Part time protestors

Thedelldays

So the empty tents are, in effect, large sealed bags being left unattended on the streets of London.

Might be terrorists. Best remove and distroy them...

Absolutely. Any abandoned tents should be destroyed as either:

1) An anti terror precaution.

2) A health and safety measure.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/oct/25/occupy-london-part-time-protest

Yesterday's news report that 90% of the tents lie empty at night seemed to exacerbate these prejudices. The protesters aren't just lazy, the rightwing press argued: they're too lazy to even stay there. "It's incredible," said Matthew Richardson, a Corporation of London councillor who blew the whistle on the supposedly vacant tents. "It just shows most of the demonstrators don't have the courage of their convictions and are just here to make trouble."

First, then, some myth-busting. I camped at the occupation last week. The idea that occupiers only use one in 10 tents is laughable. I couldn't put an exact number on it, but I reckon that the nights I was down there, more than three quarters were full. The camp operates a sign in/sign out procedure to keep track of vacant tents. What's more, I can't find anyone who will independently confirm where this 90% figure came from. Cllr Richardson says it was determined by police thermal imaging. But a spokesman for the Corporation of London police said he couldn't comment on operational procedure, and that the statistic hadn't come from the police. In fact, the only person who has spoken about it is Cllr Richardson himself, who later told the Guardian he hadn't heard it from official sources. The Daily Telegraph claimed their own thermal imagists had verified the rumour. Yet their video was not only shot at 12:30am (an hour before most occupiers tend to hit the sack): it also shows three separate protesters evaporating from sight when standing behind their tents – casting doubt on the accuracy of thermal imaging technology in the first place.

Come on, does anybody take these protests seriously anyway ?

They are always populated by the Charlie Gilmours of life. Rich, privelleged w*nkers who somehow feel they are enlightened compared to the proles and therefore are entitled to tell the rest of us how to live our lives.

TRIP, TRAP! TRIP, TRAP! TRIP, TRAP! TRIP, TRAP! TRIP, TRAP! TRIP, TRAP!

Went his hooves on the wooden boards. He was nearly at the middle when suddenly the enormous head of the Troll appeared from beneath the bridge.

I don't really get how this weakens their argument... it's a bit nothing to do with anything. Address their arguments if you want to defeat them.

Also, the Starbucks point is irrelevant. Most of them don't actually want to abolish capitalism, they just want to reform and change it as they believe in the current form it is broken and unfair.

I don't really get how this weakens their argument... it's a bit nothing to do with anything. Address their arguments if you want to defeat them.

Also, the Starbucks point is irrelevant. Most of them don't actually want to abolish capitalism, they just want to reform and change it as they believe in the current form it is broken and unfair.

I think part of the problem is that (as far as I have seen) they don't appear to be making much of an argument in the first place. It's all very well complaining that you don't like the current system but in hat case you need to put forward your proposed alternative.

If they have a well reasoned proposal then great but it hasn't been apparent from what I have seen/read.

I think part of the problem is that (as far as I have seen) they don't appear to be making much of an argument in the first place. It's all very well complaining that you don't like the current system but in hat case you need to put forward your proposed alternative.

If they have a well reasoned proposal then great but it hasn't been apparent from what I have seen/read.

Yep, great point. All this rebellion and crusading, none of them has a f**king clue what to replace the target of the bile and vitriol with.

Perhaps that has been a weakness. But what they want is the return of proper social democracy and fairness. Just look in the US where someone like Warren Buffet pays less of a percentage of his income as tax than an ordinary worker. They want proper regulation on the financial sector, and to tame the excesses of capitalism.

Perhaps it is time for them to move on. All they are acheiving at the moment is put the finances of St Pauls at serious risk. The longer it goes on and the worse the situation becomes for the church, the more public sentiment will turn against them.

The church could be open if it wanted to be, it's closed for other reasons in my opinion. The protesters have spoken to the London City Health Safety organisation people and they said there wasn't any risk, so make of that what you will...

Also, to be honest, this issue goes beyond a building(how magnificent that building is), and I think this is the kind of protest that wherever you are, someone will have an objection, so best just to stick it out.

The church could be open if it wanted to be, it's closed for other reasons in my opinion. The protesters have spoken to the London City Health Safety organisation people and they said there wasn't any risk, so make of that what you will...

Also, to be honest, this issue goes beyond a building(how magnificent that building is), and I think this is the kind of protest that wherever you are, someone will have an objection, so best just to stick it out.

The protesters may have spoke to the H&S brigade, but the fact remains that because of their presence, the church feels unable to open its doors to the public. Perhaps that they think that the protesters intimidate their visitors and parishioners, not in a overtly aggressive way but by their very presence.

As to just sticking it out, when you are losing £16,000 a day, you can't stick it out for very long, but hey it's just the church, no one really cares about them anyway.

The protesters may have spoke to the H&S brigade, but the fact remains that because of their presence, the church feels unable to open its doors to the public. Perhaps that they think that the protesters intimidate their visitors and parishioners, not in a overtly aggressive way but by their very presence.

As to just sticking it out, when you are losing £16,000 a day, you can't stick it out for very long, but hey it's just the church, no one really cares about them anyway.

They closed it, in my opinion, because they want them gone for political reasons... not because of health and safety! They could open their doors if they wanted to.

Edit: Also, the issues facing people up and down the country that the protesters represent are more important than St. Paul's Cathedral in my opinion.

Edited by Saintandy666

I think the church thinks they are riff raff and not the rich types they mingle with.the board of the church has the great and good .would be suprised if they really care about the poor

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

In that case, he might go up there and sort them all out....................... assault and battery, maybe?

I expect he'll surge up there tomorrow and do the rounds. As they're all in one place, TDD's punching run should be a very short circuit.

S'pose we should get back on topic - we've had ample responses.

Or we could continue with this epic pun joule, and see if anyone else is capable of making the step-up. Who knows, someone may actually run for Minister of Pun in the next General Electron. If it's a female candidate, discharging those responsibilities could transform 'er.

Or we could continue with this epic pun joule, and see if anyone else is capable of making the step-up. Who knows, someone may actually run for Minister of Pun in the next General Electron. If it's a female candidate, discharging those responsibilities could transform 'er.

And, if she makes a mistake, someone can rectifi 'er.

Can I put in a plug for myself, then?

from the punning angle I'd say that there are positives and negatives in this one, a great effort let down by some loose connections. TBF I'm feeling a little drained by the need to come up with new puns, I'm going to switch my attention to some other threads and then re-visit when I'm fully charged.

If it turns out to be a female candidate, I'd very much like to meter...!