SNSUN

I was caught by a traffic light camera this morning, and although the light was green for five seconds after I'd gone through, it turns out they double up as speed cameras, a fact I was not aware of. Ergo I'm expecting 3 points and a fine in the post. :-( That'll be 6 for me in total...)

How many points do you have? (if at all...)

Used to have 6 on my licence but none now.

The other night though a friend of mine got caught on his motorbike doing 33mph in a 30 limit at 10.30pm he was given the choice of 3 points or attend a driver education course for a morning.The thing is he said the road was completely empty at the time no other traffic,it just seems stupid the resources that get wasted some time.

Used to have 6 on my licence but none now.

The other night though a friend of mine got caught on his motorbike doing 33mph in a 30 limit at 10.30pm he was given the choice of 3 points or attend a driver education course for a morning.The thing is he said the road was completely empty at the time no other traffic,it just seems stupid the resources that get wasted some time.

Yeah, I find the blanket coverage of the law to be, frankly, pathetic.

Take West Quay Road. There are times during the evening, when this dual carriageway could take isolated traffic at 40mph with ease, because of the traffic there, that is so sparse. But no, we have to crawl along at 30mph. Several years back, when I was newly back in town, after living in Kent, I pottered down this empty road at around 10pm, at [apparently] 36mph. I was caught by the speed camera, and had 3 points added. For the resources and time it consumed, someone could have looked at the context, intention, and realised there was very little in the way of law breaking during the incident.

I should have made the 3 points worthwhile, and wheelied up the road. ;)

It just seems that although we all complain if there is loads of traffic police around alot of them do use common sense instead of the rigid guide lines when a camera is set up for a set speed.

Many years ago when i had just passed my bike test i got stopped one evening by an unmarked car go over Millbrook flyovers at around 70mph,now when i realised it was a copper i did the usual of slowing right down and riding sensibly.When he pulled me over he took into acount the amount of traffic which was zero gave me a lecture and told me to **** of out of his area if a wanted to ride like a tit.Nowdays i probably would of been straight to court and banned.

Still none after holding my full licence for over 15 years.

I've never heard of speed cameras incorporated into those covering traffic lights. I'm sure you'll be fine. ("fine" as in "ok" as opposed to "penalty charge")

Don't get over confident Al. I thought I was untouchable. I had a clean licence for 18 years despite driving over half a million miles with frequent disregard for speed limits. Then, bang, I got caught twice in 3 weeks and now have 6 points! Ironically my driving has really slowed down in the last 2 years as well due to the responsibilities of parenthood.

Got caught for the first time in 20 years driving, 39 in a 30. Have received the fine notice £60 + 3 points or £74 and a 3 hour driver awareness course but no points. As I drive nearly 40,000 miles a year, the second option suits me!

Time to buy a scanner for mobile speed traps rather than just relying on my tomtom!