Come on you red and white machine....

lordswoodsaints

i for one am looking forward to the new season.

this is the first time i have been looking forward to a season for a few years.

i just hope that win,lose or draw i see some good entertaining football from a young and hungry bunch of talented players.

bring it on

coyr.

Totally agree,when you look back to the fasical F.A cup game on tv against Bristol Rovers last season you can only look forward to a Southampton side actually playing good football for a change.

Hooray, three positive posts in a row, the team gives us hope after the dross of the last three years. I really don't care about the results, of course I want to win, but for me I want to see good football.

It's good to be able to focus on the football. even if there may well be defeat ahead it's easier to accept if you feel the team is giving its all and also if you see that progress is being made.

No matter what the results are I think the team and management need full support throughout the season - it could be a long slog! (there again a winning start could give the confidence to put us up with the shakers)

After what we saw against West Ham I can't wait to see what we can do against Cardiff and the rest in the Championship, and I haven't really got a clue which way it'll go!

What I do know is we'll go out to play real football, and that's what I remember Saints standing for in the Lawrie Mac and Chris Nicholl era's.

As Lordswood said "Bring it on!"

COYR!

I've been looking forward to this game for what feels like a life time. All the idiots on Sky who say it feels like the season's just ended clearly haven't endured the same pain-staking dull summer with no football to discuss, think about or most importantly watch!

This season is such an unknown quantity. I think that is what also makes it such an exciting prospect. No one on this forum could give a prediction as to where we'll finish and have enough bottle to back it with a wager with any confidence. But that's completely understandable.

From a personal point of view I'm looking forward to tomorrow, more so than anything else just to be able to see with my own eyes this new brand of football that we have adopted. Win, lose or draw, although I'm desperately hoping its the former, the result is not that key, but the performance, crucial!

So I think I'll turn up tomorrow at a drenched Ninian Park not knowing what to expect. The only thing I can hope for is that the team can produce a performance there or thereabouts to that of the West Ham game and to see if we are capable of competing against a typically Championship side at a difficult ground to get a result at.

All in all I am just rabbling on and on because I can't put into words how excited I am right now. Good luck to everyone going across the bridge tomorrow and remember your waterproofs.

There's not a lot else to say apart from COYFR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have much more faith in this team of young hopefuls they want to win and will try for 90 mins. Compare that to last seasons team , many of whom just could not care less. Apart from John I will be glad to be rid of them all . Rasiak, Skatchel in particular have never performed to their potential, just money grabbing shisters.

Have much more faith in this team of young hopefuls they want to win and will try for 90 mins. Compare that to last seasons team , many of whom just could not care less. Apart from John I will be glad to be rid of them all . Rasiak, Skatchel in particular have never performed to their potential, just money grabbing shisters.

I deplore these constant attempts to rewrite history. These players are fine when they are here, but as soon as they might be going, they all of a sudden turn into crap. If they did not reach their full potential, then there might well be other factors that determined that which were not their fault. It could for example be down to Burley's constant tinkering, or playing Scacel out of position. When Rasiak had a settled run, he was capable of 20 goals a season, but then Burley dropped him for some reason. Presumably if he had played to his potential, you would expect 30 goals a season.

I deplore these constant attempts to rewrite history. These players are fine when they are here, but as soon as they might be going, they all of a sudden turn into crap. If they did not reach their full potential, then there might well be other factors that determined that which were not their fault. It could for example be down to Burley's constant tinkering, or playing Scacel out of position. When Rasiak had a settled run, he was capable of 20 goals a season, but then Burley dropped him for some reason. Presumably if he had played to his potential, you would expect 30 goals a season.

These people are supposed to be professionals and are paid to go out on the pitch and play to the managers instructions. If they don't do that they are more damaging to SFC than all the negative posters here put together.

These people are supposed to be professionals and are paid to go out on the pitch and play to the managers instructions. If they don't do that they are more damaging to SFC than all the negative posters here put together.

I agree. But naturally there are some circumstances where it might be detrimental; Rasiak playing in goal for example, just because the manager requested it. I am using an extreme example to illustrate a point. But as I said in the cases of Rasiak and Scacel, I am not privvy to the workings of Burley's mind, but Raisak scores 20 goals in a season or whatever it was and he is then persona non grata the following season. Scacel had been scoring for fun in a wide roving role for Hearts, but is played at left back by Burley for much of the season.

I agree. But naturally there are some circumstances where it might be detrimental; Rasiak playing in goal for example, just because the manager requested it. I am using an extreme example to illustrate a point. But as I said in the cases of Rasiak and Scacel, I am not privvy to the workings of Burley's mind, but Raisak scores 20 goals in a season or whatever it was and he is then persona non grata the following season. Scacel had been scoring for fun in a wide roving role for Hearts, but is played at left back by Burley for much of the season.

Rasiak scored 20-odd goals in HALF a season, then was persona non grata, being replaced by a bloke who we've essentially just given away. As I said elsewhere, this is one of the most bizarre events in SFC recent history.

I think that the only way to judge last season is to simply say something was rotten in Denmark. Where, how and with whom it started will be debated on here for years to come. Today it matters not whether it was the chicken or the egg - players/board/Burley, what matters only is that for the next few hours before the game there is a glimmer of hope that this year could be different. It may well be that the clear out is because of issues in the players or simply we desperately need to save the money.

Who can really tell.

What I do know is that our manager and players are likely to have to "grow-up" very fast this afternoon, a lot of debutants in one go - anyone remember their first ever game for a new team? Not that many are really in tune with what's happening.......

3.5 hours to go and we'll have some proper evidence of how good or bad the idea of getting rid of all our experienced players is

I think that the only way to judge last season is to simply say something was rotten in Denmark. Where, how and with whom it started will be debated on here for years to come. Today it matters not whether it was the chicken or the egg - players/board/Burley, what matters only is that for the next few hours before the game there is a glimmer of hope that this year could be different. It may well be that the clear out is because of issues in the players or simply we desperately need to save the money.

Who can really tell.

What I do know is that our manager and players are likely to have to "grow-up" very fast this afternoon, a lot of debutants in one go - anyone remember their first ever game for a new team? Not that many are really in tune with what's happening.......

3.5 hours to go and we'll have some proper evidence of how good or bad the idea of getting rid of all our experienced players is

Yes, you're right. We will have a far more rellevant indicator as to where we stand this afternoon than anything else we have wintnessed so far since the end of last season.

Naturally I hope that we play well and win, but I would sum up my thoughts if we do as a triumph of hope over expectation.