Football Manager 2012 - updates thread

Saint_clark

My first season finished as Eastleigh!

Picked up a few random freebies which my scouts said were 5*, never worry too much in the very low leagues about specific stats as you can usually pick up youth players for nothing that'll do a job now and have the potential to work in league two or even league one sometimes.

I'd set my tactics up similar to how I had Eastleigh in my previous game for FM2011, 4-2-4, two attacking wingers style, controlling and short passing, which served me well for the preseason (gotta be happy with the draw with Saints) and the first four games of the season, but then I went into a bit of a nosedive. My teamtalks, which had been working well when everyone was happy, were failing, the fans were alienated by the loss to rivals Salisbury, and despite a mini revival in the middle of the dip, with a run of two wins and a draw, an awful team meeting managed to alienate almost the entire team and form fell again, including a morale sapping defeat to rivals Havant and Waterlooville.

Four losses later, and three wins in twelve wasn't going to be good enough. We'd dropped out of the board's minimum expectation of top half, and whispers were starting to go around wondering whether I'd be in the job much longer. A switch of tactics, adopting the longer ball that would be more effective in this league, as well as stepping back a bit so as to not leave the defense so exposed and the players not so tired towards the end of the match, combined with a team meeting which went MUCH better, and a team talk that Henry V would have been proud of, finally brought some much needed relief in the form of a 4-1 win over Farnborough.

An unbeaten run then followed which would see Eastleigh climb steadily up the league, back into the top half, and towards the playoff spots, interrupted only by a weakened team crashing out of the FA Trophy.

An unexpected loss to Tonbridge had the fans wondering if all the players' efforts would be in vain, as fears of a repeat of the previous bad run were revived, but it was only a blip before another unbeaten run that would propel Eastleigh towards the top of the table, marred only by a very poor performance against Salisbury in which we were lucky to get nil, and miraculously also kept them to nil as well.

A run of one win in four games seemed to have put paid to hopes of the title, but a win at home against table-topping Boreham Wood, followed by beating Havant in their own back yard saw Eastleigh sitting proudly atop the pile. Two further wins weren't enough to shake the chasing pack, and a run of five games without a win saw us drop down to third and out of the title fight, while Boreham Wood and Salisbury fought over top spot.

Going into the last game of the season I knew a win was vital if we were to have any chance in the playoffs we'd already secured a place in, and a surprisingly comfortable win followed. I impatiently waited for news of other results to come through, and as I heard that Boreham Wood had lost to Havant my heart sank. It looked like Salisbury would win the league. Salisbury! They were facing Weston Super Mare at home, who, while not mathematically safe, were virtually safe by goal difference.

The result came through, Salisbury - 1, Weston Super Mare - 1! I later found out that Salisbury had a man sent off, their player manager, in what would be his last game before he became a full time manager!

Mixed emotions followed, as I reflected on that late run of games without a win, we'd missed out on the title by two points.

I couldn't let that get through to the players though, as I tried to keep their minds focused forward.

The playoff semi final would be against Chelmsford, which pleased me as we had an unbeaten record against them. The first leg away from home went very smoothly indeed, none of the players seemed to be feeling any pressure at all as we comfortably won 2-0.

The second leg seemed to be going the same way, as we scored twice, including a controversial penalty (is there ever any other kind?) very deep into injury time of the first half which would later prove vital. The second half the players seemed to freeze up completely. With fifteen minutes to go they scored their first, with six minutes to go an own goal by the keeper gave them their second, and with three minutes remaining another goal gave every Eastliegh fan a mini heart attack. Every player was behind the ball for the next three minutes, before the board went up and told the players they'd have to hold out for another three. No one more relieved than me as the final whistle went, with the possible exception of our goalkeeper after conceding the own goal.

A grin spread across my face as I heard the result from the other match. It'd be against Salisbury.

The nerves would follow later, as I realised we hadn't beaten them during the season, but I couldn't let the players see that.

I tried to get them fired up with the team talk, but a nervy first half played out, until finally on the half hour mark, exciting youth prospect Andy White burst into space an curled a long range effort past the keeper to send the fans wild. We held on until half time. Unsure of how to handle the team talk, I tried to guard them against complacency, but it failed as just four minutes in, an equaliser came. To their credit, the player's heads didn't drop, and an end to end contest followed. With fifteen minutes to go, I brought on two subs as the players were starting to look out on their feet. With just two minutes remaining, and just as I was thinking of extra time and even the dreaded penalty shootout, Salisbury earned a free kick in a dangerous position and I tried not to let the concern show on my face as I wondered if an entire season would be wasted in an instant, but I needn't have worried as the keeper got underneath it and safely caught it. All the players spurred themselves to one last effort and pushed themselves forward. Some neat passing up the left wing worked the winger onto the byline, and from his cross he earned a corner. As it was swung in, veteran defender Tom Jordan fought his way through two defenders to get on the end of it and power a header into the bottom corner to send the fans into dreamland. I immediately told every player to stay behind the ball, and made my last sub to waste some time, but it was scarcely needed as the final whistle went and we'd done it!

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/648743808096103563/EEE0853565D7AF129C498E3C8DF27EFEBDA9BA35/

No-one remembers much of the celebrations that followed, especially the chairman, who swears he doesn't remember signing off the plans for a new 5k capacity stadium, especially considering the average attendance of 574 we had

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/648743808096102857/F974B3D96DD478889108782D53D91F14C9BF0A31/

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/648743808093129652/0ED023DA807B8766E25E4E2E63BB3442BEABF0F1/

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/648743808093128245/C1E9DB6341887748F002DDFB48DA1D666E9047B5/

Played using 'hardcore' rules. ie. NO reloading if I don't like a result as well as not using downloaded tactics, or the annual 'corner' trick.

Will try and play this without using the 'cheat'. Helpful hints on good management always welcome chaps!

Use this for team talks:

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2011-tactics-training/29092-woifsongs-teamtalk-guide.html

Read the summary here for which attributes to look for when buying players:

http://www.mantralux.com/2010/11/player-attributes-explained/

That ought to help you out.

Just got to the Prem after winning the league, Quintero league's top scorer and Lallana player of the season

Kyle Walker and Lee Wallace from Spurs and Rangers respectively to come in at right and left back, bit worried about my strength in depth though very pleased to get Yaya Sanogo on a free transfer!

Anyone else finding that this game is terribly slow at times? The match engine works like a dream for me, processing fixtures is incredibly quick, but simple stuff like saving notes and going from one news item to another takes a good while sometimes. I can click on 'attend' to go to a press conference and be kept waiting up to 30 seconds to start the questions for example. Not very impressed by that and I don't think it's my MacBook...

No problems like that for me. Runs faster than any other version before it for me.

Hmm. Might have to look into this.

In other news, I've got a logo pack and it feels sooo good to have them in the game. Just have to wait for a decent kit pack.

Oh and moooore news. I'm second in Scots division two, won 24 games in a row from last season, horrific 5 - 1 reverse at home ended that. Lost 1 - 0 in the 93rd minute to Kilmarnock in the League Cup too. Going to get Berwick into the first division for the first time in about forty years, seems a nice challenge.

I found out why the game was occasionally lagging a bit. Despite the fact I'd gone to offline mode in Steam(ing pile of ****) there was still a setting activated that was collating data from my game and that was running it down. Turned off now, big improvement.

My Berwick team have lost two in three now and we've just gone second in the second division table. I've been linked with Nottingham Forest who have just sacked Sam Allardyce, but I think I'll go abroad, perhaps to a Scandinavian nation, as I've never managed there. Got to love the option to add leagues.

Anyone else finding that this game is terribly slow at times? The match engine works like a dream for me, processing fixtures is incredibly quick, but simple stuff like saving notes and going from one news item to another takes a good while sometimes. I can click on 'attend' to go to a press conference and be kept waiting up to 30 seconds to start the questions for example. Not very impressed by that and I don't think it's my MacBook...

SLOW!!! I can't even get the flipping game to load, it keeps coming up with an error code, which in turn, will not let me in to see what the ferk is wrong. Sorry MLG, but doing this through steam is a ia computer illiterates nightmare!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I found out why the game was occasionally lagging a bit. Despite the fact I'd gone to offline mode in Steam(ing pile of ****) there was still a setting activated that was collating data from my game and that was running it down. Turned off now, big improvement.

My Berwick team have lost two in three now and we've just gone second in the second division table. I've been linked with Nottingham Forest who have just sacked Sam Allardyce, but I think I'll go abroad, perhaps to a Scandinavian nation, as I've never managed there. Got to love the option to add leagues.

May I recommend that you manage my Swedish team - Malmo. They have a very good team, some quality players (including Daniel Larsson, quick as f*ck) and play in Europe. Good way to build up your rep. If you can get the job that is.

SLOW!!! I can't even get the flipping game to load, it keeps coming up with an error code, which in turn, will not let me in to see what the ferk is wrong. Sorry MLG, but doing this through steam is a ia computer illiterates nightmare!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Try disabling your antivirus and see if it runs then.

What players dud you buy season 1 + 2 ?? Any chance you could post the players in on here?

I'm not too bad at this game.

AdFI0wXCAAA6h2t.jpg:large

As a result...

AdFIeWrCEAE-xp-.jpg:large

I've just got Berwick into the Scottish Cup semi-finals too and got a great draw, Falkirk, as opposed to Rangers or Celtic. I beat Falkirk last season 3 - 1, so I could well be in the final! Top by nine points too, so promotion soon.

May I recommend that you manage my Swedish team - Malmo. They have a very good team, some quality players (including Daniel Larsson, quick as f*ck) and play in Europe. Good way to build up your rep. If you can get the job that is.

Spent yesterday afternoon, part of last night, two hours today, and no closer to getting this game up and running. I have created a new account under a new e-mail address, Ferk! I even took the game back to Tesco's, and changed it, defragged, still won't work. Totally p1ssed off now!!!

Error message as follows:-

C:\Users\User\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2012\Crash Dumps\FM 2012 v 12.0.3.231651 (2011.10.31 14.12.09).dmp

:?:x:x

Spent yesterday afternoon, part of last night, two hours today, and no closer to getting this game up and running. I have created a new account under a new e-mail address, Ferk! I even took the game back to Tesco's, and changed it, defragged, still won't work. Totally p1ssed off now!!!

Error message as follows:-

C:\Users\User\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2012\Crash Dumps\FM 2012 v 12.0.3.231651 (2011.10.31 14.12.09).dmp

:?:x:x

- Open Steam

- Click on 'Library'

- On the left side of the screen will be a menu of games that have been activated through Steam

- Right click on Football Manager 2012

- Select 'Properties' from the drop-down menu

- Click on 'Local Files'

- Then click on 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache'

- Steam will then run through the game files and replace anything which is corrupted, the game ought to run properly then, it'll definitely sort out the crash dumps problem.

What players dud you buy season 1 + 2 ?? Any chance you could post the players in on here?

I'll do a screenshot of my transfer screen later.

At the moment, I'm so frustrated by how slow the game is moving from menu to menu, I'm looking for a solution. It takes up to a minute to save a note and about 30 seconds to move from news item to news item, I've had enough now but the bugs forum on SI has crashed, how ironic...

I've just won the division though so that's reduced my frustration levels!

- Open Steam

- Click on 'Library'

- On the left side of the screen will be a menu of games that have been activated through Steam

- Right click on Football Manager 2012

- Select 'Properties' from the drop-down menu

- Click on 'Local Files'

- Then click on 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache'

- Steam will then run through the game files and replace anything which is corrupted, the game ought to run properly then, it'll definitely sort out the crash dumps problem.

Thanks for the advice, but still showing the same message. I have just checked for updates, checked my version of Direct X, ran out of ideas ages ago. I might try the 'flying laptop' trick, see if that helps.............grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Edited by Gingeletiss

Anyone know how to check how many players are in your game? I can't see it anywhere. The guy on the SI forums helping me with my loading issue wants to know. It's just taken me two minutes to click on save note and get back to my inbox. I can't carry on like that.

How many leagues/countries did you load at the start?

You can now remove leagues/countries in FM12.

Though tbh it sounds more like a problem with your computer rather than the game.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Finally acquired a copy.

Match day looks better.

First game v Arsenal reserves was a comfy 4-1 win.

Just signed one player so far - Esteban Paredes. Looks decent enough for the championship. Think a centreback or GK wont go amiss either.

Chaplow..12 stamina and 9 strength lol

Still trying to resolve the sluggish speed issues, however, I played the Scottish cup semi-final and lost in the last minute 2 - 1. Falkirk went on to get hammered 4 - 1 in the final anyway.

For maddog, here are my transfers in the first season. Bear in mind these are players for a Scottish third division side aiming for a midtable finish...

439059958.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1320164380&Signature=Wip3Yth1GpGWYwKmRC4JIBR4JBo%3D

Can't recommend this guy highly enough, stats aren't great but check out his history...

439061081.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1320164481&Signature=kgeZeBUt1rHovT5DKhuSErOr%2Bh4%3D

439060648.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1320164440&Signature=QwaROGpsFJCkO58tg41hKvoXC1M%3D

Reaffirms my belief that the tactics matter more than the players. Get that right and you're laughing. I've only ever used one formation, here's the story of my success with it over the past 50 games. Ignore the 4-4-2 thing, that was my assistant manager taking charge of a pre-season friendly for me.

439063395.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1320164698&Signature=ybHMwD1P95TWEJ8tGA%2FcAQaQ9aE%3D

Pictures missing, thanks for the update though. I always play LLM im hardly ever saints or prem teams as its to easy. Love building a club from nothing etc. Can you repost the list and your formation, i usually play a 4-3-3 formation as i like to attack.

Still trying to resolve the sluggish speed issues, however, I played the Scottish cup semi-final and lost in the last minute 2 - 1. Falkirk went on to get hammered 4 - 1 in the final anyway.

For maddog, here are my transfers in the first season. Bear in mind these are players for a Scottish third division side aiming for a midtable finish...

439059958.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1320164380&Signature=Wip3Yth1GpGWYwKmRC4JIBR4JBo%3D

Can't recommend this guy highly enough, stats aren't great but check out his history...

439061081.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1320164481&Signature=kgeZeBUt1rHovT5DKhuSErOr%2Bh4%3D

439060648.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1320164440&Signature=QwaROGpsFJCkO58tg41hKvoXC1M%3D

Reaffirms my belief that the tactics matter more than the players. Get that right and you're laughing. I've only ever used one formation, here's the story of my success with it over the past 50 games. Ignore the 4-4-2 thing, that was my assistant manager taking charge of a pre-season friendly for me.

439063395.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1320164698&Signature=ybHMwD1P95TWEJ8tGA%2FcAQaQ9aE%3D

Got hold of this yesterday.

Gone and chucked myself in at the deep end and took over at Plymouth as 'Sunday League Footballer' reputation. Over £7 Million in debt, £0 in the transfer kitty, only another £3,000 p/week to play with on the wage budget and a shocking squad... I am in for a struggle and to help me out even further, Morale of every player - 'Abysmal'.

I had to try and move on the highest earners in Bhasera and Larreua (or whatever his name is, the keeper) and guess what...? Everyone spat there dummy at me and went to the papers about me, despite me saying it was because the club was desperate for the money.

It's tough, that's for sure.

Finished my first season last night. No reloading, and a respectable first in the Champ with around six points to spare.

There is a lot to like in this release, but there is also a lot to fix. I'm actually considering waiting for the next patch, which is par for the course these days. I expect it is worse in a game like FM because some of the sheer volume of variables and choice involved. Must be really difficult to QA.

Finished my first season last night. No reloading, and a respectable first in the Champ with around six points to spare.

There is a lot to like in this release, but there is also a lot to fix. I'm actually considering waiting for the next patch, which is par for the course these days. I expect it is worse in a game like FM because some of the sheer volume of variables and choice involved. Must be really difficult to QA.

What have you found that needs fixing? I've not noticed it being immensely buggy thus far (particularly in comparison to previous editions). Also, afaik the QA team is pretty small (20 people max).

Pictures missing, thanks for the update though. I always play LLM im hardly ever saints or prem teams as its to easy. Love building a club from nothing etc. Can you repost the list and your formation, i usually play a 4-3-3 formation as i like to attack.

Sorry about that, bloody TwitPic.

Success rate with my 4-3-3

screenshot20111101at160.png

Transfers in my first season

Jamil Adam

Jamil's scoring record

What have you found that needs fixing? I've not noticed it being immensely buggy thus far (particularly in comparison to previous editions). Also, afaik the QA team is pretty small (20 people max).

I set a scout to look at the English Reserves league. Went to click on 'Reports', and while the name information was there, nothing else (club, position, etc) could be seen.

During some of the press conferences, I've been quizzed about players who were reportedly just injured that were actually in full health.

The 'Team Meeting' feature seems to be hit and miss - ended up royally p*ssing off my side for a couple of comments.

Players moaning about wanting to leave the club, but going absolutely apesh*t when you offer them mutual termination.

Scouts basically reaching a limit of players that they can find, and finding no-one else ( even though there are plenty of other players they haven't looked at ).

Gonna have to check him out. I got desperate with nobody wanting to come to me (Plymouth) and ended up for some insane reason signing Stern John on £1,000 a week that I can't afford. Needless to say, he is SH*T!

He really is good. If people are interested I might make my tactic available. It's based on a well known one from the SI forums.

Show me the light...

Here you go. It's a 4-3-3 with a playmaker on the left of a three man midfield. There are some instructions to go with this, but it's pretty simple.

Wimbledon 2017 - 2018

After 15 minutes of a match, take the 'time wasting' slider down by three clicks. If you're not winning by 30 minutes, take it down another three clicks. If you then take the lead, take it back up by three clicks. Whatever the score, reset at half time.

After half time, on 60 minutes, whatever the score, take it back down by three clicks. If by 75 minutes you're not winning, take it down by three clicks - as in the first half, if you then take the lead, back up by three clicks.

I use it for home and away - on FM11 I took Wimbledon from the Conference to the Champions League in about ten years, I've currently got Berwick Rangers second in the Scots first division with it as well.

Make sure when you look for players you have good stats in:

Concentration

Determination

Team Work

Work Rate

Technique

Anticipation

Creativity

Decisions

For example, in the Scots third division, I only signed players who had at least a 5 in all of these. With Wimbledon when in the Champions League, they had to be at a minimum of 15.

Here you go. It's a 4-3-3 with a playmaker on the left of a three man midfield. There are some instructions to go with this, but it's pretty simple.

Wimbledon 2017 - 2018

After 15 minutes of a match, take the 'time wasting' slider down by three clicks. If you're not winning by 30 minutes, take it down another three clicks. If you then take the lead, take it back up by three clicks. Whatever the score, reset at half time.

After half time, on 60 minutes, whatever the score, take it back down by three clicks. If by 75 minutes you're not winning, take it down by three clicks - as in the first half, if you then take the lead, back up by three clicks.

I use it for home and away - on FM11 I took Wimbledon from the Conference to the Champions League in about ten years, I've currently got Berwick Rangers second in the Scots first division with it as well.

Make sure when you look for players you have good stats in:

Concentration

Determination

Team Work

Work Rate

Technique

Anticipation

Creativity

Decisions

For example, in the Scots third division, I only signed players who had at least a 5 in all of these. With Wimbledon when in the Champions League, they had to be at a minimum of 15.

Being on such a good run of form, I thought I would gave it a bash at home to Bradford...

plymuff.png