Dry Ice and asthma

Thorpe-le-Saint

Afternoon,

Being quite a common illness I thought some members of the forum may be able to help with this: I'm buying a smoke machine to use in the classroom for their WW1/WW2 lessons and need to find out if dry ice can have a negative affect on asthma. Anyone have any experience with this?

Cheers.

I think smoke machines as such don't use dry ice. They're different from dry ice machines. Smoke from a machine will rise and fill the whole room. Dry ice will 'float' just above the floor.

Am not an expert but I'd have thought any smoke machine would be a potential problem for asthma. Dry ice however, in theory, ought to be ok, since it is only carbon dioxide, BUT many asthmatics find attacks can be brought on by sudden changes in the temperature of the air they are breathing, and of course dry ice is cold ... which is why it doesn't rise. So frankly I'd tread pretty carefully, and make sure parents are aware in advance. Your school overall health & safety bod will presumably respond to your risk assessment ...make sure you cover your back!

I think smoke machines as such don't use dry ice. They're different from dry ice machines. Smoke from a machine will rise and fill the whole room. Dry ice will 'float' just above the floor.

Am not an expert but I'd have thought any smoke machine would be a potential problem for asthma. Dry ice however, in theory, ought to be ok, since it is only carbon dioxide, BUT many asthmatics find attacks can be brought on by sudden changes in the temperature of the air they are breathing, and of course dry ice is cold ... which is why it doesn't rise. So frankly I'd tread pretty carefully, and make sure parents are aware in advance. Your school overall health & safety bod will presumably respond to your risk assessment ...make sure you cover your back!

I obviously won't use it before the RA is completed, but if I'm honest, telling the parents of it beforehand will take some of the edge of it's effect. Needs much etc.

I obviously won't use it before the RA is completed, but if I'm honest, telling the parents of it beforehand will take some of the edge of it's effect. Needs much etc.

These people claim to be the biggest suppliers on the planet and say there arent any irritave effects, especially if you use an oil based system - but you have to use the right compound for the machine (ie dont buy generic stuff) .

http://www.smokemachines.net/faqs.shtml

Edited by buctootim

Afternoon,

Being quite a common illness I thought some members of the forum may be able to help with this: I'm buying a smoke machine to use in the classroom for their WW1/WW2 lessons and need to find out if dry ice can have a negative affect on asthma. Anyone have any experience with this?

Cheers.

No. I have asthma and Bronchiectasis (so in other words my lungs are boll*cks) and I'm fine with dry ice.

I used to run a mobile Pulsar unit "laser tag" I used a smoke machine to enhance the lasers. I never had a problem with asthma.

I got a new machine and the fluid from a shop in Portswood, they even do a tropical flavor of smoke.

I seem to remember we set the fire alams off at the Guards barracks in London one night or was it the HAC anyway that and the guy who had a heart attack .

So check as most public buildings schools etc have very sensitive smoke detectors.