Grauniad predicts relegation

TopGun

Fairly crap really. in the whole article before predicting we will be relegated it says

Southampton's off-field problems give cause for concern

And that apparently is it, the reason for our demise??

In reality, with the exception of keeping the bank happy I would say this season looks like being the quietest for off-field problems for several years.

Fairly crap really. in the whole article before predicting we will be relegated it says

And that apparently is it, the reason for our demise??

In reality, with the exception of keeping the bank happy I would say this season looks like being the quietest for off-field problems for several years.

100% disagree.

*We have a weak squad that will be cherry picked if any player shows form that a premiership club wants.

*We have no money to "buy ourselves out of trouble" in January.

*We have a chairman that divides the fanbase.

The signs are all pointing towards there being more off-field AND on-field problems than during the Branfoot era or the final days of Lowes last stint.

100% disagree.

*We have a weak squad that will be cherry picked if any player shows form that a premiership club wants.

The signs are all pointing towards there being more off-field AND on-field problems than during the Branfoot era or the final days of Lowes last stint.

Disagree with your expected depressive take on things.

Do we really have a weaker squad than last year or just one that has less big names?

You appear to assume we will be in trouble come January

The chairman may divide the fan base but 99% of those that do not LIKE lowe will still go and support the team. Its only obsessives like yourself who put their hatred of lowe ahead of the team.

Anyone would think that you really really want there to be off-field problems this coming season?

Do we really have a weaker squad than last year or just one that has less big names?

The chairman may divide the fan base but 99% of those that do not LIKE lowe will still go and support the team. Its only obsessives like yourself who put their hatred of lowe ahead of the team.

Anyone would think that you really really want there to be off-field problems this coming season?

100% Agree ;)

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/08/08/championship_preview_qprs_nouv.html

Now do we know something they don't know or do they know something we don't know?

I wonder how they came to decide on relegation? because on paper we don't have the worst team in the division, I guess it's because we only scraped survival on the last day with a arguably better team. :confused:

So in a 1000+ essay on the league we get what? 7 words! I know we not exactly big time any more (if we ever were) but the lack of media coverage on us is rediculous.

Agree. It seems no journalist has actually looked into our predicament at all. Our financial situation is no worse than half a dozen other clubs its just our board are doing something about it and being suprisingly honest.

On top of this we are actually been playing well in pre-season. No five goal losses etc like others in this league have suffered.

Dont get me wrong i'm not expecting miracles, but it is really starting to annoy me how poor the reporting of what's going on at our club is.

yes i completely agree. The writer of the Grauniad piece doesn't seem to know what he's talking about and has not done any serious research - very lazy journalism.

So in a 1000+ essay on the league we get what? 7 words! I know we not exactly big time any more (if we ever were) but the lack of media coverage on us is rediculous.

Agree. It seems no journalist has actually looked into our predicament at all. Our financial situation is no worse than half a dozen other clubs its just our board are doing something about it and being suprisingly honest.

On top of this we are actually been playing well in pre-season. No five goal losses etc like others in this league have suffered.

Dont get me wrong i'm not expecting miracles, but it is really starting to annoy me how poor the reporting of what's going on at our club is.

In truth, it's not just us - it's the Championship itself, and indeed any of the leagues below the Premiership. A thousand words may seem a lot, but think of just how many have already been blatted out in the Guardian alone about Prem teams - and all this more than a week before their season even starts.

All the average journo will do is look at the final tables of last season, then have a quick look at who's been signed by whom, maybe even see if anything else has happened at a given club. He'll then scratch his arse and produce his forecast to the season to come.

Once you've been outside the Prem for a few seasons, that's the level of attention you'll get - the only exception will be if something out of the ordinary happens, such as a takeover by somebody famous (see QPR).

100% disagree.

why don't you go support anothe club then?

we don't need your type of 'fan'.

100% disagree.

Colour Sargeant Bourne:"Mr Witt Sir....be quiet now will you, theres a good gentleman, youll upset the lads"

Zulu

Must be the easiest job in journalism to write these 'prediction' articles. No assessment of the team squads, just a look at where the clubs finished last year. And by the time the predictions are proven to be complete rubbish, 9 months has passed and no one cares at all. Total rubbish.

Who cares what that snot rag of a paper thinks anyway ? It pays Polly Toynbee, Zoe Williams and George Monbiot - its always full of drivel, most of it arrogant, self-aggrandising middle-class public school drivel. What does that paper know about football outside of the prawn sandwiches of the Premier League ?

Must be the easiest job in journalism to write these 'prediction' articles. No assessment of the team squads, just a look at where the clubs finished last year. And by the time the predictions are proven to be complete rubbish, 9 months has passed and no one cares at all. Total rubbish.

I would expect the journalist would factor in the weakness of our squad, the past record of our management team, the likelihood of fan unrest because of Lowe, and the real possibility of a points deductions for going into administration.

Judging us on these issues does suggest relegation.

What off field problems exactly?

We're poor, so are many other clubs.

It's not even about being poor, sports writers only know "names", only "names" have any value, if they don't know,party or go to "events" with your players they are forcedly rubbish, just like Hull,Stoke and Bristol City last season.

why don't you go support anothe club then?

we don't need your type of 'fan'.

Why ???? ( should he NOT support Saints ???

He is expressing his opinion

Just because his opinion does not say that Saints are the best Team in the world, does NOT mean he is any less a Fan

Perhaps it is people like yourself that should ( just for once) take off your Rose coloured glasses, and SEE things for what they ARE, and not what you would like them to be

A) It will be proved FACT, that come ANY transfer window, ANY Saints player showing any ability WILL be sold off

If you do NOT believe that, then wait until the next "window" .... THEN come back at me

B) We DO NOT have any money, nor will there be any coming in under the present Master

C) Lowe DOES, and has ALWAYS, divided the Fan base. For a start YOU and I, as FANS, are simply classed as "CUSTOMERS " by Lord Lowe .... Happy about that ???

C) Lowe DOES, and has ALWAYS, divided the Fan base. For a start YOU and I, as FANS, are simply classed as "CUSTOMERS " by Lord Lowe .... Happy about that ???

Well, he is far more of a gentleman than me then, ....... as I would refer to you as something ...... a little stronger.

Well, he is far more of a gentleman than me then, ....... as I would refer to you as something ...... a little stronger.

I wonder what that might be then

As you obviously suffer from Blind Faith, I'll await your comments after the next transfer window

You sound as if you did not know that Lowe referred to all that enter St Mary's as "customers"

You have every right to not agree with what I, or others say .... but to reduce it to a level of hidden personnal abuse simply detracts from your points of view somewhat

For example ... do you think he will or won't sell come the next "window"

For example ... do you think he will or won't attract meaningfull Investment

Or is all you can do is hint at what you would describe me ???

You sound as if you did not know that Lowe referred to all that enter St Mary's as "customers"

I never knew customers was a swear word. Better get it added to the swear filter I guess??

I mean lighten up! Football is a business, businesses have customers. So from the perspective of the head of the company refering to all those that pay to enter SMS as customers is both logical and 100% correct.

Edited by pedg

For example ... do you think he will or won't sell come the next "window"

For example ... do you think he will or won't attract meaningfull Investment

Well you appear to be hoisting you own petard there as the obvious correct answer is no one knows but that does not fit with your assertion that we will be selling k.sink come the 1st of jan.

Well you appear to be hoisting you own petard there as the obvious correct answer is no one knows but that does not fit with your assertion that we will be selling k.sink come the 1st of jan.

I agree no one knows, it is just MY opinion, as is yours

Regretably, that is the problem with Time, you have to wait for it to pass

It is my OPINION, that come January, Lowe will sell those that command a transfer fee.

If I am wrong, then I am wrong. NOBODY will know one way or the other until the time comes

It will not be until then that it will be seen whether my petard has been hoisted or otherwise

I agree no one knows, it is just MY opinion, as is yours

Regretably, that is the problem with Time, you have to wait for it to pass

It is my OPINION, that come January, Lowe will sell those that command a transfer fee.

If I am wrong, then I am wrong. NOBODY will know one way or the other until the time comes

It will not be until then that it will be seen whether my petard has been hoisted or otherwise

You're not wrong.

Edited by alpine_saint

I was referring to the fact that 99% of the time you leave out the opinion bit and state it as absolute fact and then moan at Lowe for doing so. It may be that come the transfer window k.sink and all will be sold but until that actually happens maybe you could refrain from moaning about it?

I was referring to the fact that 99% of the time you leave out the opinion bit and state it as absolute fact and then moan at Lowe for doing so. It may be that come the transfer window k.sink and all will be sold but until that actually happens maybe you could refrain from moaning about it?

Why should he ? Lowe has a proven track record.

Journalists dont give a stuff about any league that is not The Premiership so their opinion is, as someone said, based on league positions last year and wether any signings of note have been made during the summer.

As we score badly on both counts its easy to see why we are tipped for the drop.

I bet none of these "experts" were within a 50 mile radius of St Marys to witness the West Ham or Stoke games which lets face it have given a lot of us cause for optimism.

Why should he ? Lowe has a proven track record.

I fully expect that come january we may have to sell one or two players to survive. I assume you would prefer that we sold no one and went into administration?

Not to mention moaning about things that have not happened yet makes you look stupid.

I fully expect that come january we may have to sell one or two players to survive. I assume you would prefer that we sold no one and went into administration?

Not to mention moaning about things that have not happened yet makes you look stupid.

Personally, I reckon people being in denial look more stupid, but let's not descend into insults, eh ?

OK, in future, I will endeavour to put the words " It is my OPINION" into every post.

I did however think that the inteligent ones on here REALISED that everybody posts their OPINIONS

It is ironic that most Lowe Luvvies will come back and denounce the person that Posts any thing "anti Lowe", but never actually counter whatever has been said about him with any relevany info.ie, lack of His previous tenure, Ten or so Managers, Lack of Business sense in the Relegation season, Lack of attracting Investment, Player Cull, to mention but a few things

(That should start the ball rolling ........ )

Personally, I reckon people being in denial look more stupid, but let's not descend into insults, eh ?

Denial of what? I suggest you look at the poll about where people think we will finish and then come back and tell me who is denial. Or is it that everyone else is being mislead but you, having not seen any of the games, know the real way things will happen?

OK, in future, I will endeavour to put the words " It is my OPINION" into every post.

I did however think that the inteligent ones on here REALISED that everybody posts their OPINIONS

It is ironic that most Lowe Luvvies will come back and denounce the person that Posts any thing "anti Lowe", but never actually counter whatever has been said about him with any relevany info.ie, lack of His previous tenure, Ten or so Managers, Lack of Business sense in the Relegation season, Lack of attracting Investment, Player Cull, to mention but a few things

(That should start the ball rolling ........ )

Given your history of stating future events in an absolute tone it is obviously imperative that everyone take other peoples posts as being their opinion, otherwise we would have to assume you were psychic give you absolute statements on future events.

Why do I have to come back and say something positive about Lowe to argue the toss with you about some excessive exaggeration you have posted about the current situation? I am not a lowe luvvie (is that term still incurring infraction points by the way?) I am pro common sense and realism, something that appears to be lacking in certain elements here.

(oh and its spelt intelligent by the way! ;))

And to cover your points.

1) What on earth does 'lack of His previous tenure' mean?

2) People who don't like lowe always quote the figure about the number of managers but never go into details. Why because they would have to admit that at significant portion of them were unavoidable. If there is any thing you should accuse Lowe of it is bad luck as how many other chairman have had to lose a manager to false claims of child abuse, returning to their spiritual home and being true to the word and taking a break at the end of their contract?

3) What were the bad business decisions? There were some bad managerial decisions by THE BOARD but you will have to point out the bad business decisions made by Lowe?

4) When we were in the premiership I don't remember the great outcry for investment. Its only since relegation that ithas been needed and the various boards since he left has shown that its hard to impossible to get.

5) Player Cull. We needed one because otherwise we would have gone under. If anything I think you can accuse him of not culling players when we were in the prem as he let the managers accumulate a bloated squad.

Edited by pedg

I guess they'll have their big league preview in the paper tomorrow - it'll be interesting to see if it's the same as the blog.

Unbelieveable - not a single thing about the Championship in the Guardian today other than a short article about Birmingham City. Not even a proper fixture list - stuck at the back with all the other cr@p. Their obsession with the premiership is getting ridiculous.

NB their excuse will no doubt be that "The Season" free mag is out on Monda, but FFS, you'd think they'd at least acknowledge that something was going on today...

Unbelieveable - not a single thing about the Championship in the Guardian today other than a short article about Birmingham City. Not even a proper fixture list - stuck at the back with all the other cr@p. Their obsession with the premiership is getting ridiculous.

NB their excuse will no doubt be that "The Season" free mag is out on Monda, but FFS, you'd think they'd at least acknowledge that something was going on today...

Indeed. I grabbed the sport section straight away to see what was in there, and had to look through it several times to be certain I hadn't missed anything. Plenty about the Charity Shield, which means absolutely bugger all, though.

If it ain't Prem they ain't bothered...

• 9 years later...