Rhodesia's Forgotten Children

dune

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00zp6n9/Zimbabwes_Forgotten_Children_Update/

A very sad story. Rhodesia was the bread basket of Africa under the great Ian Smith, but the Liberal Elite got their way and now the children starve.:(

There doesn't seem to be a programme listed as "Rhodesia's forgotten children"?

I think you're partly right though as didn't Zimbabwe gain official independence in 1980? I think it was that well known Liberal Thatcher who was PM then so once again, your historical knowledge/research knows no bounds. Let us not forget the Liberal Smith also that partly oversaw the transition of power between 1979-1980. Sterling work dunce, serling work.

There doesn't seem to be a programme listed as "Rhodesia's forgotten children"?

I think you're partly right though as didn't Zimbabwe gain official independence in 1980? I think it was that well known Liberal Thatcher who was PM then so once again, your historical knowledge/research knows no bounds. Let us not forget the Liberal Smith also that partly oversaw the transition of power between 1979-1980. Sterling work dunce, serling work.

Watch the video you div. And it was that idiot Wilson that indirectly put all these children into graves. You talk so much sh/t TLS. You are utterly clueless and you're supposed to be a teacher.

Edited by dune

Watch the video you div. And it was that idiot Wilson that indirectly put all these children into graves.

By the same token you could say it was that "idiot" Ian Smith who did so - as he implemented the political system that led to the rise of the black 'resistance' movement, and ultimately to Mugabe's obscene regime gaining power. That is where the blame lies.

under the great Ian Smith,

That will be the great Ian Smith who attempted to use Rememberance Sunday as a cheap publicity stunt for his apartheid regime. The great Ian Smith who forced the United Nations to enforce economic sanctions for the first time. And of course the great Ian Smith who effectively committed treason against this great country of ours.

This great man and his delusional call for UNI sowed the seeds for the bitterness, turmoil and vacuum that allowed despots like Mugabe to flourish.

As the Telegraph noted in his obituary, Smith "was the co-author of Zimbabwe's tragedy".

By the same token you could say it was that "idiot" Ian Smith who did so - as he implemented the political system that led to the rise of the black 'resistance' movement, and ultimately to Mugabe's obscene regime gaining power. That is where the blame lies.

The USSR were behind the whole 'black rule' thing with their arming of terrorists. The country wasn't ready for black rule, it needed a gradual transition and this is what Ian Smith wanted to do. If you watch the video you see poor families in the countryside that were well fed and had a decent standard of living when they worked on white farms, but now they are literally starving and cannot afford to send their children to school.

That will be the great Ian Smith who attempted to use Rememberance Sunday as a cheap publicity stunt for his apartheid regime. The great Ian Smith who forced the United Nations to enforce economic sanctions for the first time. And of course the great Ian Smith who effectively committed treason against this great country of ours.

This great man and his delusional call for UNI sowed the seeds for the bitterness, turmoil and vacuum that allowed despots like Mugabe to flourish.

As the Telegraph noted in his obituary, Smith "was the co-author of Zimbabwe's tragedy".

Here! Here!

Smith was not a liberal. He disliked blacks, ran an apartheid division in the country which basically meant that a relative handful of white immigrants (the sort Dune dislikes so much!) were able to mop up most of the most fertile land whilst the indigenous blacks were kept disenfranchised. So what if he 'fed the children'. The system was awful. Mugabe is a horrible fat thug, for sure, but the land certainly needed to be divided more fairly. Even if his methods were wrong.

But trying to brand Ian Smith as a wholesome, righteous man is like being a holocaust revisionist.

Here! Here!

Smith was not a liberal. He disliked blacks, ran an apartheid division in the country which basically meant that a relative handful of white immigrants (the sort Dune dislikes so much!) were able to mop up most of the most fertile land whilst the indigenous blacks were kept disenfranchised. So what if he 'fed the children'. The system was awful. Mugabe is a horrible fat thug, for sure, but the land certainly needed to be divided more fairly. Even if his methods were wrong.

But trying to brand Ian Smith as a wholesome, righteous man is like being a holocaust revisionist.

You are clueless. The land the whites settled on after 1890 was barren wasteland that the blacks didn't farm. The blacks preferred light sandy soil that their primitive tools could dig, wheras the whites preffered hard soil that was better for modern ploughs.

Good article in the Mail for those who have the brains to recognise the truth.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-495327/Ian-Smith-defiant-leader-Rhodesia-15-turbulent-years-dies-aged-88.html

Anybody with 'the brains', in seeking the truth, certainly wouldn't choose to loook in that particular publication. In, along with most of the press, has it's own agenda - which it the case of The Mail generally seems to support your point of view. in which everything is "swart en wit".

Anybody with 'the brains', in seeking the truth, certainly wouldn't choose to loook in that particular publication.

A rather obvious point lost on Dune, but that said that piece in the Daily Heil was equally critical of Smith, calling him and Mugabe two sides of the same problem, a view shared by most.

When push came to shove Smith showed no loyalty or respect to my country and went against Governements of both blue and red leanings, as well as the establishment, monarchy and wider population.

He was no friend if the UK and ultimately a disaster for the country he presided over.

A rather obvious point lost on Dune, but that said that piece in the Daily Heil was equally critical of Smith, calling him and Mugabe two sides of the same problem, a view shared by most.

When push came to shove Smith showed no loyalty or respect to my country and went against Governements of both blue and red leanings, as well as the establishment, monarchy and wider population.

He was no friend if the UK and ultimately a disaster for the country he presided over.

He was no friend of the UK? That's why he served in the RAF with distinction during WW2 and was greatly admired by our Queen. He was however no friend of left wingers and that's a good thing.

You're as clueless on this as you were in thinking Saints fans wanted a fan on the board.

Watch the video you div. And it was that idiot Wilson that indirectly put all these children into graves. You talk so much sh/t TLS. You are utterly clueless and you're supposed to be a teacher.

Calm down dear, I don't have time to watch this documentary this evening: maybe I will on my strike day?

I know it is a Wiki artcile, but what you gonna do? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodesia#Independence

"Bishop Muzorewa's government did not receive international recognition. The Bush War continued unabated and sanctions were not lifted. The international community refused to accept the validity of any agreement which did not incorporate the main nationalist parties. The British Government (then led by the recently elected Margaret Thatcher) issued invitations to all parties to attend a peace conference at Lancaster House. These negotiations took place in London in late 1979. The three-month-long conference almost failed to reach conclusion, due to disagreements on land reform, but resulted in the Lancaster House Agreement. UDI ended, and Rhodesia reverted to the status of a British colony ('The British Dependency of Southern Rhodesia'). The outcome was an internationally supervised general election in early 1980"

Smith declared Zimbabwe independent in 1965 which was under Wilson, but it was under Thatcher's government that they became 'Zimbabwe'...are you sure you're not getting confused?

The problem is dunce, you read too much biased literature on the subject and you will never take my Masters degree away from me and I will sleep soundly in the knowledge that I know more than you.

He was no friend of the UK? That's why he served in the RAF with distinction during WW2 and was greatly admired by our Queen. He was however no friend of left wingers and that's a good thing.

You're as clueless on this as you were in thinking Saints fans wanted a fan on the board.

He decarled UDI on November 11th at 11am, what a guy.

The Government's policy of "no independence before majority rule" was a sensible one. Smith's government as a 'European' party was in the minority and opposed the policy: He is the one responsible for the catatroshpic breakdown in UK/'Rhodesian' relations. It is no surprise you are thick when you read and believe an autobiography of someone so deluded and self-centred.

Even his service during WWII was borne more out of stopping Nazi expansion from their existing African colonies which threatened "Britain's" colonies. His first loyalty was to his own country, namely Rhodesia/Zimbabwe and when push come to shove his true colours were to be seen flying high above the House of Assembly.

Anyone who commits treason against my country, defies various Governments of the time and then is an accessory to the destruction of their own country is not a great leader in my book

(now had he had a citizen on the board, he might have been shown the light).

Calm down dear, I don't have time to watch this documentary this evening: maybe I will on my strike day?

I know it is a Wiki artcile, but what you gonna do? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodesia#Independence

"Bishop Muzorewa's government did not receive international recognition. The Bush War continued unabated and sanctions were not lifted. The international community refused to accept the validity of any agreement which did not incorporate the main nationalist parties. The British Government (then led by the recently elected Margaret Thatcher) issued invitations to all parties to attend a peace conference at Lancaster House. These negotiations took place in London in late 1979. The three-month-long conference almost failed to reach conclusion, due to disagreements on land reform, but resulted in the Lancaster House Agreement. UDI ended, and Rhodesia reverted to the status of a British colony ('The British Dependency of Southern Rhodesia'). The outcome was an internationally supervised general election in early 1980"

Smith declared Zimbabwe independent in 1965 which was under Wilson, but it was under Thatcher's government that they became 'Zimbabwe'...are you sure you're not getting confused?

The problem is dunce, you read too much biased literature on the subject and you will never take my Masters degree away from me and I will sleep soundly in the knowledge that I know more than you.

You know nothing of the sort thorpe le mong.

You are clueless. The land the whites settled on after 1890 was barren wasteland that the blacks didn't farm. The blacks preferred light sandy soil that their primitive tools could dig, wheras the whites preffered hard soil that was better for modern ploughs.

Not Dune my darling, not clueless! Herders, herding suddenly weren't allowed to herd on the white's land.

Please, don't try to suggest the immigrants (you know, the sort of people you keep banging on about) never interrupted or evicted the indigenous blacks. That really won't wash. It is just not true.

Where does your fetish with Smith and Zimbabwe come from anyway?

Oh dear. Isn't it time for your milkybar yet?

How is that HND (or whatever micky mouse academic qualification you have) working out for you these days?

How is your control of your classes going now after your problems?

How is your control of your classes going now after your problems?

Oh you mean the one kid who swore at me? Well considering I've been rated as 'Outstanding' by OFSTED, been made a department second at the age of 25 and added on the 'School Improvement Group' I would say I'm doing alright. How is life on the dole? I would feel sorry for you as I know it is tough out there, but you voted for the Tories so you only have yourself to blame.

Anyway, when you resort to this sort of thing we all know you've lost, so I'll leave you to have your milkybar before bed time. Make sure you clean your teeth though...actually, you'll get some sort of discount though won't you on jobseekers?

Not Dune my darling, not clueless! Herders, herding suddenly weren't allowed to herd on the white's land.

Please, don't try to suggest the immigrants (you know, the sort of people you keep banging on about) never interrupted or evicted the indigenous blacks. That really won't wash. It is just not true.

Where does your fetish with Smith and Zimbabwe come from anyway?

Don't you believe it, the natives were begging to be subjugated by the whites and have their land stolen from them. It's true, I seen it on yoo-toobe.

Oh you mean the one kid who swore at me? Well considering I've been rated as 'Outstanding' by OFSTED, been made a department second at the age of 25 and added on the 'School Improvement Group' I would say I'm doing alright. How is life on the dole? I would feel sorry for you as I know it is tough out there, but you voted for the Tories so you only have yourself to blame.

Anyway, when you resort to this sort of thing we all know you've lost, so I'll leave you to have your milkybar before bed time. Make sure you clean your teeth though...actually, you'll get some sort of discount though won't you on jobseekers?

Erm wasn't it you who resorted to childish comments about Milky bars and HND's before I brought up the subject of your pupils swearing at you. I felt sorry for you at the time.

:lol::lol::lol:

Thats the most interesting description of Matabeleland I've ever heard. Matabeleland was a strong well organised kingdom (if rather agressive with it's neighbours). Sadly for the Matabele gold was discovered on the land hence the need for Rhodes to have them machine gunned.

When the idiot wilson snubbed him from the royal garden party, she personally intervened.

And she also intervened at the Commonwealth Conference in Lusaka in 1979 overuling Thatcher who wanted to accept Smith's compromise settlement, instead insisting on a one man one vote solution.

Whilst her mother had some sympathy for Smith (a legacy of the Empire Days), the current Queen did not share such imperial nostalgia.

Smith and Mugabe, two tyrants who destroyed a country.

Edited by um pahars

but the Liberal Elite got their way and now the children starve.:(

"The problem of Rhodesia has hung over the Commonwealth for many years. The present trouble began in 1965 when the Rhodesian government made the illegal declaration of independence.

This was followed by years in which the efforts of successive British governments to achieve a settlement based on the wishes of a majority of the people of Rhodesia were frustrated, years in which the political rights of the majority were denied."

The words of that lilly livered Liberal, Margaret Thatcher.

"The problem of Rhodesia has hung over the Commonwealth for many years. The present trouble began in 1965 when the Rhodesian government made the illegal declaration of independence.

This was followed by years in which the efforts of successive British governments to achieve a settlement based on the wishes of a majority of the people of Rhodesia were frustrated, years in which the political rights of the majority were denied."

The words of that lilly livered Liberal, Margaret Thatcher.

The commie *****.

Elitist teacher dumbs down HND and equivilent qualifications as Mickey Mouse qualifications Shocker.

I have an HND but I also have a masters (A product of Leicester University)

I must admit, was a little shocked to see the dissing of the HND.