Fifa 12

St Marco

• 1 month later...

To be fair Fifa is just the name they have little to do with the actual game. Maybe MLG can explain better but basically Ea buy the fifa pro license which means they can use all the official names and teams. The same licence which football manager uses.

So really while it is called Fifa it really is just EA football. The money made from it goes to EA.

So you can't link the two really.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Quick question about Online play.

When playing online on a standard 1-1 game are all teams equal i.e if I play as southampton and my oponent is Barcelona are all our players equal so it's fair or am I better off playing as a bigger team against these people?

I could be wrong but it is all down to the stats of the players. So technically because Barca have better players their overall rating would be higher then Saints which would make a difference.

In years before when playing online most people would play the top teams. Because if you played as Barca and played against say Luton you would have a huge advantage. This year EA are doing something different where if you play as your fav club you earn your club points which go into a promotion/relegation style league format. In theory this will make people want to play as their fav team as it helps them out.

Also the demo will be out a week today.

Barca would be 100 times better.

I hate online play because 99% of people are Barca or Real. It's dull. I always go for the worst team possible...or Saints, when they do that and try to get a 0-0! I've actually won a surprising number of games like that, or narrow defeats and the points reflect the quality of your team choice.

Although most people just turn off the playstation when I'm winning. Still annoyed some nobber turned off when I scored a Sneider 45 yard free kick in the second minute before I could see the replay.

See this is my issue I think they should make all teams equal on line so you it then comes down to skill and not the team choice

This year EA are doing something different where if you play as your fav club you earn your club points which go into a promotion/relegation style league format. In theory this will make people want to play as their fav team as it helps them out.

Wont work...people just want to win games so will still stay as superteam slags.

This is a full match from the demo that will be released tomorrow

Other then the fact the people playing it suck i think it looks pretty good. The whole thing seems a lot more fluid. Annoying cut scenes seem to have been toned down too. The new dribble/physics system looks a lot better. Can see how feints and changing direction quickly will make it more realistic. The new engine (impact engine) looks cool.

Also the first review came out from Games Master who gave it a 94% score

Played the demo on expert, Good difficulty (got dumped 4-0 by Milan in my first game but glad they were all outside the box stunner's not soft crap ones). The Tackling engine is great but i'm going to have to get used to this. Shooting is a little better and seems to be tweaked but still not totally under the players control. (As in a small delay).

My biggest bug bear though is still the fact my players don't make intelligent runs or try and create space for themselves. However the opposing team does. Very annoying. Apparently PES this year have spent allot of time trying to get this right so I think i'll play the demo of this and see which one I feel is more Football than the other.

For some reason Fifa feels very arcady this year.

Played the demo on expert, Good difficulty (got dumped 4-0 by Milan in my first game but glad they were all outside the box stunner's not soft crap ones). The Tackling engine is great but i'm going to have to get used to this. Shooting is a little better and seems to be tweaked but still not totally under the players control. (As in a small delay).

My biggest bug bear though is still the fact my players don't make intelligent runs or try and create space for themselves. However the opposing team does. Very annoying. Apparently PES this year have spent allot of time trying to get this right so I think i'll play the demo of this and see which one I feel is more Football than the other.

For some reason Fifa feels very arcady this year.

I know what you mean. It is very fluid. FIFA 10 and FIFA 11 were clunky but in a good way. FIFA 12 is very smooth and the gameplay is much more fluid.

100% agree about the being more fluid thing. But for some reason i think i actually prefer it. The whole clunky thing was at times annoying. Was very robot like at times.

The game used to be a start stop kind of game. Filled with mini cut scenes i.e when ball goes out for a throw. Those animations made the game take a lot longer then it should. Making them a lot quicker means you spend more time actually playing. With things like quick throws now it also gives you more choice. Before you wait for the cut scene and then it loads up with you with the ball and all the players magically going into their positions. Like say you were attacking and it was you and a team mate up against 3 defenders. The ball goes out for a throw to you. Before it would cut and all their players would be behind the ball. Now it is fluid meaning a guy can grab the ball and quick throw it while players are still coming back into position. It is the same with corners and free kicks. You have the option to do it fast. Or if there are no good options wait until everyone gets into position. I think that is a lot more realistic then previous footie games.

There are a lot of things i don't like with the game but i know the more i play it the things will grow on me. It is the same with a few previous fifa's. At first you don't like it then it becomes good and you can't go back to the previous years game! The difficulty (on experienced settings) is once again very difficult. Defending has totally changed. Each player seems to have more of a brain then in games gone by. The tactical defending thing is pretty interesting. Eventually when i get used to it i know it will be good. There are a lot of little touches put in the game that make it more realistic but at the same time make it more difficult. Like the jostling and ability to now grab players with the B button. The new physics engine has also made it so you have loads of different ways to foul people. The standing tackle has basically gone, it is now more of a "put a foot in" tackle which means you can clip a player if you do it from a bad angle.

All in all thus far i like it. I like the way the game looks and plays in regards to football. However i think it is time EA started work on the graphics in terms of the players and stadiums. It could be so much better. Especially the crowds. I don't think they have changed that for years and it shows. It isn't bad but they should look at the NBA 2k games to see how you can do a stadium/crowds. If they could get it like that then it would just be amazing.

Also glad they changed the shooting system. In the last couple of versions it has been way too baloony. Has a lot more weight to it now.

Edited by St Marco

So just finished playing both FIFA and PES demo's. Now I love the tackling system in FIFA really brings something new but the player AI in PES is just far superior. The game play flows your players actively look for space when your attacking and they try and get back to mark when your defending. I created a really smooth counter attacking move and within 3 passes I had floated about the pitch and got a great cross in (didn't score but came close) and it just felt like playing football. (Again this was on the highest difficulty as well). The fact that the players actively looked for space to make a pass or scoring opportunity really made it something of a joy to play.

Ok the cut scenes are rather annoying and as I said the tackling is not the best but the overall feel of game play this year far out ways the small niggles I have with it. So I think this year it may be PES's turn to go back to the top of Football Games.

Anyone else played both what's your views.

I played both. There is actually a new demo for PES 2012 just released as the first one was bug city.

Personally i prefered Fifa to PES again this year. I actually thought the opposite about the AI in PES. I felt it was pretty bad in places. Especially the keepers (which will be fixed they say on Pes gaming).

For me PES looks far better then Fifa. The players look more realistic. The pitches look better, the crowd look better. Presentation is better. Sounds are slightly better etc

But in terms of football it is 2nd best again. The thing that bugs me the most is the scripted things (on rails). Because of this you know what will happen. The ball doesn't feel like a seperate entity, it sticks to the player. The animations are still robot like and looks like they are skating.

PES 12 is miles better then last years there is no doubt about that. But Fifa is still ahead of it. But not by much. The gap has deffinatly closed.

I think both games this year are worthy of buying. Competition is good for us as means we get better games.

After what 4 years we can now finally bring back the PES v FIFA debate. Going on initial game play PES just feels more natural for me so I'm going PES. Nothing against FIFA but I just feel this year PES has finally brought itself back into contention and I really have enjoyed playing the buggy PES demo over the clean FIFA demo.

It's great to have a debate.

I was a big PES fan but PES06 killed that for me. Got back into Fifa 09 and haven't looked back. Every now and then I have a 'dabble' with PES but just can't get on with it.

Downloaded both Demos on the 360 yesterday but only had a little play so unfair to fully judge yet, but felt at times with PES that passing it around was almost like playing 'sensible soccer'. Didn't have the feel for it.

As for FIFA - noticed that GK still can't throw a ball out properly !

Now having played it again last night every time I passed the ball all I could hear was the sound of a sensible soccer pass. It doesn't play like it but now you mentioned it it did remind me of the game. Tonight I hope to give FIFA a bit more of a bashing as I have played PES for over an hour now.

Nice to see whoever our researcher is, is getting the numbers about right. Unlike last year where Pullis was one of the highest rated in the squad! Thinking about it it might have been Pullis who was the researcher!

Reviews starting to come out now

Eurogamer http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-25-fifa-12-review 9/10

IGN http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1195975p1.html 9.5/10

All pretty good then.

Just to let you know if you want to download last season's chants from Rapidshare to use in FIFA, I have about 5 days left before the files are deleted (and the originals re currently trapped on my exploded laptop so I won't be re-uploading).

Download link is here : http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?24213-Fifa-11&p=868604#post868604

And the rest of the FIFA 11 thread, which contained all of the documentation of which chants are on, etc, is here

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?24213-Fifa-11/page6

By my reckoning it'll be there until Sunday 2nd October.

I guess they don't go into the minutiae of every league and have blanket rules for this sort of thing. 'Shame' though, I agree. Noticed when playing Career as Saints in FIFA 11 that the Johnstone's Paint Trophy isn't divided into north and south either.

So anyone got any interesting videos from the demo/game yet when they been playing?

Was playing as Arsenal and thought it couldn't get any worse for them....until this happened to the keeper...if that happened in real life Wenger would top himself probably! (was some amazing skill/feints there though by the OM guy)

http://www.ea.com/uk/football/videos/ugc/95031496

Also just noticed Saints are currently 4th in the pl in the support your club thing! That means some of you cheeky buggers must of got it early ;)

saintsj.jpg

Pompey sit 23rd in the championship. Best fans in the world! Guess pirated copies don't work online? ;)

Edited by St Marco

Got my copy today. Awesome game, deserves the review scores it has got.

The thing i am liking the most so far is "Ultimate team". Never tried it before as thought you had to pay for it in the old games. It is free this time around. Is really addictive and you get two free packs to start off with. So make sure you get them as i think it is time restrictive i.e will be gone soon. In my 2nd pack i got Chaplow!

Word of advice though with your first game don't go into the ultimate trophy tournament thing.....went in there with my team of players around 65 overall and had to play Barca on World Class in the first round in for 6 minutes.....it took the word "raped" to a whole new level (lost 0-8 had 1 shot on goal, think the keeper could of gone home).

The good thing is the more you play the more coins you get which you use to buy new packs of players. If you don't want players you can trade/sell them to other players in the auction house thingy. In my 2 packs i got Yaya Toure so was quite chuffed as he is pretty good. You can also get stadiums/managers and stuff like that.

So far so good have to say. If you not tried Ultimate Team before give it ago. I can imagine the Footie manager fans could get addicted to it badly!

Got my copy today. Awesome game, deserves the review scores it has got.

The thing i am liking the most so far is "Ultimate team". Never tried it before as thought you had to pay for it in the old games. It is free this time around. Is really addictive and you get two free packs to start off with. So make sure you get them as i think it is time restrictive i.e will be gone soon. In my 2nd pack i got Chaplow!

Word of advice though with your first game don't go into the ultimate trophy tournament thing.....went in there with my team of players around 65 overall and had to play Barca on World Class in the first round in for 6 minutes.....it took the word "raped" to a whole new level (lost 0-8 had 1 shot on goal, think the keeper could of gone home).

The good thing is the more you play the more coins you get which you use to buy new packs of players. If you don't want players you can trade/sell them to other players in the auction house thingy. In my 2 packs i got Yaya Toure so was quite chuffed as he is pretty good. You can also get stadiums/managers and stuff like that.

So far so good have to say. If you not tried Ultimate Team before give it ago. I can imagine the Footie manager fans could get addicted to it badly!

How d'ya get it already?

Anywhere selling it cheap tomorrow?

If not, I'm up and about early so might pop in to Asda in the morning.

Asda show on comparison sites as 34 quid but when you go to asda site it's actually 39 quid.

I have pre ordered mine through asda and despite the game being in the stores tomorrow my receipt says estimated collection date 3rd oct!!! Luckily I'm away all weekend so couldnt play it before then anyway...