Network through Power Socket

Baj

I sold a POE 24 Port Switch the other day to a security company with their own IT support department. Netgear one. Seemed quite smart.

I suspect he was talking about using plugs on your home ring main to carry a network signal not power over ethernet but I could be mistaken...

Assuming the former then I have a wireless extender that uses the main to and it appears to work fine. It works like ADSL in that the network signal is put through the main on top of the AC and at a frequency that does not appear to cause any interference.

I suspect he was talking about using plugs on your home ring main to carry a network signal not power over ethernet but I could be mistaken...

Assuming the former then I have a wireless extender that uses the main to and it appears to work fine. It works like ADSL in that the network signal is put through the main on top of the AC and at a frequency that does not appear to cause any interference.

What sorta speeds are you getting, cos ill want to stream video over it too

What sorta speeds are you getting, cos ill want to stream video over it too

I was on the development team for netgears EOP kit.

Started off at 60mb but these ones go up to 200mb

http://www.trustedreviews.com/networking/review/2007/01/25/Netgear-HDXB101-Powerline-HD-Ethernet-Adapters/p1

Netgear HDXB101 Powerline HD Ethernet Adapters are in my opinon the best around

use them at work and they are fine

Baj, I've got a pair you can have cheap. You're welcome to try them out first if you want to trial them. They're not boxed but they've barely been used. We sent them out to a client but they never arrived (bless the PO!) and eventually ended up back with me so they're surplus to requirements! I'll have to see what speed they'll support (I think it's 100 mbs). We've used them for ages as one of our clients is a porta-cabin supplier and all their buildings are either cabins or modular buildings. As long as you don't have flaky electrics they are bloody brilliant to be honest. An absolute life-saver in my line of business!!

They work weel Baj as long as the sockets your using are on the same ring main. Think you can get 56 mbs and 112mbs, if Miks got a cheap pair of the faster ones then I would definatley have them if I was you as there not the cheapest!