Flat Pack FFS!!

Dr Who?

Right, I have no problem with constructing flat pack stuff, tables, chairs, bunk beds...and so on. But when it comes to Wardrobes and putting the doors on they never hang straight, and never close together. Is there a trick to this as they nearly went through the cocking window without me opening it earlier!!!

Ditto.

Ikea is carp of the worst quality. Save your money, spend a bit more and cherish it so that you pass it on to your children when you are gone. No one will ever pass on a piece of Ikea flat-pack ****.

Same with everything. Buy quality to last. In the long run it will pay off in spades.

The adjustment is in the hinges. They normally have 2 screws. 1 fixes the hinge onto the cabinet, the other one adjusts the door position. The adjustment one is usually threaded all the way with a cross in the end.

Using the top and botton hinge adjusting screws on the same door in opposite directions will tilt the door up or down when it is closed. Using them both in the same direction will move the door towards or away from the other one when they are closed.

p.s. Are your wardrobes really bigger on the inside than outside?

Ditto.

Ikea is carp of the worst quality. Save your money, spend a bit more and cherish it so that you pass it on to your children when you are gone. No one will ever pass on a piece of Ikea flat-pack ****.

Same with everything. Buy quality to last. In the long run it will pay off in spades.

It's hardly the point of it though is it.

IKEA = CRAP. That is not up for discussion.

or is it...

Some bits are but other things they sell you if you make them up properly you would have to spend many multiple times the cost to get something prebuilt to even the same quality. Got several set of Ikea shelving units and they are all sturdy, have lasted several years and look like they will continue to be fine for the foreseeable future.

Don't buy the crap. seriously, the antiques market is a buyer's market right now. there's some lovely really good furniture just waiting for a new home out there.

This. I have recently bought a windsor chair, two barometers, and George II period corner cupboard that i'm having a top made for (just to sit on the top) and i'm going to use it as a lampstand. All these items are handmade and have character and they'll only increase in value because they are currently bargain prices. Today i'm off to get a copper arts and crafts style newspaper rack that I saw yesterday but didn't buy and wish I had. It's only 15 quid and you'd never get anything as good new without paying through the roof.

Quick question. I'm not happy with the mahogany veneer section where the inlay is plus a few other areas that have lost their finnish. I'm tempted to revarnish veneer section myself or get restorer I went to school with to do it for me. Advice would be appreciated.

6325786064_bf8abca348_z.jpg

Quick question. I'm not happy with the mahogany veneer section where the inlay is plus a few other areas that have lost their finnish. I'm tempted to revarnish veneer section myself or get restorer I went to school with to do it for me. Advice would be appreciated.

6325786064_bf8abca348_z.jpg

I know nothing about antiques, but from an joinery / aesthetic point of view it looks to me like the whole thing has been badly restored and french polished / varnished. Unless its really valuable, which I doubt, i'd srtip it back to wood and then see what you have.

I know nothing about antiques, but from an joinery / aesthetic point of view it looks to me like the whole thing has been badly restored and french polished / varnished. Unless its really valuable, which I doubt, i'd srtip it back to wood and then see what you have.

Maybe, but I quite like the main sections patina, it's just the veneer section that looks so dull and I think it'd come to life with a nice shine. I've tried waxing but it does nothing to this section. I was told it was made anwhere from 1720 to 1780 (was told likely 1760 ish) so it's not going to look like brand new and I like character anyway.

When Ikea first came to the UK the quality was good. I have some from about 20 years ago which has moved house 3 times with me and they are still working perfectly.

The quality at Ikea has dropped dramtically in the last 10 years and I won't buy it anymore.

I actually work in the furniture industry (much higher end thank god) and I can guess how cheap their stuff is.

The main trick with wardrobes and hanging doors is making sure the unit is level and square - haven't read whole thread so if already stated sorry.

If unit is level and square and solid then witht he adjustment in the hinges it should be posible to get the doors hanging level and even.