Squad for Cardiff

Matthew Le God

24DD348E-B179-C48D-B59C6A3E3078C356.jpg

The 18 player squad has been announced on the OS for the game. No sign of Rasiak, Skacel, Euell as expected really.

Squad

Wright-Phillips

Thomas

Davis

Bialkowski

James

Surman

Perry

White

Lallana

Schneiderlin

Holmes

McGoldrick

Dyer

Wotton

Mills

Svensson

Thomson

Gillett

My expected line up

Davis

James    Perry    Svensson   Surman

Schneiderlin  Gillett

Thomson      Lallana         Holmes

McGoldrick

Subs; 
Bialkowski 
Wright-Phillips
Dyer
Thomas 
Wotton

Come on you Reds! :D

Everyone seems to suggest he should play right wing, or can play both, but Nathan Dyer is 10 times better on the left wing. He's just one of those players that loves to cut inside. He can run at people, but isn't an old fashioned get to the line and cross it kind of player anyway. I think he should be competing with Holmes. BWP looks likely on the right, as has Thomson. 4 good options IMO.

In the 4 friendlies I saw the front four all interchanged position throughout the game, swapping sides etc. Confusses the hell out of the opposition and is true total football ;)

Edited by Matthew Le God

I thought that as the team lined up against West Ham. Player for player we are quite a bit smaller than most teams in this league but by the same token we should be quicker and besides the players dont look afraid to put their foot in when required so we should be ok with the physicality of the general play if not the set pieces.

Just checked on the met office website, the rain is supposed to subside in the afternoon......I wonder what the likely hood of a game being cancelled in August is? ;)

Ah....it does indeed looks like the heavy rain will have passed Cardiff by 15:00. We should now win. You heard it here first:)

Define lightweight?

Have you seen any pre-season Alps??

We have more fight and grit in midfield than I have seen for five years.

Together with Thomas/Perry/Killer commanding from the back.

Hardly featherweights? Welter maybe.

So reckon you could floor Hatton??

Let's see how they respond to real competitive pressures before hanging out the bunting, yes ?

He hasn't got a clue what we are talking about with this team. It is light years better than anything we have put out in the last 3 years. Schneiderlin is easily the best passer of a ball I have seen in that time.

Dave Jones on the saints:

They're a big club who, I believe, should never have come out of the Premiership," he said. "They had a poor season last year and they'll be looking to forget that. They have some experienced players like Gregorz Rasiak and Stern John who are threats. I have some friends at the club but that will go out of the window come 3pm on Saturday because I need three points."

Schniederlin and Gillett in the middle wont be getting bossed around, they're both a whole lot stronger than say Safri and Euell from last season. With Perry and Svensson at the back we should be fine defensivley, even James looks like he can put himself about.

We do look a bit lightweight upfront though, will all change once John is available again though. I really like the amount of pace in our squad now, we sadly lacked it a lot last season.

A bit of water on the pitch will be perfect for our style as well, shouldn't be a problem as long as there isn't too much.

Dave Jones on the saints:

They're a big club who, I believe, should never have come out of the Premiership," he said. "They had a poor season last year and they'll be looking to forget that. They have some experienced players like Gregorz Rasiak and Stern John who are threats. I have some friends at the club but that will go out of the window come 3pm on Saturday because I need three points."

Good to see Jones has done his research on the game then as neither are in the squad. :)

I am now going to predict a 2-1 victory.

Its so great to have Alpine back. Every post i have read over the last couple of days seems to end up with a b1tch and a moan, all derived from his input, its so depressing. It's just typical he already has such an opinion on a team he hasnt even seen play.

Change the record mate!

Its so great to have Alpine back. Every post i have read over the last couple of days seems to end up with a b1tch and a moan, all derived from his input, its so depressing. It's just typical he already has such an opinion on a team he hasnt even seen play.

Change the record mate!

What opinion is that then ?

I havent abused anyone, and I have hardly criticised Wilde and Lowe. I have not criticised Portvillet at all. I have, however, cast grave reservations about this squad's ability to mount a successful (non-relegation) campaign.

Why has this caused such outrage ?

He didnt make the squad last year either.

Perhaps he's less of a drag on the wage bill when he's not playing (or scoring)

don't get any bonuses if you're not in the first team squad, don't get any

"goal scoring bonuses" if you don't score.Remember him pushing a on a hat-trick Bale aside a few years ago to score a penalty for no apparent reason?. I expect being in the stand will soon start to hit them about wallet high.May even take whatever moves are on offer,like Saga.

Edit, got that wrong, wasn't Bale it was Surman,who eventually took the penalty and got a hat-trick, Rasiak tried though.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I havent abused anyone, and I have hardly criticised Wilde and Lowe. I have not criticised Portvillet at all. I have, however, cast grave reservations about this squad's ability to mount a successful (non-relegation) campaign.

I have to agree with with that.

We will get bullied.

Probably because you're talking with absolutely zilch knowledge of how they've been performing pre-season.

24DD348E-B179-C48D-B59C6A3E3078C356.jpg

The 18 player squad has been announced on the OS for the game. No sign of Rasiak, Skacel, Euell as expected really.

Squad

Wright-Phillips

Thomas

Davis

Bialkowski

James

Surman

Perry

White

Lallana

Schneiderlin

Holmes

McGoldrick

Dyer

Wotton

Mills

Svensson

Thomson

Gillett

My expected line up

Davis

James    Perry    Svensson   Surman

Schneiderlin  Gillett

Thomson      Lallana         Holmes

McGoldrick

Subs; 
Bialkowski 
Wright-Phillips
Dyer
Thomas 
Wotton

Come on you Reds! :D

That starting 11 would get steamrollered by most teams in this league. I have to say I think our squad looks dreadful.

The OS spin is just plain shameful at times. DMG and England prospect? The same DMG that has scored 1 LC goal in 2 years of scattered appearances?