View from Cardiff fan

NickG

my brother is a Cardiff season ticket holder so thought would ask his thoughts on the game.

first thing he said was how bad our season is going to be, much the same as the journalists who don't look into it he was under impression that we just missed relegation and then sold our first team with no replacements.

I then tried to explain the way we are playing based on 3 preseason friendlies and JP comments. Found myself sounding quite enthusiastic.

He said it would be interesting as their strengths are pacy fullbacks and footballing midfield. Thought they would put our young fullbacks under pressure, would try to play good football but do like time on the ball.

He did say that although they rate Jones the feeling is that he is not great tactically and they sometimes try to out think the opposition and get it horribly wrong. Think that will be interesting -will other teams try to play their normal game or adapt to our unusual and well publicised tactics?

told him to watch Schneiderlin!

He said it would be interesting as their strengths are pacy fullbacks and footballing midfield. Thought they would put our young fullbacks under pressure, would try to play good football but do like time on the ball.

He did say that although they rate Jones the feeling is that he is not great tactically and they sometimes try to out think the opposition and get it horribly wrong.

Whilst we are good with the ball,do we have someone who is good at breaking up the opposition when they have it ?

As for Jones,I never saw him as a tactician with us either.

Schneiderlin ?Yes,he really could be the great white hope this season.Hope he can tackle as well as distribute the ball.

my brother is a Cardiff season ticket holder so thought would ask his thoughts on the game.

first thing he said was how bad our season is going to be, much the same as the journalists who don't look into it he was under impression that we just missed relegation and then sold our first team with no replacements.

I then tried to explain the way we are playing based on 3 preseason friendlies and JP comments. Found myself sounding quite enthusiastic.

He did say that although they rate Jones the feeling is that he is not great tactically and they sometimes try to out think the opposition and get it horribly wrong. Think that will be interesting -will other teams try to play their normal game or adapt to our unusual and well publicised tactics?

Your brother wont be laughing sat evening after we have given Cardiff an utter drubbing at there own place and played them off the park to.

Cardiff 0 Saints 2 ;)

Is it just me or does every club in this league try and describe themselves as 'footballing'?

I'm not saying Cardiff aren't but with the possible exception of Stoke last season, no-one seems to admit that their side may use the kick and rush tactic more often than not.

Your brother wont be laughing sat evening after we have given Cardiff an utter drubbing at there own place and played them off the park to.

Cardiff 0 Saints 2 ;)

he does have defence in that he was a saints season ticket holder when we grew up and until he moved away. He then had a premiership team and lower division team -how times have changed!

he tends to sit on the fence but think he first team is now Cardiff but hey blood is thicker etc

Is it just me or does every club in this league try and describe themselves as 'footballing'?

I'm not saying Cardiff aren't but with the possible exception of Stoke last season, no-one seems to admit that their side may use the kick and rush tactic more often than not.

when they have seen our style of dynamic high quality football -no other club will be able to say they are a footballing side!:);)

Both born in Southampton and starting going in about 78, when 11 and 13.

I have stayed here and been going for, god thats 20 years!

My brother moved around world and ended up in Cardiff years ago.

Used to come here for odd game but missed regular football and wanted to take his nippers so started with Cardiff. But would still have said Saints his first side but after years of watching them and rarely seeing us he has just starting saying "us" when talking about Cardiff!

I think we've done this one before, but how does one sibling end up supporting Cardiff and the other Saints ???

Who's the Judas in the family, you or him ?

Errm, it can happen. My little sister supports Reading, I am Saints, our childhood was in a village near Basingstoke, our Dad a Saint. Difference, I guess is that my sister played for Reading ladies so Saints became her second team.

Errm, it can happen. My little sister supports Reading, I am Saints, our childhood was in a village near Basingstoke, our Dad a Saint. Difference, I guess is that my sister played for Reading ladies so Saints became her second team.

Fair enough, but if NickG hadnt offered an explanation, I would have described Swindon (half-way between Soton and Cardiff) as a bit of a trek...

Fair enough, but if NickG hadnt offered an explanation, I would have described Swindon (half-way between Soton and Cardiff) as a bit of a trek...

As someone who has lived a good chunk of his life in/around Reading I would describe Swindon a bit less charitably :o)

As someone who has lived a good chunk of his life in/around Reading I would describe Swindon a bit less charitably :o)

As someone who also spent a number of years near Reading,I have enough concerns about that place without giving concern over Swindon,Oxford or anywhere else.

Used to come here for odd game but missed regular football and wanted to take his nippers so started with Cardiff. But would still have said Saints his first side but after years of watching them and rarely seeing us he has just starting saying "us" when talking about Cardiff!

No, that's 30 years!!!

I guess i can understand your brother wanting to watch football and especially wanting to take nippers to see a game, so i think its probably not that uncommon a thing to end up sort of supporting another team, but i bet his heart will still be with saints.

However in my case !

I moved away from Hampshire (Alton) 5 years ago to live here in Lowestoft and have only ever been to see Norwich when Saints are there, I just cant get my head around to even thinking about going to watch them play or supporting them.

My youngest boy is starting to show an interest in football so i guess i may end up having to move back to Hampshire if he asks to go and watch any live games. (fingers crossed)

Well, to be fair, that is basically true,

Thats the worrying thing the replacements aren't as good and our defence are prone to injury :(

I moved away from Hampshire (Alton) 5 years ago to live here in Lowestoft and have only ever been to see Norwich when Saints are there, I just cant get my head around to even thinking about going to watch them play or supporting them.

Hi Lowestoft Saint,

I've been in Norwich for 19 years now and have been to see Norwich a few times every season. However I have mixed feelings about them, I want them to do well enough (or badly enough!) to be in the same division as us, and I want them to have some entertaining players (was Huckerby, may be Hoolahan this season), but I don't "support" them. I like them doing well but not if that's better than we're doing. It's quite pleasant watching games as a neutral and the main excitement is waiting for the Saints score to be announced.

I don't have your issue with kids, my two teenage daughters have no interest in football whatsoever!

keep saying it, but although far from perfect squad, honestly feel that on the whole it is better than this time last year -and until the JD/JG era we were mid table.

Would change if we lose more of Kelvin, Rasiak etc

I don't have your issue with kids, my two teenage daughters have no interest in football whatsoever!

Think again Wilf.

If your girls end up marrying locals, then you will have to work extremely hard to keep the Saints gene prominebt/dominant. I had this last year with one Grandson who had moved away. Told me on the phone that he was changing to Chelsea, 'cos most of his classmates supported them! We had a long talk about the rights and wrongs of gloryhunting, loyalty and life in general. He now wears his Saints shirt proudly and tells them proudly 'I support The Saints'

When the time comes,get in early mate, and treat them to lots and lots of weekends away (St Mary's). Incidentally, his first game was against Bayern Munich! Lucky lad, mine was probably Gillingham Vs.

S****horpe, although I was treated to 7-2 spectacle, which cemented my love of the game from the start.

I really don't want to come on here and be all negative, but playing pretty football is all well and good, but in this league you have to give and take a lot of physical stuff before the pretty football gets a chance. I'm worried.:|

Did you go to the West Ham game?

or view their forum where they complained about us being over physical with James, Gillet and Schneiderlin getting stuck in