3DS - Price cut tomorrow

St Marco

I read somewhere that Nintendo are doing a "sorry" package for those who bought it early, think you get 20 free games if you register before tonight? Not sure if those games are worth the £100 or so you would be out of pocket. Better then nothing though right?

I saw Eurogamer now have up a price watch article, looks like a big price war about to start tomorrow

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-11-uk-3ds-price-cut-roundup

Hmm, I'm not sure about the 3DS.

For a start, I don't see 3D that good anyway. Left eye is a bit knacked.

That said, I would have given it strong consideration as a nice powerful handheld, but there are a few things putting me off. First, it's Nintendo. Anything they release on that machine will be something I've played before, even if they call it something else.

Also, if recent Nintendo purchases are anything to go by, it'll end up gathering dust after the novelty factor has worn off.

That is Nintendo for you!

I never had a handheld console before but now i have to commute to London a bit more i thought would be something good to pass the time with.

So i got one for £115 on amazon. Seems a fair price as you know they will put that back up to around £150 towards xmas as that is when the big games come out for it i.e Mario Land 3D, Mario Kart 3D, Star Fox 3D, Assasins Creed: Lost legacy, Kingdom Hearts 3D (that is gonna sell by the truck load), Kid Icarus uprising, Resident Evil revelations, Metal Gear Solid Snakeater 3D and so on. There are quite a lot of potential decent games in the next few months.

I know what you mean though about the novelty factor wearing off. But the 3DS does have a bit of potential for other things. Like for example Sky and Nintendo are working on getting Sky 3D/tv on there. That would be pretty cool. Same goes for films. I think Netflix are already on there and eventually will activate 3d films. Again that is pretty cool. Reason i was never really interested in the old handhelds was because they were just consoles pretty much. Didn't do much else. The 3ds on the other hand does seem like it can do at least a few other things too i.e web browsing.

No doubt it will sit there un-used for a bit, but if that happens can just flog it on ebay at xmas! :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Being a games journo I have been lucky enough to play most of the forthcoming big hitters for 3DS, and let me tell you there are some crackers on their way.

I went to an event in London a couple of months ago and spent some time playing Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, Kid Icarus Uprising, Metal Gear, Resident Evil Revelations & Luigi's Mansion.

Kid Icarus is possibly the most intriguing of the lot, equal parts roaming 3D platformer and surprisingly hardcore 3D rail shooter/score attack stuff. Resident Evil looks incredible, and although it was an early build I saw, Luigi's Mansion looks like it shares the same oddball charm as the original.

As it stands, however, the three best currently available games I have played for the console are all remakes or ports - Super Street Fighter IV, Ocarina Of Time and Starfox 64 3D, so may be worth holding back on a purchase until some of the aforementioned titles come along.

• 2 months later...