 and saved the inevitable after match battle of the fans.

A good win for promoted Norrköping (returning to the top divison after a very long absence) and a satisfying draw for newcomers Syrianska (a club first formed only 20 years ago by refugee / immigrants from Syria and Lebanon) who finally made it to the top.

It's early days yet, but hopefully looking forward to some attractive football in the summer months when the pitches regain some of their quality.

(more updates ..as and when )

David Cross Stockholm Sweden

Edited by david in sweden

Skåne teams to dominate the top spots again ;)

indeed they will . Looks like the most entertaining games will be on the west coast this season ; Malmo, Halmstad and Helsingborg in particular (or the front side of Sweden - as the locals there like to joke. Stockholm they say ..is the ba*kside of Sweden ! )

The Gothenburg sides look very pale at present and top league football in Stockholm is restricted to only TWO clubs now.

..and to be perfectly honest its only ONE as AIK are based in the little land-locked council area of Solna. (which is a bit like Eastleigh is to So'ton.)

indeed they will . Looks like the most entertaining games will be on the west coast this season ; Malmo, Halmstad and Helsingborg in particular (or the front side of Sweden - as the locals there like to joke. Stockholm they say ..is the ba*kside of Sweden ! )

The Gothenburg sides look very pale at present and top league football in Stockholm is restricted to only TWO clubs now.

..and to be perfectly honest its only ONE as AIK are based in the little land-locked council area of Solna. (which is a bit like Eastleigh is to So'ton.)

I'm going to a few Helsingborg matces this season hopefully, was going to see Mjälby too as i live not far from the blekinge border, but think they are stuffed this season.

Red&White ... you can just turn up on the day and get tickets....some times they even want you to pay!

Don't forget Michael Svensson i doing the rounds as Halmstads coach now. His knees are happy that its as a non-playing role.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Killer was making trying for a playing comeback for Halmstad? Something about him getting onto the bench and being there if they need him. Heja Mikke!