why this place is dying

patred44

I see the whining minority have got there own way again on here, and had this lighthearted thread moved.

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?30979-nice-signing

I despair of some on here.

Only last week I renewed my membership on here, had this happened before that I definately wouldn't have wanted to

To the administrators on here, get a life and stop cow tailing to few who have no sense of humour.. The last few weeks there has been less and less threads on here, maybe you should start to ask those whiners to start a few instead of whinging and whining about others that are encouraging conversation.

I don't give a rat's ass if this leads to my being censored in any way, but if you do over this, I will know you want this place not to be for the ordinary joe, but for those who think they are above the usual banter and humour of a NORMAL fans forum..

I will be just another figure amongst all those who don't come on here anymore, because of the snooty attitude of few that are want-a-be censors on this forum.

I think the complaint was that it was not 'newsworthy'.

FFS at this part of the year if we censored or moved threads for that reason there would be very few threads on here.

I am fully expecting those anally retentive ones to object to this thread as well.

I think the complaint was that it was not 'newsworthy'.

FFS at this part of the year if we censored or moved threads for that reason there would be very few threads on here.

I am fully expecting those anally retentive ones to object to this thread as well.

thing is Pat the piece in question had already appeared in the rumours thread about an hour earlier, perhaps you didn't notice that eh, so it was just repetition.

The only real problem with this forum is that every thread is dominated by the same moronic posters - a post cap per thread would be good otherwise they tend to get hijacked by the MLG's and Hypo's of the world! I'm all for free speech but you can tell what they will say before they post and they create pointless point scoring threads.

The forum is generally pretty poor now anyway pat.

Disapointed that I have to agree. Its not just that its close season when there will be fewer topics but the abrasive, even antagonistic, attitudes that are bound to discourage debate. Sometimes I wonder if we are all supporting the same club.

No I didn't notice it amongst that lot..

The thing is though I started a thread that gave us an opportunity for a giggle, at a time where news is very slow.

It was pounced on by a tiny minority who have lost the ability to laugh at ourselves.

Over 60 years I have supported this club, and one of our endearing characteristics in those long years of ups and downs is the humour amongst all of our fans.

Some on here take themselves too seriously, and want to spoil the fun for all.

The only real problem with this forum is that every thread is dominated by the same moronic posters - a post cap per thread would be good otherwise they tend to get hijacked by the MLG's and Hypo's of the world! I'm all for free speech but you can tell what they will say before they post and they create pointless point scoring threads.

^^

This

The forum needs that kind of lighthearted threads. I come on here everyday, but loads of the threads just turn into squabbling !

Now this is exactly what needs to be stamped out. Generally, the same old posters argue the toss and berate each other again and again which gets in the way of reasoned debate and conversation. It is these posters that need to be banned if they continue their bickering as it is these posters that generally bring the tone and humour of the forum down.

Now this is exactly what needs to be stamped out. Generally, the same old posters argue the toss and berate each other again and again which gets in the way of reasoned debate and conversation. It is these posters that need to be banned if they continue their bickering as it is these posters that generally bring the tone and humour of the forum down.

No, no, no. We need to ban Deppo. There is no place on here for wit.

No, no, no. We need to ban Deppo. There is no place on here for wit.

Deppo was a master of "esprit"? Must have missed that then. I thought he was boringly stereotyped but as I never bothered to read his posts anyway I'd admit to the possibility of having missed some witty nugget or other at some time.

Shouldn't this thread be in the "Site Suggestions" area?

I wouldn't bother. I made a suggestion back in April and other than Steve saying "It will shortly be under discussion" there's never been any follow up.

In my opinion, I don't think the people that run the forum are really that bothered any more, which is why they don't need to worry about listening to the masses. If we don't like it, we can go elsewhere.

I think the whole £5 membership fee has actually been the downfall of this forum. Once people start paying for something they 'expect' a service. When they don't get what they want they complain, when they complain the people doing the work to keep the forum running get fed up, etc, etc.

I see the whining minority have got there own way again on here, and had this lighthearted thread moved.

Only last week I renewed my membership on here, had this happened before that I definately wouldn't have wanted to

To the administrators on here, get a life and stop cow tailing to few who have no sense of humour.. The last few weeks there has been less and less threads on here, maybe you should start to ask those whiners to start a few instead of whinging and whining about others that are encouraging conversation.

I don't give a rat's ass if this leads to my being censored in any way, but if you do over this, I will know you want this place not to be for the ordinary joe, but for those who think they are above the usual banter and humour of a NORMAL fans forum..

I will be just another figure amongst all those who don't come on here anymore, because of the snooty attitude of few that are want-a-be censors on this forum.

The main criticism I have is that too few people on here keep to topic and reply to the first posting. As a result almost all topics descend into the usual circular arguments and eventually a slanging match between people who obviously know each other beyond this forum.

The moderators do have a responsibility to make sure this does not happen and have to a certain extent failed in their duties.

Otherwise, this is a football web site not Mensa so you get the level of debate you should expect from a bunch of looney-tunes thicko football fans, if you expectlphilosophical and literary masterpieces go elsewhere

SUrely the reason this pace is "dying" is because there is simply no football? As such, there is little to talk about - transfer dealings are shrouded in secrecy, and as such on both counts frustration mounts - hence the slanging matches that even a lurker like me can't seem to escape from. When we can go back to having an opinion on whether "he should have scored that one on one", or "should Nige play a 442/433", I think it'll be revitalised. Shutting up now.

80% of people are complete and utter fukkcing morons.

And in the UK 50% of those have at least a University First Degree for which they indebted themselves to the tune of 50 or 60K £.

Please keep statistics and fractions off of the forum, this is no place for forced mathematics. Thanks.

SUrely the reason this pace is "dying" is because there is simply no football? As such, there is little to talk about - transfer dealings are shrouded in secrecy, and as such on both counts frustration mounts - hence the slanging matches that even a lurker like me can't seem to escape from. When we can go back to having an opinion on whether "he should have scored that one on one", or "should Nige play a 442/433", I think it'll be revitalised. Shutting up now.

I hadn't even noticed that the place is dying actually, then again as I've another month in the back of beyond I guess I miss a lot of the slow forum death process because I just can't get Satellite Access all the time.

What is a humorous thread in your eyes is a load of boring old cr@p to others. I'd much rather this site was "dying" and had much less posted on it, on the basis that it got rid of a lot of the pointless rubbish and kept to interesting/informative stuff that was actually worth looking at and reading properly. There are a million and one other places you can go on the net if you want banter, or to post "amusing" rubbish.

About 85% of those who don't have a degree in Media Studies.........by the by what is Media Studies exactly, is it reading the papers and watching TV?

haha good point. Im sure there are plenty of "Degree's" that I would struggle to see the point of or understand why it would be worth spending 4 years or so working on them. The whole degree system IMO needs to be sorted as having a degree should mean allot more than it does to me.

Seen this before. My other luv is Italian cars, especially Alfa and Maserati. I had several of each marque and used to subscribe to a Maserati forum which was fine till its went all business like, pandering to the sponsors and not its members. Anyway, the upshot of it was, the core members broke away and started http://www.sportsmaserati.com and in only just over a year, its now the biggest Maserati forum in the UK and soon to be on the largest on the planet by Xmas if the posting rate keeps up.

So to my point, the admin job is a hard one to get right, but get it wrong, think your too big, and you are setting yourself up for a fall.

This will probably get removed by admin, but its a valid point, so should consider its advice.

Very true, it happens on here every summer.

Perhaps a signing or two might lighten the mood.

What is a humorous thread in your eyes is a load of boring old cr@p to others. I'd much rather this site was "dying" and had much less posted on it, on the basis that it got rid of a lot of the pointless rubbish and kept to interesting/informative stuff that was actually worth looking at and reading properly. There are a million and one other places you can go on the net if you want banter, or to post "amusing" rubbish.

If you want "interesting/informative stuff" just look/use the official Saints site for updates - why use a forum?

Definitely needs more humour. I say more sarcastic posts. There's plenty of space for serious topics and all the depressed vitriol over how often the team you've chosen to follow will kick a ball into a goal in August.

Perhaps making the ignore button work would stop people complaining? It's pointless when certain posters who make the same tired moans every 5 seconds and want to be some kind of 'forum celeb' just get quoted endlessly. On facebook if you block someone everything they do is gone. Could that be done on here? No quotes, no comments, threads they start don't appear, just all gone?

who would you ignore?

Well said. The lack of sense of humour on this forum is shocking! It seems to me that there's a real clique on here. If you're not part of it then you get slated for everything that you post. I despise the way certain members think they know more than you and suggest that you're always wrong or simply an idiot if you post something that they disagree with.

I could list several examples of things that I've posted on this forum but I simply can't be bothered as it'll only open up a can of worms and lead to more abuse from certain members. They're probably already busy writing their response to this very post.

This forum is not dying! You only have to visit any of the other Saints forums to witness much worse than this.

The only problem is there is no news.......nothing....for weeks.......... its unsurprising there are so few threads and those that are started may be somewhat "questionable"! I've been so bored I even managed to get all the way through one of David in Swedens threads and actually quite enjoyed it!

I also don't think there is too much issue with the mods, or get why the big deal the thread was moved to the muppet show. You can still comment and read it.

I miss Deppo a bit, but bizarrely I do miss Alps even more (though Dalek currently seems to have taken over his forum job role at the moment)

I haven't done media studies and I'm sure there are some rubbish courses out there, but it doens't make them all pointless. With most degrees the amount you get out of it is largely dependent on what you get in. Particularly at Master's level or beyond, you have supervision but it's primarily down to you. You can be at a rubbish uni, on a poor course but if you put the effort in, you're still reading the same sources as an Oxford graduate for example.

I know a few who've done media studies and worked extremely hard at it because they knew that was the career for them. A few of them now work quite successfully in theatre, film production, radio, TV. Once you've worked hard at a course, it's difficult to criticise other courses too much because you start to realise just how much can go into them. Mine had such a ridiculously broad scope, yet outsiders all too often try to sum it up in a few words. Degrees aren't like that. If you've studied a course then fine, you're entitled to your opinions on that course at that uni because you know it. But writing off whole universities, whole subjects or the entire system based on your experience, or that of people you know is ridiculous.

I certainly agree the idea of university for all is the most ridiculous thing though. True, it should be accessible to all those intelligent enough and determined to get the grades, but if too many people have degrees, it becomes a necessity rather than an edge. I'd like to see more people go to uni because they really want to study a subject further, just want to learn more, as well as the degrees that do boost careers like medicine, sciences, economics, law, finance, and any subject you want to go on to teach/research.

I think my views on Degree's would insult the people who are actually doing one that is worth while or some of them that take a tremendous amount of work to get it but IMO more and more of them are becoming nothing more than an extra 4 or so years of not having to get a job.

They should be available to anyone that has the ability to take them on rather than can afford to take them on but they should open up doors to the more exclusive jobs. A degree in Law (no idea what degree is needed so speaking generally) for instance is huge and should provide a path to some serious jobs that warrent higher qualification. Someone who wants 4 years of partys and grants is not going to choose this path as it would be too much effort and 4 weeks would be a tough target to stay on board.

If someone wants a degree in fasion or Surfing then it should be earnt by way of actually having a job in that subject and not in a Uni. Its like Apretaships have been replaced by course studies and Uni degree's where too many take advantage of not having to get jobs.

I know quite a few people that got degree's in various subjects and blatently admitted it was better than getting a job at the time. Once they got out in the real world they went on to do absolutly naff all to do with their degree. I actually know one guy the same age as me who went off to get a degree in computer science where as I got a job in a computer shop fixing real computers. Years later we worked at a company doing the same job supporting a massive site. I had to teach him how to do the job that he got based on his degree. I got the job based on experience. I could do the job and he could not.

I think if more focus is put on what people need for various jobs then a better focus can be put on degree's that mean more to everyone. I know its a huge argument and sounds worse when generalised but so much value has been lost due to the direction higher education has gone, I think it needs a massive overhaul to get it back to where it should be.

This site is now really only for kids as you are not allowed to swear not allowed to talk about bewbs, When are we going to get a site that is FREE and not run by people who think that running an utter sh it site like this is somehow going to get them on the board of SFC, BRING BACK THE LEGG and S4E.

Damn you all!!! This place is dying as we are not laughing at Pat's lame jokes!!!!!!!! Let me tell you his trademark 'new saints signing' threads which turn out to be to do with either St Johnstone or Northampton Saints Rugby club are comedy gold and we are all the poorer for not being able to see that!!!!!