The BBC Team

St Landrew

The only caveat is that BBC coverage, pre ITV, was awful despite having no adverts. They'd often bump the race to BBC2 if other 'lesser' sports (snooker, golf and even darts) were on at the same time. I even remember them cutting away from a race to watch a couple of overs in the cricket one Sunday years back.

I'm sure that they'll cover more now but ITV actually provide an excellent service, with multiple opportunities to watch the race and/or highlights, plus a brilliant website which streams FP1 and FP2 on a Friday amongst other things.

It's really only James "I've convinced my wife to change her name to Lewis" Allen and the adverts that let ITV down.

Take note BBC.

What you say about the Beeb is true Ponty. And ITV did take F1 into a new zone. But the Beeb had a bit of a backward attitude in those far off days. They went through a period where they didn't cover motorsport that well. In the 60's they'ed had Scrambling [Motorcross] and Rallycross, but that had long gone. Their F1 coverage, with James Hunt and Murray Walker was a slow return to form, but they couldn't help thinking it was only a minority event, with snooker, horse racing and f**king show jumping somehow being more popular. I loved F1 when it first became seriously televised because it had real excitement and speed, and it looked good on the camera. Many years later, despite the BBC still considering F1 a minority sport, it was a real shock when ITV took over and the first adverts began. ITV always said we wouldn't miss a second of the action. A statement which always staggered me, because the only way you could get that situation was to stop the race and resume it on the viewers return.

If Auntie shows off F1 like they broadcast MotoGP, then I'll not be too disappointed. Good, informative, slightly biased coverage to the GB riders/drivers [why not, this is Britain after all..?], but giving time to all, and thankfully, the BBC have enough channels now to allow for coverage of any sport they choose to take on. And no more breaks for the 3.30pm at Chepstow..!

Apparently BBC coverage will be interactive. Hopefully we will get 'Lewis Cam' and just watch him for the whole race. :rolleyes:

Glad to see they've got Martin Brundle though, I've always thought he's a pretty good commentator, and his grid walks are the best bit of the ITV coverage (IMO). Mind you, he did look very out of place actually presenting the programme as well this morning.

I think we'll see something of a change in terms of expert commentator when Jonathan Legard does his first TV commentary. I've heard him on Radio 5, and he's pretty good IMO. Tbh, I don't share everyone's utter dislike of James Allen as a commentator, but then I don't share everyone's love of Murray Walker's delivery. Granted, F1 became a fraction as exciting the season JA took over from MW's high octane voice. But I used to get really annoyed as MW used to make error after error in his commentary. And it was always James Hunt and later, Martin Brundle who would have to correct him. Hunt used to do it bluntly, and Brundle used to do it subtley, as I remember. But JA was never going to be liked after the institution of Murray retired.

What I'd really like to see is a little humour injected into F1. I find it so stiff compared to MotoGP, that I'd even let Charlie Cox have a go. Not that he would IMO, as he loves to commentate on bikes, despite being an ex-car racing driver. But then even Murray Walker preferred bike commentaries, and he went to F1 because of the dosh, so what do I know..?