Gammon

SuperMikey

Hi folks,

I'm cooking a nice gammon joint at the moment, it's 0.7kg and i'm currently boiling it in water to cook it through before putting it in the oven this evening.

Any tips for what to finish it with for oven cooking? I hear mustard and brown sugar is nice.

THAAAANKS

Its too late now, but next time try cooking it in Cola rather than water. I know it sounds dreadful, but trust me.

A mustard and brown sugar glaze at the end would be brilliant

We tried that one christmas with a ham, it just burned in the oven! Didn't work very well...

I think I will try honey and mustard (mostly because those are the only things that I wouldn't need to buy) - thanks for the advice chaps.

Edited by SuperMikey

Boiled it twice, let it rest for a few hours while I was at my lectures and made a glaze of honey and french mustard, which i've put quite liberally over the top and around the sides of the joint. Put it in the oven now on Gas Mark 4 covered with foil, going to give it half an hour then put it on at Gas Mark 6 for 15 minutes. Larvely.

Best part about this is the meat itself only cost £1.74.

IDShot_225x225.jpg

Please let us know what it honestly tastes like. For me, £1.74 for a gammon joint sounds awfully cheap.

I feed myself well on a really small budget. I only cook meat at most twice a week but when I do I either buy cheap cuts of meat from a quality independent butcher and then make a stew or I buy a quality roasting joint from same butcher. Going to a quality independent butcher is really a must. Nothing per se against the butcher in Sainsbury's but the actual man is always different. Building a relationship with the butcher means he looks after you and will not give you crap. As far as roast go I will happily pay £25 for a big beautiful hunk of rolled rib with loads of marbling. This will feed me all week, sanis and all. My sound expensive but believe me it is quality and every scrap gets used. Also, anything on the bone so use the bone for stock.

I only ever buy British or Irish meat. The idea of shipping dead carcasses halfway around the world appalls me. A new zealand lamb leg may cost £5 cheaper than a Welsh one but not only should we support our own farmers I genuinely believe you can't beat Welsh lamb. Irish beef is really excellent too, all that lush green grass!

I usually cook a smoked gammon joint very slowly in a roasting bag with a small tin of pineapple chunks and their juice, then knock up a light cheese and caper sauce to pour over when its carved. Always seems to work out well, thats how the Hunters in swanmore always used to serve it up as well.

Please let us know what it honestly tastes like. For me, £1.74 for a gammon joint sounds awfully cheap.

I feed myself well on a really small budget. I only cook meat at most twice a week but when I do I either buy cheap cuts of meat from a quality independent butcher and then make a stew or I buy a quality roasting joint from same butcher. Going to a quality independent butcher is really a must. Nothing per se against the butcher in Sainsbury's but the actual man is always different. Building a relationship with the butcher means he looks after you and will not give you crap. As far as roast go I will happily pay £25 for a big beautiful hunk of rolled rib with loads of marbling. This will feed me all week, sanis and all. My sound expensive but believe me it is quality and every scrap gets used. Also, anything on the bone so use the bone for stock.

I only ever buy British or Irish meat. The idea of shipping dead carcasses halfway around the world appalls me. A new zealand lamb leg may cost £5 cheaper than a Welsh one but not only should we support our own farmers I genuinely believe you can't beat Welsh lamb. Irish beef is really excellent too, all that lush green grass!

That's really interesting. Thanks for sharing that with us.

I have to say that I'm seriously impressed by some of the culinary skills and knowledge demonstrated by the forum members from time to time. I can't remember anyone from my student days who would have thought about cooking honey and mustard glazed gammon. Pasty and tinned peas was about the limit then.

Purely coincidental... I was going to cook it last night but managed to pick up a couple of Garlic Kievs for 85p as they were going out of date on Saturday evening so had them instead.

The gammon is really nice by the way, good purchase. The joint actually cost £2.98, I must have got that mixed up with something else.