UB40 to UB40

Gemmel

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15348236

Such a shame 70 million records sold and they are bust.

They made some fantastic music (Not all of it) and captured the mood of a generation. In a world today where one hit, makes you a millionaire, it seems wrong that such talented people who took their music across two, even three decades are left with nothing

First saw them in January 1980 at Runton pavilion in Norfolk. They were support band of the Pretenders that night - Although I am no great fan of reggae style music ( Food for Thought and One in Ten were the only songs I really liked), I could appreciate after seeing them that night that they had a decent musical career ahead of them...But after todays news what do I know !

My only question would whether declaring themselves bankrupt actually means they are skint (as opposed to it being a way of fobbing off their creditors).

Saw them down the Guildhall in their pomp about 80/81. Signing Off was a superb album, and although Labour of Love wasn't bad, just didn't give me the same fee (bit too commercial and not as raw).

Numbers in band names makes me think of Level 42. Are they bust? Probably they deserve it more than UB40, though it's a close call. IoW band? Basically all UB40's bigness was doing cod-reggae covers of cod reggae songs. But they started off 'real' and chased the big bucks, ending up eating themselves. Naming themselves after a form was a stroke of genius.

Such promising beginnings in the early 80's, but quickly downhill as they chased the commercial big bucks. Still listen to 'Signing Off' - but sadly when I hear the name UB40 the first song that comes to mind is 'Rat in Mi Kitchen' - and on that basis alone - bankruptcy is well deserved.

Such promising beginnings in the early 80's, but quickly downhill as they chased the commercial big bucks. Still listen to 'Signing Off' - but sadly when I hear the name UB40 the first song that comes to mind is 'Rat in Mi Kitchen' - and on that basis alone - bankruptcy is well deserved.

I have been completely oblivious to that tune. Must have blocked it out. As soon I read it the music went off in my head, and for that, I condemn you :)