Sonic Generations

Colinjb

Just downloaded the demo. For anyone who is unfamiliar with the idea, the story of the game is a clumsy mixture of the 'new' 3D sonic games and the older 2D style gameplay. But hey, Sonic is 20 years old and they need to make some money.

First impressions are good. The gameplay in the demo is an older '2D' section. The graphics hark back to old Sonic while being suitably 3D and up to date. The physics of it feel a lot better then Sonic 4 (Which I just couldn't like, Sonic had no momentum.) Sonic really does feel quick and it feels rather 'tight.' It can be a little hit or miss using an analogue stick but you can use the D-pad.... but on an XBox 360 controller it is in the wrong place.

There are a few odd movements in the demo, after all the game is incomplete. Some ledges are a bit 'sticky' and some random invisible forces can throw you off in mid air but it's not enough to detract from the first impressions of the thing.

The demo only has 14 days of play left on it. (It's time locked) but I am looking forward to the full game in November. The demo has certainly whetted my appetite.

• 3 months later...