Alpine Saints...

Here I am..

Cervinia opens on the 29th October and the real alpine Saint will be there: my bank account has taken a hit as I've already got my regional ski-pass (with 40% residents discount). As I've lost a lot of my teaching hours as a result of the crisi I could well be using it a lot if I can afford the petrol!

When I went to see the pre-season at Thun the other season I chatted to a scientist working in Switzerland but I can't remember her name.

I'm not one for wearing footie shirts around but I do wear mine to training occasionally, and my car is easily identifiable;-), but never seen any Saints insignia on holidaymakers. I keep hoping for a pre-season friendly on this side of the Alps, and getting a few well paid days of interpreting work as well!

• 3 weeks later...

Well Austria isn't looking too good at present, the snow is absolutely nowhere to be seen in most places. Some low lying resorts are supposed to be opening the lifts on 3rd December, really can't see that happening unless something miraculous happens.

I went skiing at Cervinia a week ago but it's only open above 2400 and I was skiing mainly on the glacier. Although fun I probably shan't bother going again until a bit more snow arrives. Pila's (my local place) opening on the 26th now looks severely in doubt, as although they've got good snowmaking it's not a substitute for a natural base layer and it's been so warm. At least night time temperatures are dropping.

• 3 weeks later...
Can you send some over to Tignes?

My daughter is going with her boyfriend's family the week before Xmas!!

Looking at the Tignes webcam it looks fine, in fact there is a hell of a lot more snow there than there is in Austria.

Looking at the Tignes webcam it looks fine, in fact there is a hell of a lot more snow there than there is in Austria.

Tks ... just had a look, much better than I was expecting when I was looking at the reported snow depths.

Making me jealous now ... missing out this season as Mrs EoA broke her leg in August and even 2013 doesn't look too promising for her. :scared:

Going skiing in Austria next week Kev, really can't wait to practice my snowplough on the slopes.

Well up until yesterday there was no snow in Scheffau and none in the rest of the Ski Welt however it's looking more promising from today. Saying that the lifts were supposed to open on the 3rd but had to be put back until 15th, probably when you're arriving. Enjoy it and fingers crossed for more of the white stuff.

Still no snow at my local hill but La Thuile on the border with France (La Rosiere) has had some and expecting a bit more, as has Courmayeur. Generally pants though, and largely too warm for cannon. Colder weather expected and maybe a bit more snow, but certainly haven't had value from my season pass yet!

I spent a few days in St Christoph in between St Anton and Lech last week, it smashed it down and cars had to be dug out the snow. Saying that we were at 1800m, I'm now close to Innsbruck at 900m and there is sod all in the village. Everything opens fully here on the 23rd. COME ON THE SNOW!

Expecting more here on the western and northern edges of the valley, so finally La Thuile and Courmayeur have joined Cervinia in being open and a good bit more expected this week (maybe a very good bit :-) ). Just in time for my visit back to the UK for Christmas...

Here's a summary of webcams across my area: very useful for giving an idea of conditions across the area:

http://www.regione.vda.it/turismo/prima_di_partire/in_tempo_reale/webcam_i.asp

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd give this thread a bump.

Well we've almost recovered here in Austria from the chaos over the last few weeks, never seen snow like that!

Next live game coming up being Leicester at home, can't imagine the Forest game being online anywhere.

Thought I'd give this thread a bump.

Well we've almost recovered here in Austria from the chaos over the last few weeks, never seen snow like that!

Next live game coming up being Leicester at home, can't imagine the Forest game being online anywhere.

Hi Kev .... making a flying visit to your old stamping ground this weekend. Flying back later tonight and Mrs Eoa

who has been stuck in UK with a broken leg since August fancied a trip down to Nottingham to visit our daughter ....

and this weekend turned out to be about our only convenient time - and I'm ok to see the game loverly jublee.

Can't see where the goals are going to come from but feel like a good old 3-1 win.

The possible good news for you is that Al Jazeera are airing the game live on ththeir Channel 3 - which means there is a very high chance of some

dodgy streaming somewhere if you are lucky!!

Hi Kev .... making a flying visit to your old stamping ground this weekend. Flying back later tonight and Mrs Eoa

who has been stuck in UK with a broken leg since August fancied a trip down to Nottingham to visit our daughter ....

and this weekend turned out to be about our only convenient time - and I'm ok to see the game loverly jublee.

Can't see where the goals are going to come from but feel like a good old 3-1 win.

The possible good news for you is that Al Jazeera are airing the game live on ththeir Channel 3 - which means there is a very high chance of some

dodgy streaming somewhere if you are lucky!!

Great news, I'll keep an eye out for that then.

You've timed the trip to perfection. Out of the 7 years I spent in Nottingham, not once did we play Forest home or away but the moment I bugger off abroad we play them regularly. Have a cracking day, always a good one on the beer. I agree on the goals front, we could do with Lallana stepping up and recapturing his form of old. You never know, we might make a shock loan signing in time to play on Saturday?!

The possible good news for you is that Al Jazeera are airing the game live on ththeir Channel 3 - which means there is a very high chance of some dodgy streaming somewhere if you are lucky!!

Good oh! Skiing in the morning before it gets busy and down to watch the game with supplies from the UK: Marstons Oyster Stout and Pedigree, Fullers Bottle conditioned, then hit the town as we're still on our winter footie break and can sleep in Sunday...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone. Off to Innsbruck for a week from Monday. Information seems pretty hard to find about the important things like Beer prices etc, so can any of our Austrian friends help me out? How much roughly for a McDonalds? How much for a pint of lager etc.

Also was thinking about having a day trip to Munich and watching Bayern v Kaiserslauten next weekend, Have found a site which we can get tickets, but is the Innsbruck to Munich trip easily doable and how much will it cost roughly?

Thanks in advance

Darren

Hi everyone. Off to Innsbruck for a week from Monday. Information seems pretty hard to find about the important things like Beer prices etc, so can any of our Austrian friends help me out? How much roughly for a McDonalds? How much for a pint of lager etc.

Also was thinking about having a day trip to Munich and watching Bayern v Kaiserslauten next weekend, Have found a site which we can get tickets, but is the Innsbruck to Munich trip easily doable and how much will it cost roughly?

Thanks in advance

Darren

Hello Darren, I'm 10 minutes away from Innsbruck. What do you want to know? Will you be skiing?

Beer - average in the city is about €3.50 for a large beer but will be more around the Old Town and the touristy places. Quality beer here in Austria and you won't get much less than 5% so think Stella without a pikey feel.

McDonalds - can't say I'm a fan unless I'm hideously hungover. I think you're talking about €6 for a meal but Austrian food is superb and they love meat. Try a Tiroler Gröstl, you're talking fried potatoes, fired meat, herbs and a fried egg on top... my favourite Austrian meal.

Munich - if you buy a ticket on the day it's expensive, about €70 return I believe and takes just shy of 2 hours. There are cheaper ways of doing it but it means a much slower journey including changes. I've been to the Allianz Arena, can't say that I was that impressed as it's a typical out of town new stadium. Only bonus was that I could drink decent beer in my seat. FC Wacker Innsbruck are at home to Red Bull Salzburg on the 11th February so you could always go to that.

If you need any other info let me know.

Thanks Kev, Very helpful. Yes we are planning on Skiing but we are all complete novices having never done it before. Would you know whether it is easy for us to get a lesson or something and then hit the slopes, And how much roughly that would cost? We are also keen on Tobaganning as that is a cheaper alternative. Any decent toboggan runs in Innsbruck?

Will definately try the Tiroler Grostl, sounds apertising. Would FC Wacker Innsbruck be likely to sell out and how easy is it to get tickets for them? As that sounds a cheaper alternative.

Cheers

Darren

Good away day in Nottingham then Eric?

Sorry Kev, only just seen this!!

3-0 away win - a few pre match beers in town and then a stonking meal in The Curry Lounge in the evening with Mrs EoA and daughter. Stayed at Mecure then another great meal, Sunday Roast in Sinatra's before setting off to visit my folks in Eastleigh.

With Mrs EoA still on crutches and temps about -2c didn't hit town, but from what I saw, it looked very lively and gangs of girls staggering about in barely any clothes despite the temperature made me wish we had!!

Thanks Kev, Very helpful. Yes we are planning on Skiing but we are all complete novices having never done it before. Would you know whether it is easy for us to get a lesson or something and then hit the slopes, And how much roughly that would cost? We are also keen on Tobaganning as that is a cheaper alternative. Any decent toboggan runs in Innsbruck?

Will definately try the Tiroler Grostl, sounds apertising. Would FC Wacker Innsbruck be likely to sell out and how easy is it to get tickets for them? As that sounds a cheaper alternative.

Cheers

Darren

Well my local mountain is the Patscherkofel and I know the Ski School pretty well. We are 10 minutes on the J bus from the city so easy to reach and a good little area to start. The Ski School also does cheap ski hire too. Starting skiing for the first time is not cheap though, you'll need to pay for equipment, a beginners lift pass and then of course for the tuition. Stick your email address on here and I'll email you the exact details if you like.

There are plenty of quality toboganning tracks around Innsbruck and some are floodlit, the one at Schlick 2000 in Fulpmes is supposedly quality and you'd be able to get a bus there. As much as toboganning is class you should definitely try the Olympic Bobsleigh, the 'guest bobs' run on Tuesdays and Thursday, it's fantastic and for €30 it's well worth the money for the experience. I usually take people on it on Thursdays.

Wacker Innsbruck never sell out, the ground holds about 17,000 (reduced from Euro 2008 ), there will only be about 12,000 there for the game so tickets won't be a problem. It should be a good occasion because everyone hates Red Bull Salzburg.

Sorry Kev, only just seen this!!

3-0 away win - a few pre match beers in town and then a stonking meal in The Curry Lounge in the evening with Mrs EoA and daughter. Stayed at Mecure then another great meal, Sunday Roast in Sinatra's before setting off to visit my folks in Eastleigh.

With Mrs EoA still on crutches and temps about -2c didn't hit town, but from what I saw, it looked very lively and gangs of girls staggering about in barely any clothes despite the temperature made me wish we had!!

Sounds like you had a good one then Eric. Whatever you get up to in Nottingham it's pretty hard not to have a great weekend there.

FC Wacker Innsbruck are at home to Red Bull Salzburg on the 11th February so you could always go to that.

I presume they must have undersoil heating as _all_ non fully-pro fixtures have been called off here in NW Italy all the way down to the coast. Worth checking with a local, anyway. Not that much snow low down in ski resort terms (although the off-piste was gloriously light mid-week) but at -11 on the way to work this morning and getting colder at the week-end it's not going to shift. Ironic really as we've had great and mild weather since the New Year during our winter break!

I presume they must have undersoil heating as _all_ non fully-pro fixtures have been called off here in NW Italy all the way down to the coast. Worth checking with a local, anyway. Not that much snow low down in ski resort terms (although the off-piste was gloriously light mid-week) but at -11 on the way to work this morning and getting colder at the week-end it's not going to shift. Ironic really as we've had great and mild weather since the New Year during our winter break!

The game isn't until a week tomorrow Sue.

Ah, OK, but I'd still keep an eye on it! It's going to be freezing all week (-14 at times) and goodness what I'm going to look like tomorrow if I decide to go skiing - Michelin woman with all the layers!

I passed up the opportunity to go skiing at Stubai today, I'm not messing about with temperatures down at -20. The perks of being out here for a season or longer meaning we don't have to get out on the mountain at every given moment.

I passed up the opportunity to go skiing at Stubai today, I'm not messing about with temperatures down at -20. The perks of being out here for a season or longer meaning we don't have to get out on the mountain at every given moment.

A whole bunch of my workmates are going to Garmische today - expected high of -24 with wind chill factor making it -36c. One of them is from South Africa and has never seen snow before and only time been in temps below 0c was in The Ski Dubai slope where she learnt to ski. She is in for a shock I reckon!!

A whole bunch of my workmates are going to Garmische today - expected high of -24 with wind chill factor making it -36c. One of them is from South Africa and has never seen snow before and only time been in temps below 0c was in The Ski Dubai slope where she learnt to ski. She is in for a shock I reckon!!

Ha ha, they won't like it up on the Zugspitze then!

Exactly! So I'm home in the warm lesson prepping instead and enjoying the Pompey Takeover thread!