Can you pass the UK citizen test?

anothersaintinsouthsea

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/blog/quiz/2011/oct/11/uk-citizenship-test-quiz

25 sample questions from the test. I scored 15 out of 25 which is a fail as you need to get 75% and above. I'm well educated, have a strong interest in history and moderate grasp of current affairs - must be bloody difficult to pass if you are a foreigner to these shores. Suspect most Brits would have to revise hard to get a pass

It should be remembered that there is a course / book which contains all the information that these questions relate to. So basically it's a test of your ability to learn and remember facts. We are attempting it 'blind'.

Having said that, it's a pointless test. I don't see how knowing these things would make you a good citizen.

Not a chance i can pass that. That's why you get a study book to learn this stuff. Really i don't see how proving when women were given the right to divorce their husband makes you a citizen though as i guarantee 90% of people you meet will have no clue

Totally agree, if they have to have a test they should make the questions more relevant to everyday life.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/blog/quiz/2011/oct/11/uk-citizenship-test-quiz

25 sample questions from the test. I scored 15 out of 25 which is a fail as you need to get 75% and above. I'm well educated, have a strong interest in history and moderate grasp of current affairs - must be bloody difficult to pass if you are a foreigner to these shores. Suspect most Brits would have to revise hard to get a pass

Not really hard for them to pass as there is a study guide to revise all the answers from. Absolutely pointless piece of bureaucracy.

25 for me... I would make this test compulsory for all immigrants.

Yeah, right. We all believe you.

How far back does your family history go then Dune? Pre Norman invasion? Any Irish or Hugenot blood? No ancestor ever married 'out'? No great-uncle you've forgotten? Because if not, you are just about the only true Englishman here. Oh no, hang on, what about those pesky foreign Romans, Saxons and Vikings? Or are you pure Celt? All Angle?

It's a very rare person indeed who has no immigrant/foreign blood anywhere in the past few generations of their family .. the only real variation is how recent.

15 for me - totally pointless questions in the main.

Just a thought - in how many languages is the test published? More than one?

No. In fact that's a major part of the point of the test IMO. It's in English (or Gaelic!) only. Immigrants seeking citizenship have to study the facts in English, and have to have a reasonable level of proficiency in the language to be able to pass..... which even someone like me (whom Dune no doubt considers a lilly-livered, wishy-washy, leftie liberal) thinks is a good idea.

"Is the test only available in English?

The test is offered routinely in English. However, if you are taking the test in a centre based in Wales you may request to take a test in the Welsh language, or if taking the test in Scotland you may request to take the test in Scottish Gaelic. "

I had to pass the US citizen test. The average American would fail. Of course, it's a lot easier if you know the questions and answers and just have to learn it all.

Even today I still know more about "Real" US history both political and cultural than the average American. They still think they invented the car and started the industrial revolution.

No. In fact that's a major part of the point of the test IMO. It's in English (or Gaelic!) only. Immigrants seeking citizenship have to study the facts in English, and have to have a reasonable level of proficiency in the language to be able to pass..... which even someone like me (whom Dune no doubt considers a lilly-livered, wishy-washy, leftie liberal) thinks is a good idea.

"Is the test only available in English?

The test is offered routinely in English. However, if you are taking the test in a centre based in Wales you may request to take a test in the Welsh language, or if taking the test in Scotland you may request to take the test in Scottish Gaelic. "

Thanks, Ken -pleased to hear it! To my mind that IS the point of the test - the questions are almost irrelevant.

25 correct, out of a possible 24, that is truly awesom Dune, perhaps you should be Queen.

Can't vouch for it but somebody told me he was one, but she's a bit in denial..

But the question on divorce, how many hours a kid can work; some of those questions I'm not even interested in knowing and I'm generally a glutton for useless information.