it pays to be a stowawy

Viking Warrior

The courts need to toughen up, they are far too soft. conficted of more than 20 offences.

An illegal immigrant has been awarded £17,360 at the High Court for being wrongly imprisoned.

Joseph Mjemer, who arrived in the UK as a stowaway in 2003, was held by Home Office officials as they tried to establish his country of origin.

Judge Stephen Stewart QC concluded he should be freed and paid damages by the Home Office for loss of liberty.

Mr Mjemer, 28, was convicted of more than 20 offences in the three years following his arrival in Britain.

The High Court in London heard Mr Mjemer arrived in the UK on a ship in 2003 and claimed asylum.

Over the following three years, he was convicted of offences including property damage, dangerous driving and attempting to obtain property by deception.

He was jailed a number of times before being taken into "administrative custody" in 2007 because officials feared he would abscond if freed while officials tried to establish where he came from.

Right Im off to get my tent and camp in thew grounds of Winchester Cathedral . If the bish trys to move me I will claim victimization and get a minimum of £5K

and if you don't know which country they are from and they won't tell you?

Would have thought that in 99.999% occasions the individual would know where they are from. And perhaps intentionally witholding this information should be made an offence (a sort of contempt of court issue and send them away until they cough up).

I have no problem with those claiming refugee status, or claiming asylum, but it needs to done correctly. Those trying to dodge the system actually undermine those who have a genuine case.