Glasgow

Thedelldays

Brilliant city

I love going here. Anyone else been.?

yes, as a 12 yr old on a school trip,when the garden festival was on in the 90's (?)

1st night there we went to the cinema. we were hounded by homeless drunks on the way, a lad was punched in the toilets and on the way back to the youth hostel the local junkies tried robbing us. we then had the lovely view of the junkies & drunks fighting/shooting up/puking/passing out in the park opposite the hostel for the rest of the evening.

other than that it was fine ;)

Used to go out with a Glaswegian and got into a row with her dad on New Years eve when he started to sing a song about Bannockburn and so I made one up about Culloden.

As a city tts a bit of a **** hole but a lot of character. Agree with Dune about Liverpool though.

Spent 4 years there doing my PhD and still have the partick thistle (best non-partisan team in Glasgow) scarf to prove it. Like any city it has it good area's and it bad area's. As long as you play nice with the local's its a good place, almost miss being called 'big man'* by inebriated scotsmen.

(* for height obviously!!)

Spent 4 years there doing my PhD and still have the partick thistle (best non-partisan team in Glasgow) scarf to prove it. Like any city it has it good area's and it bad area's. As long as you play nice with the local's its a good place, almost miss being called 'big man'* by inebriated scotsmen.

(* for height obviously!!)

Seems like I am not the only Jags fan on this board then !

I was born in Glasgow but have never actually lived there, have had some great visits over the years although it's mainly funerals these days :)

Seems like I am not the only Jags fan on this board then !

I was told when I first went to see them that if they won at home they play Cliff Richard singing Congratulations over the PA. Took about 8 matches before I was able to confirm it!

There's a pub at the top of Firhill road with a parrot on a perch in the bar !

A guy went in and asked how the Thistle had got on that day and the parrot immediately answered "shame, they lost 2-0" !

The guy says to the barman "that's amazing, what does the parrot say when they win" ?

The barman replies " I dunno, I've only been here for 2 years" !

(the old ones are the best!).

I took 2 ships out of build from Yarrows, so lived in Glasow twice for about 6 months each time. To be honest had a good time there, but dont think I will ever bother returning there again. I shall, however, be taking the wife to Edinburgh somewhen (as she wants to visit Scotland).

I agree with Dune re Liverpool.

Galsgow is the only place I know that has a road with the outside lane being the off slip road. It's a nightmare to drive through if you aren't a local. You merrily drive along in the outside lane, find yourself about to go off when you don't want to, then the locals try very hard to stop you coming back into the middle lane. Seems to be the local sport!

Galsgow is the only place I know that has a road with the outside lane being the off slip road. It's a nightmare to drive through if you aren't a local. You merrily drive along in the outside lane, find yourself about to go off when you don't want to, then the locals try very hard to stop you coming back into the middle lane. Seems to be the local sport!

They have a few challenges for pedestrians as well

Bridge_to_nowhere_-_geograph.org.uk_-_997652.jpg

Lived here for 2 and a half years now - it’s ok, certainly seen and visited worse cities!

Does it feel like you're in san fran? Couldn't quite believe how identical one part of glasgow is. I mentioned it to my taxi driver and he explained that a film has been made there recently pretending it is san francisco. Even the signs are in the same style in the area...pretty cool.

I hated Glasgow and enjoyed Edinburgh. I wasn't in Glasgow for long though, although I did witness a protestant march through the city, which was preceded by chavs in Rangers tops banging on all the windows as they ran down the street. Edinburgh's a tourist town though, while Glasgow's just another big city.

Does it feel like you're in san fran? Couldn't quite believe how identical one part of glasgow is. I mentioned it to my taxi driver and he explained that a film has been made there recently pretending it is san francisco. Even the signs are in the same style in the area...pretty cool.

New zombie movie starring Brad Pitt was filmed here recently and Tom Hanks and Halle Berry also filmed Cloud Atlas here recently.

The city centre is more attractive than many many cities I have visited - its the outskirts that bring it down.

I live city centre and apart from the weather you cant beat it. Plus golf courses everywhere! Cheap membership too

• 1 year later...

Just back from Glasgow today. First visit to Scotland actually. Was taking Juvenile Unit #1 to view the Uni there along with two of her mates. They were all smitten with the Uni. I left them to it and walked two miles into town, checking emails in various cafes, so I got to see a fair bit of it. Had a lot of time to kill as well, so got some time to take it in. A few hours is never enough to come to any sort of conclusion on a city, but its better than nowt.

I quite like it as a potential destination for Juvenile Unit #1, as they apparently have an affinity with scousers. Large agreement with Glasgow_Saint, a couple of obvious monstrosities aside, it really is a beautiful city centre.

Edited by pap