This site needs sorting out on match day.

alpine_saint

It was pathetic in the 2nd half.

1st half sluggish, getting worse minute by minute as the game went on.

Last 10 mins .... forget it. Same as last season.

Also don't we have enough admins to sort out when to change over from one thread to another.

We even have 2 post match chats running simultaneously FFS.

A serious question. What do people get from having a "match" thread on here? Goal updates are quicker from so many other sources and the threads are usually so innane that they are unreadable.

Most forums don't allow them, match threads that is, as they ruin the forum.

A serious question. What do people get from having a "match" thread on here? Goal updates are quicker from so many other sources and the threads are usually so innane that they are unreadable.

Interactivity ?

Okay you go and F5 the live texts of

2 mins Throw in to southampton

6 mins throw in to Barnsley

etc

Many many people can't listen to any form of live match commentary and are totally reliant on The Match day thread for updates and quotes/opinions of the taters rather than ... GOAL Connolly with a header, defender assist.

Leave us to living the games highs and lows with the help of woots, nus and cupcakes ... plus a few weather updates as needed!!

Wasn't that bad today, it's been so much worse. i.e the entire site stops responding for hours after the final whistle!

That doesn't make it acceptable though does it?

Match Day threads are probably the time I am most likely to use this Board owing to my location, and this is repeated all over the country and world. People who may not have access to Radio Solent or saints Player are relying on up to the second updates and then BANG .... week in week out the last most crucial part of the game becomes a frustrating farce on here.

I thought there were supposed to be upgrades and improvements made. Christ it was even slower than normal for friendly matches .... what hope now we are on the march and more interest is generated.

I listen to the saints player feed of Solent, but like to have the match thread open, it's nice to feel part of the excitement with other saints fans.

I don't see why the match thread can't be full members only, or the whole forum be full members only during the game. Saintsweb would probably get a few more fivers that way, too.

My subscription has expired and even though it's only a fiver i will not be paying it until there have been marked improvements.This place is deteriorating quite rapidly.

Strangely however yesterday was not as bad as it has been in the past.

Maybe me being a registered user had something to do with it? I doubt it but...?

I pay a fiver to post on this f*cking site, I don't know of many other football forums that you have to pay for.

Whats more, all of the better posters on here are banned or made toothless and humourless.

Really ?? What would it take to sort it out FFS ?? It wouldn't be half as bad if it was free and full of humour.

Its a f*cking joke TBH

It was absolutelt diabolical on here tonight.

Is anything being done?

As has been suggested previously, something like making the site members only from 15 mins prior to kick-off until 30 mins after would be a great help. it might also encourage more people to pay. Win/Win - just like Saints!!!

the performance is utter turd and has been so for years.....

awful

So why are you still here, when all you do is ****ing whinge?

For those of you who actually have sensible comments to make, see my post on the main board for what's happening in the next week or two.

For those of you who actually have sensible comments to make, see my post on the main board for what's happening in the next week or two.

How odd.

Most businesses, if they charge people for a service and then fail to provide it, are then fairly humble and apologetic to the customer, often offering a full refund. Here, if a paying customer complains about not getting the service they have paid for, they get sworn at and abused by the owners. Are there any other businesses anybody here patronises where they happily accept this and then pay to use it again?

How odd.

Most businesses, if they charge people for a service and then fail to provide it, are then fairly humble and apologetic to the customer, often offering a full refund. Here, if a paying customer complains about not getting the service they have paid for, they get sworn at and abused by the owners. Are there any other businesses anybody here patronises where they happily accept this and then pay to use it again?

Ok, well lets take your comment on face value, dealing with the apologies first. Yes, we are genuinely sorry the server ****s up still, believe me it's a bigger pain in the backside to us that it is to the users. Myself and steve are programmers, we arent customer service representatives and neither of us work in general public facing roles, our capacity for politeness extends only as far as the normal persons. However, we are genuinely apologetic.

Next to the refunds, which quite frankly is the silliest suggestion to the problem I've heard. Now, bear in mind we run this site not for profit, that means that the vast majority of what we spend goes into the server costs and licences, and money left over is left in reserve to deal with costs that might arise that we arent prepared for, that's just good financial planning. So, if we were to provide everyone with a refund, the result would be a) not enough money to go around (we can hardly ask for a refund for the last year from the hosting company) b) paying out what saintsweb can afford to our users and folding the company. Hmm, doesn't seem like a viable "solution" all of a sudden. Or, the other option perhaps, is to continue to try as best we can with the resources (by which I mean, free time) we have available to come up with a solution that will solve the issue. This is what Steve has been working towards for the last few MONTHS. Steve and I talk on a regular basis about the server, and I am completely confident (as would be any other tech savvy person on this forum) that the solution we have lined up with remove any future issues.

I'm glad I spent the last 10 minutes typing this reply up, such a valuable use of my time to repeat what has already been said before, and as much as I'd love to explain things further, I've a single parents life to attend to.

Ok, well lets take your comment on face value, dealing with the apologies first. Yes, we are genuinely sorry the server ****s up still, believe me it's a bigger pain in the backside to us that it is to the users. Myself and steve are programmers, we arent customer service representatives and neither of us work in general public facing roles, our capacity for politeness extends only as far as the normal persons. However, we are genuinely apologetic.

Next to the refunds, which quite frankly is the silliest suggestion to the problem I've heard. Now, bear in mind we run this site not for profit, that means that the vast majority of what we spend goes into the server costs and licences, and money left over is left in reserve to deal with costs that might arise that we arent prepared for, that's just good financial planning. So, if we were to provide everyone with a refund, the result would be a) not enough money to go around (we can hardly ask for a refund for the last year from the hosting company) b) paying out what saintsweb can afford to our users and folding the company. Hmm, doesn't seem like a viable "solution" all of a sudden. Or, the other option perhaps, is to continue to try as best we can with the resources (by which I mean, free time) we have available to come up with a solution that will solve the issue. This is what Steve has been working towards for the last few MONTHS. Steve and I talk on a regular basis about the server, and I am completely confident (as would be any other tech savvy person on this forum) that the solution we have lined up with remove any future issues.

I'm glad I spent the last 10 minutes typing this reply up, such a valuable use of my time to repeat what has already been said before, and as much as I'd love to explain things further, I've a single parents life to attend to.

To put it into perspective, a quick forum search will tell you that complaints about server slowness were being posted on here 2 and a half years ago.

Whilst I appreciate the efforts you, Steve and anyone else go to you've got the classic problem of now providing a service that many felt was previously superior when it was free.

In terms of practical suggestions has there ever been/you considered having a sticky on the main board where forum members can post suggestions and ideas on how to improve the performance and developing a list in the original post? (One suggestion I noticed was restricting the forum to registered users only during matches) Whilst there is the danger of it being hijacked by nonces and people moaning about the same thing over and over again I'm sure there's some techie people on here who may have some good ideas. Then have a trial run with the best suggestions.

I think it's fairly obvious to most sentient beings that norwaysaint wasn't advocating you give full refunds to everyone, he was just using it as an example of how good businesses deal with complaints about a failing product. That you make this the main thrust of your reply detracts from your half-baked excuse for the lack of empathy and plain rudeness often displayed by yourself and stevegrant when faced with constructive criticism.

why dont you (or may have) tap into the posters for expertise.......you may not (or may) know it all and im sure some on here are real experts at this sort of stuff and want this place to be better and may offer their knowledge/advise/help for naff all

It's all kicking off! Now, seeing as I vaguely know Baj and SG, I would be the very first to say they are both scrupulous and honourable men, and it simply beggars belief that anyone could question that they have anything other than good intentions.

As such, I'm sure they'd be more than willing to explain why the service offered isn't all it was planned to be, given the financial contributions that were made to make it better, if only someone asked them in a mature way. Yes, the performance seems terrible during match times, yes, there might be users with excellent ideas that SG and Baj haven't thought of yet, but you know, the place looks better now, it's prettier, and I'm sure there are other improvements as well - but again, I'm sure there are perfectly good reasons if only everyone would give them a chance to discuss it properly. Come to that, I reckon they'd happily refund people who clearly paid only because they thought it would resolve the matchday performance, as that would be fair. They're not the type to ask for money under false pretences, so throw them a bone and grow up about all of it.

Good point. A prettier forum is worth 5 pounds of anyone's money.

Thank you Big John, by the way, you replied to Baj exactly as I would've if I'd had the posts I don't want to pay for. I never suggested a refund, I pointed out that Stevegrant actually swore at and abused a customer who was understandably grumbling that he hadn't been given what he paid for and that this was a long way from what we would all accept from other businesses we patronised.

Good point. A prettier forum is worth 5 pounds of anyone's money.

Thank you Big John, by the way, you replied to Baj exactly as I would've if I'd had the posts I don't want to pay for. I never suggested a refund, I pointed out that Stevegrant actually swore at and abused a customer who was understandably grumbling that he hadn't been given what he paid for and that this was a long way from what we would all accept from other businesses we patronised.

Well then it's lucky that this is a long way from being like other businesses you patronise.

If you honestly believe this web forum run by two blokes in their spare time as a service for other saints fans truly bares comparison to "other businesses", then I'm glad I only have to read 3 of your posts each day.

• 2 weeks later...