I've just disturbed a burglar in my house

Johnny Bognor

I was woken up at 5am this morning with someone in my house. I shouted at him and the yellow bellied **** ran off. I gave chase but he was gone.

Luckily, a police car was nearby and gave chase to a car going at high speed away from the area (which is quite rural). They gave chase, but he bailed out (dumped the the car) and legged it. The old bill found my laptop and satnav in his car, so with a bit of luck there is enough to go on (linking the car to the burglary) to find out who did it.

I hope they find the ****.

Respect to Tony Martin, because if I had a shotgun, the **** would be coughing up lead now.

My first response would be thank God that you and your family came out unscathed. Must have been quite an adrenalin rush and have always wondered what I would do when confronted with the same circumstances, so fair play for having a go.

After my parents were burgled they struggled for a while as they felt their privacy had been breached, plus I think they felt a bit unsafe and worried whether he/they would return. So fingers crossed your family don't suffer any long term consequences and maybe get yourself someone in to tighten things up to stop them returning or doing something to at least try and prevent it (even if it just gives you and your family some reassurance).

Glad to hear you and yours are safe, and that you got your stuff back. Also, as you say, the police also have a good lead to finding the ar5ehole.

However, don't bemoan the fact he ran away. Far better than than him being a drugged up, knife wielding, nutter. Things could have been a LOT worse.

Although you may not feel it at this time, you had a lucky course of events:

You woke up

He ran away

A police car was nearby (figure the odds)

They gave chase (add that to the above odds)

He ditched the car leaving your stuff behind

None of your family were physically hurt (although they probably have been psychologically)

I hope the police catch him, and soon!

Also, as Um said (and as I'm sure you have already thought) look a good look as to how you can make your house more secure; if only for the mental wellbeing of your family.

I have a burglar alarm that is zoned so I set the downstairs every night. Hopefully, should anyone break in, they would leg it when the alarm went off. I know that they can be expensive, but not necessarily so, but I would recommend one to all those that don't. The other thing is to actually set it every night. We can all get a bit lazy.

It was probably a good thing that the **** did leg it. Better than letting the red mist descend and God know's what consequences. While it might appeal to the heart beating the hell out of him, the head probably think what would happen if I was then done for GBH/ABH/murder./man slaughter?

My first response would be thank God that you and your family came out unscathed. Must have been quite an adrenalin rush and have always wondered what I would do when confronted with the same circumstances, so fair play for having a go.

After my parents were burgled they struggled for a while as they felt their privacy had been breached, plus I think they felt a bit unsafe and worried whether he/they would return. So fingers crossed your family don't suffer any long term consequences and maybe get yourself someone in to tighten things up to stop them returning or doing something to at least try and prevent it (even if it just gives you and your family some reassurance).

Yes, well it is strange this morning. Two years ago, my wife had a stalker and as a result I installed CCTV, enhanced locks and a burglar alarm with a panic button. I have recenetly had an extension built and the CCTV and alarm were turned off. Obviously, it is time to get them switched on.

Glad you and your family are ok. It must have really shaken you all up.

Can we have a description please.

Luckily my two 6 year olds slept through. The wife is shaken up, naturally and this morning I went down to game, set and match to buy a bat. White male, 25-35, medium build.

Glad to hear you and yours are safe, and that you got your stuff back. Also, as you say, the police also have a good lead to finding the ar5ehole.

However, don't bemoan the fact he ran away. Far better than than him being a drugged up, knife wielding, nutter. Things could have been a LOT worse.

Although you may not feel it at this time, you had a lucky course of events:

You woke up

He ran away

A police car was nearby (figure the odds)

They gave chase (add that to the above odds)

He ditched the car leaving your stuff behind

None of your family were physically hurt (although they probably have been psychologically)

I hope the police catch him, and soon!

Also, as Um said (and as I'm sure you have already thought) look a good look as to how you can make your house more secure; if only for the mental wellbeing of your family.

Yep, lucky.

He took the laptop, sat nav and hands free telephone thingy from my car (which was unlocked). He then went through my garage (which was unlocked) round to the back. He then levered the doors open with a crowbar and got in. This is when I woke up. I shouted down the stairs and he ran outside. I ran to the back door after him when I should have run to the front to cut him off. By the time I had got round to the front, he was away in his car.

The Mrs rang 999 and Chichester despatched two cars and so did Bognor. It was one of the Bognor cars that spotted someone speeding and gave chase (at this point there was no connection). The guy dumped his car and Bognor Police found my stuff in it. Apparently he has form and they know who it is, so it looks like he will get some justice. The downside is the old bill are keeping my stuff for evidence, so I won't get it back for a while.

Thankfully no-one was hurt and I guess I will lock everything in future. The security company are re-activating the CCTV and alarm as I type.

You never know how you will react in these situations, you predominently go on instinct. I guess the adrenaline is still pumping so I guess it will catch up with me later.

I guess their first response is always just to get out as quickly as possible when disturbed, at least that's how it was when i confronted a burglar.

I used to rent a room on the ground floor of a house in Moseley when I was younger. Once I heard a noise outside in the middle of the night and looked out to see an enormous bloke attacking the lock of my car with a sharpened screwdriver. I leapt up and ran out to confront him, dressed in just a pair of boxers. I'm not a big bloke at all, but despite being twice my size and armed, he ran off down the street. I even chased him a short way. It seemed odd later, but maybe the sight of a nearly naked bloke running at you shouting in the middle of the night would scare off most people.

Do you get your stuff staight back, or do they keep it for evidence?

Last christmas my neighbour was away, on christmas day I saw someone walked into her back garden. I plucked up all my courage & went around, to be confronted by her son who said he was getting his pressies whilst mum was away, so I went back home. Boxing day I had the rozzers at my door saying next door had been robbed & had I seen anything. Turns out her son is/was a junkie & broke in, by the time they got hold of him he'd sold the stuff, nice lad.

I'm in the kill him first then ask him questions later camp, if he ever happened to me

You say that but a friend found someone trying to get into his back door at 2 am and slapped him about a bit, turns out the bloke was drunk, lived two doors down and genuinely thought it was his house.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

As well as a burglar alarm I've got too bloody big dogs, who make one hell of a lot of noise at the slightest movement outside.

I was woken up at 5am this morning with someone in my house. I shouted at him and the yellow bellied **** ran off. I gave chase but he was gone.

Luckily, a police car was nearby and gave chase to a car going at high speed away from the area (which is quite rural). They gave chase, but he bailed out (dumped the the car) and legged it. The old bill found my laptop and satnav in his car, so with a bit of luck there is enough to go on (linking the car to the burglary) to find out who did it.

I hope they find the ****.

Respect to Tony Martin, because if I had a shotgun, the **** would be coughing up lead now.

Mistake! You should've introduced yourself with a meat cleaver and tortured him.

Do you get your stuff staight back, or do they keep it for evidence?

They are keeping it for evidence

Mistake! You should've introduced yourself with a meat cleaver and tortured him.

Indeed. I should have crept downstairs wearing nothing but a meat cleaver. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Johhny, ask them to fingerprint it, photograph it and then give it you back. No need to keep it all in storage once that's been done.

Looks like they will catch up with the little sh*t....keep asking for updates from OB to keep themon their toes. Fair play to a good response from them tho.

Glad to here that you & your family are OK, hope as they know the scumbag he will get whats coming to him. Bridgey is unfortunately right about having an alarm & not using it! A teacher at my wife's school got burgled, similar to you Johnny & insurance refused to pay up as their alarm wasn't on. Just hope that as you've not declared it you'll be ok with the insurance.

I also like D.S.M have 2 large dogs that bark when they here anyone outside, this always makes the scumbags think twice in my opinion.

Glad to here that you & your family are OK, hope as they know the scumbag he will get whats coming to him. Bridgey is unfortunately right about having an alarm & not using it! A teacher at my wife's school got burgled, similar to you Johnny & insurance refused to pay up as their alarm wasn't on. Just hope that as you've not declared it you'll be ok with the insurance.

I also like D.S.M have 2 large dogs that bark when they here anyone outside, this always makes the scumbags think twice in my opinion.

Not really. I used to be a serial burgular, and I'd just take a nice juicy steak with some rat poison in it - shuts them up long enough for you to go about your business.

Not really. I used to be a serial burgular, and I'd just take a nice juicy steak with some rat poison in it - shuts them up long enough for you to go about your business.

Why would someone want to hurt dogs just to steal some cornflakes? Broken Britain! Complete scum if you ask me.

Should have set H+C on him would have sorted him out. Glad you're all Ok, bet he's a skate.

I got a call from Bognor OB when they found my stuff in the car.

At the time, I had Chichester OB in the kitchen with me and my mobile phone tone is "We're coming for you..... you dirty skate bastards...".

One of the officers said, "oh no, not a scummer. Come on everyone we're all done here". Quite funny at the time....

Luckily for the burglar, h & c didn't wake up or he really would have been in for it then :-).

Edited by Johnny Bognor

I got a call from Bognor OB when they found my stuff in the car.

At the time, I had Chichester OB in the kitchen with me and my mobile phone tone is "We're coming for you..... you dirty skate bastards...".

One of the officers said, "oh no, not a scummer. Come on everyone we're all done here". Quite funny at the time....

Luckily for the burglar, h & c didn't wake up or he really would have been in for it then :-).

Quality ringtone, where did you get it from?

Yes, well it is strange this morning. Two years ago, my wife had a stalker and as a result I installed CCTV, enhanced locks and a burglar alarm with a panic button. I have recenetly had an extension built and the CCTV and alarm were turned off. Obviously, it is time to get them switched on.

Luckily my two 6 year olds slept through. The wife is shaken up, naturally and this morning I went down to game, set and match to buy a bat. White male, 25-35, medium build.

Yep, lucky.

He took the laptop, sat nav and hands free telephone thingy from my car (which was unlocked). He then went through my garage (which was unlocked) round to the back. He then levered the doors open with a crowbar and got in. This is when I woke up. I shouted down the stairs and he ran outside. I ran to the back door after him when I should have run to the front to cut him off. By the time I had got round to the front, he was away in his car.

The Mrs rang 999 and Chichester despatched two cars and so did Bognor. It was one of the Bognor cars that spotted someone speeding and gave chase (at this point there was no connection). The guy dumped his car and Bognor Police found my stuff in it. Apparently he has form and they know who it is, so it looks like he will get some justice. The downside is the old bill are keeping my stuff for evidence, so I won't get it back for a while.

Thankfully no-one was hurt and I guess I will lock everything in future. The security company are re-activating the CCTV and alarm as I type.

You never know how you will react in these situations, you predominently go on instinct. I guess the adrenaline is still pumping so I guess it will catch up with me later.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and it won't occur to a lot of people until it's happened to them, but as soon as an opportunist robber finds a car unlocked on a drive or a garage the vast majority will fancy their chances at finding something else unlocked. . . If they'd have both been locked it'd have deterred a surprising amount of thieves or potential thieves who'd have moved on to the next property. But like I say if it hasn't happened before it won't naturally occur to the majority of people who live in quiet, low-crime areas.

Being an ex-copper I'd always recommend trying to call the police immediately (as soon as you are aware of an intruder) without disturbing them, shadow them and see if you can lock them in a room or as a last resort try and stop them getting out. If successful they've hung themselves with the maximum amount of rope when the coppers turn up. Key thing also is to know your enemy. No one wants to be going to defend their property with a baseball bat and find their up against 4 blokes with knives.

But glad to hear you and your family are all ok. It's highly unlikely the bloke will be back but the coppers should have advised you security wise, although sounds like you have a lot of it already. Keep everything locked up with decent locks and with the CCTV/alarms you'll be fine.

But with security generally the main problem is with a lot of people is simply attitude. The amount of break-ins I investigated where the occupants couldn't be bothered/didn't think it necessary to shut/lock windows/doors at night was simply staggering. I'll never forget one break-in I investigated about 6-7 years ago when a family went on holiday and left their house unoccupied, deliberately left big windows open (including ones in full view of the street) "to make sure the house was aired and it was ok because their terrier was guarding everything"

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and it won't occur to a lot of people until it's happened to them, but as soon as an opportunist robber finds a car unlocked on a drive or a garage the vast majority will fancy their chances at finding something else unlocked. . . If they'd have both been locked it'd have deterred a surprising amount of thieves or potential thieves who'd have moved on to the next property. But like I say if it hasn't happened before it won't naturally occur to the majority of people who live in quiet, low-crime areas.

Ironically, because I left the lap top in the car and this was taken and subsequently found in the getaway car, it linked the car to the crime. Had he simply broken in and got away, it would have been more difficult to tie him to the scene.

Yes in hindsight, calling the police and shadowing seems like a good idea, but with little girls tucked up in bed, the Neanderthal instinct and red mist come in to play and you don't think at all really, you just act. Well I did anyway.

They have the car and have interviewed the owner (a girl) and apparently a couple of blokes have been pulled in.

Top marks to the OB in their handling of this as they normally come in for a lot of stick.

Ironically, because I left the lap top in the car and this was taken and subsequently found in the getaway car, it linked the car to the crime. Had he simply broken in and got away, it would have been more difficult to tie him to the scene.

Yes in hindsight, calling the police and shadowing seems like a good idea, but with little girls tucked up in bed, the Neanderthal instinct and red mist come in to play and you don't think at all really, you just act. Well I did anyway.

They have the car and have interviewed the owner (a girl) and apparently a couple of blokes have been pulled in.

Top marks to the OB in their handling of this as they normally come in for a lot of stick.

Yeah it's understandable. Until it happens to them a lot of people don't realise what it is like to have someone invading their house, their private, safe area and everyone will react in different ways. I'm lucky that I've never experienced it even if I have seen the best and worst consequences of it.

If they've got a good idea of who it is and they've already pulled a couple of blokes it's looking good

Glad to hear you & family ok Johnny. seems like you may get a measure of justice if ob dot the dots, but not quite what the c*nts deserve!

had the same happen to us a few years ago. bastards used a statue from the garden to put the back door through,one evening. me & the gf had gone to bed early( ;)). i ran downstairs with a baseball bat & a machete to see two blokes legging it down the garden. gave chase over a few gardens but lost them. when plod turned up & told them about chasing them, one of them gave me a lecture for arming myself with the bat ! :x

lucky i'd forgot to mention the 4ft machete as well

They seem to be making more of an effort than when two eastern europeans snatched my old dears purse. The Officer who she spoke too commented that she should perhaps not wear so much "bling" (which I made a complaint about - FFS if a 76 year old can't wear a few rings (not ott), earimgs and a necklace in a small market town what is the world coming to? - and he had no right to say this - it's like saying to a girl who got raped "maybe you shouldn't wear such a short skirt) and he also said they would have left the town by now probably on a train to Leicester. So why didn't they use the description and get British transport police to watch the people getting off the train - there's only 1 an hour FFS. Absolutely useless.