F1 2011

JackFrost

Apparently the PS3 version has terrible graphics and fps so might pick this up for Xbox (need to trade Deus Ex in for something).

Just as long as the whole grid don't pass you when you pit it'll be a definite improvement!

Apparently the PS3 version has terrible graphics and fps so might pick this up for Xbox (need to trade Deus Ex in for something).

Just as long as the whole grid don't pass you when you pit it'll be a definite improvement!

That was fixed, about a month after f1 2010 came out!

Just read 5 different reviews, none of them mention the terrible graphics and fps issues, where did you read this?

They've addressed near-as-damnit every issue and omission from F1 2010, as far as I can see. Halfway through my first season (10 races of 19) and enjoying it immensely. At the time of release I thought '10 was pretty much spot on but now can tell that there were a lot of little problems that hampered the experience - definitely couldn't go back.

For one thing the feedback from the wheels feels like each one is individually modelled rather than the car pivoting on a central axis. Also means that you can attack the apexes rather than spinning every time you so much as dare to go near one.

The graphics and framerate do seem to have taken a very slight downturn (it drops under 30fps on more occasions than I'd like), but at times (rainy races for example) it's still pretty stunning. Worth the small sacrifice for such a massively improved game overall (PS3 gamer by the way).

What I want to know is have the following been sorted.

1) when developing the car do you have more of a choice in what you develop and when.

2) If you stay with your team as you have developed a car and want to keep doing so does everything get reset at the end of the season back to the basic car as this really ****ed me off last year.

You can choose the development paths (and the specific areas of the car you want the mechanics to focus on) but only if/when you're #1 driver. I chose to start my career with Williams and Rubens seems to be putting the focus on downforce so far. Not finished a season yet so can't comment on your second question.

played for the first time tonight for about 45 mins. Did what I did in F1 2010 and went for a Hispania on expert mode.

By the end of the first practice session I was 6.6 seconds off the pace, couple of seconds off my team mate.

Different from 2010, you can't cheat out of a impending spin by jamming the brake on and steering into it.

Seems a lot harder than 2010, I won 6 drivers titles easily (3 in a Force India). I do like the new menu layouts

Got my copy today (Xbox 360), had about an hour with it starting a career mode in a HRT, Hard difficulty with traction control and auto gearshifting on.

First thoughts:

1) The game is beautiful, no frame-rate issues so far and the rain effects are amazing.

2) The handling is so much more forgiving now, no more seemingly 'random' spins, you can correct and rescue depending on the severity of your error. It really helps the games enjoyability.... it no longer feels like a lottery.

3) I fear the difficulty level may be a slight bit inconsistent. Around Australia in a the HRT I struggled to qualify off the back row in the wet and struggled into last place. In wet conditions in Malaysia, also in wet conditions I qualified 16th and finished 8th. It may have been just me 'getting used' to the game, but it felt quite a noticable jump in 'ease.'

4) The interviews are still needless.

5) The career mode appears to still use the flawed reputation system. I am hoping that as I go on it'll become clear that you do not get the same reputation for scoring a point in a HRT as in a Red Bull.

6) The creepy agent has gone, get in!

So far, really enjoying the game... Can't wait to waste several more hour on it. :)

Got my copy today (Xbox 360), had about an hour with it starting a career mode in a HRT, Hard difficulty with traction control and auto gearshifting on.

First thoughts:

1) The game is beautiful, no frame-rate issues so far and the rain effects are amazing.

2) The handling is so much more forgiving now, no more seemingly 'random' spins, you can correct and rescue depending on the severity of your error. It really helps the games enjoyability.... it no longer feels like a lottery.

3) I fear the difficulty level may be a slight bit inconsistent. Around Australia in a the HRT I struggled to qualify off the back row in the wet and struggled into last place. In wet conditions in Malaysia, also in wet conditions I qualified 16th and finished 8th. It may have been just me 'getting used' to the game, but it felt quite a noticable jump in 'ease.'

4) The interviews are still needless.

5) The career mode appears to still use the flawed reputation system. I am hoping that as I go on it'll become clear that you do not get the same reputation for scoring a point in a HRT as in a Red Bull.

6) The creepy agent has gone, get in!

So far, really enjoying the game... Can't wait to waste several more hour on it. :)

Jeez she did actually freak me out first time I came across her in F1 2010.

Apparently there is a rather big bug in the game. If you set you carnet up to the maximum spring stiffness (11 at front and rear) you will get an unrealistic level of grip and breaking force. It can improve lap times dissproportionately. (4 seconds a lap or so.)

Anyone experiencing this? I will try on my Xbox copy when I get home tonight.

Well I've found one bloody annoying bug

did a 2 player co-op championship online and on a 50% race finished 18th after being lapped by the first 3 or 4 cars.

It then classified me as 23rd +1lap and the cars that finished behind me were classified in front of me classified +number of minutes

I'll have to switch it down to 20% now,

EDIT: apparently some patch is already out for the PS3, hope it sorts this

Edited by JackFrost

Anyone know the answer to this yet?

2) If you stay with your team as you have developed a car and want to keep doing so does everything get reset at the end of the season back to the basic car as this really ****ed me off last year.

Will soon find out, I've re-signed for Hispania for my second season, won't find out until later next week though due to work.

Any news?

Yes. I finished my first season with my Hispania performing at the back of the midfield. After a few races into the second season, i'm relieved that the development work has carried over. Now i'm working towards it being a regular points finisher.

Excellent thanks for that. Might get it at the end of the month. Our of interest was anyone able to confirm if putting your front and rear shocks to full actually was a buggy cheat? (xbox)

It seems that Codemaster's physics model is a little off. Increasing the stiffness to max (11 front, 11 rear) does improve braking and car stability to a quite odd degree. You can get quite a noticably performance improvement by making these adjustments. Using this it is possible to perform such notbale feats as taking Eau Rouge flat with DRS activated and turn into corners while breaking without losing control of the car.

• 3 months later...

I was given an Xbox 360 wireless speed wheel, and this has utterly changed the feel of this game, it's a much better experience with the Wheel, much better to control and far offers far more 'feel' then the control pad. I can highly recommend to any racing game fan.