Life of Brian

OVER THE HILL

Am I the only person who just doesn't find Monty Python funny, whatsoever? I've never watched the whole of Life of Brian but things I have seen were just crap. I not offended by it or anything like that, I just don't get why so many people think it's so amazing.

It's a parody; if you're not familiar enough with the original, you might not appreciate it that much. It's also satire; if you hold the object of their satire dear, then you'll probably be alienated by their attacks.

Anyone happen to catch BBC4's mockumentary 'Monty Python's Holy Flying Circus' the other day? Very good retelling of the events leading up to the release of 'Life of Brian' including a few very good performances.

It's up on iPlayer, it comes highly recommended.

It was absolutely brilliant. I lol'd all the way through, literally!

I thought the guys playing Michael Palin and John Cleese were absolutely spot-on. Shame none of the others really got much of a look-in.

True, though I guess they wanted to concentrate on the two were in the interview at the end and probably the two most famous ones as well.

I loved the bit about BBC4, spot on!

I am LOLing from the "bignose" bit at the beginning - "right, that's your last warning" - and don't stop from there. I'd forgotten about Palin playing the bloke hanging up in the prison cell - "a fair days work for a fair days pay" "nail some sense into em" (Basically a parody of our very own Dune). Brilliant, brilliant film, easily one of the funniest film ever made.

Edited by CB Fry

I think that the problem is that for some it is probably a tad too intellectual for them, as in addition to the obvious gags there are many more that are not as obvious e.g.the actions/inactions and inter rivalry between the PFJ, JPF, JPP, PPFJ etc is a parody of the Trade Unions of the time.

A wonderful and quite powerful satirical comedy that will be missed and/or misinterpreted by some.

Anyone happen to catch BBC4's mockumentary 'Monty Python's Holy Flying Circus' the other day? Very good retelling of the events leading up to the release of 'Life of Brian' including a few very good performances.

It's up on iPlayer, it comes highly recommended.

Worth watching alone just for that sword/light sabre fight! Oh and does anyone have a wife like Michaels?

Half of what MP did was complete and utter rubbish, but when it worked it was pure comedy gold. Life of Brian is their peak, it is funny and really clever, with some brillant performances.It hit the nail on the head, ridiculing some of the church's ridiculous beliefs.

The establishment hated it because it touches a raw nerve.

The highlights for me, were the 3 wisemen at the start, the line "He is the messiah, I should know I've followed a few in my time" and Eric Idle, who was fantastic in it.

I think Holy Grail has far more ROFL moments in it, but as said above, the way they dealt with some of the subject matter was very clever indeed.

Maybe they could re release it under the title Life of Nigel or even better Life of Nicola?

Agree but both excellent films imho.