Open Tray Error on Xbox 360

gaz

Its been slowly getting worse with the odd gaming session interrupted with ''Disk Unreadable'' meaning you have to restart the console, but the last 6 months has really gotten too much. Basically you're on the Dashboard and put a disc in the drive, it spins up and says ''Reading'', then says ''Open Tray''.

It seems to happen to certain games of mine. I thought it might be recent games as Forza 4, COD:MW2, Black Ops all are stuck with Open Tray errors, yet Fifa 11 and LA Noire are fine. COD:MW is also fine (I forgot how much fun it was!), and I borrowed a mates copy of MW2 to confirm it was the console and not my disc. With Forza 4, I managed to get the first championship done before it booted me, and I've only been able to get into the game once since then (to install CD2's data to the HDD).

I've read a lot of forums and seen the Youtube clips showing various methods to deal with the error and here's what I've figured out:

- hitting the top of the console whilst it says ''Reading''......no difference

- tilting the console whilst it says ''Reading''.....no difference

- booting without the HDD in....no difference

- clearing the cache....worked for about a week but reverted back to the error, now makes no difference when cleared

- used a DVD cleaning disc on the laser....360 wouldn't even read it (Open Tray Error).

The only thing I've seen suggested is to open the console and move the laser spindle to the centre of the disc for the starting position, however I shone a torch into the drive whilst the power was off, and the spindle was already in the centre.

Its an early Jasper 360 I believe, was an Arcade as it was a replacement for my very first Premium. Its got the BENQ/Phillips DVD drive too. Its out of warranty but I'd rather not crack it open if possible.

Any suggestions that I haven't tried yet? I'm already looking for a cheapy cheap 360 console at one of those pawn shops and may take mine in with a working game, say ''it works'' and let them test it with the working game, then go to a different branch to buy a replacement. :lol:

Edited by gaz

Gaz... Sounds like your drive has gone dude ( one of my Xboxen is similarly afflicted ).

I would just get a replacement drive. I believe MS will charge you £70 for an out-of-warranty repair.

I would not recommend getting a second-hand XBox from Cash Converters etc, for one simple reason - you run the risk of not being able to play online. MS has a habit of sending "ban orders" down the wire that take hacked 360s off the network forever. Many of these machines get traded in for cash and you may end up buying a lemon, mate.