Red Arrow pilot ejected from plane on the ground

alpine_saint

It's very tricky getting the acceleration out of the aircraft to be as smooth as possible. I read the biography of the test pilot who worked for Martin-Baker (sorry, can't remember his name) and he used to demonstrate them at air shows from the back of a lorry. On an early test he was severely injured and bruised all over because there was a slight delay between the initial ejection and the firing of the rockets.

My wireman was in the FAA and tells of an aircraft that returned after the pilot had pulled the ejector handle but the hood had not released, so he had to come back to the carrier anyway. They couldn't lever the hood off because as soon as they did so the seat would have fired. He had to be cut out very, very slowly.

Bad year for the 'Arrows', but they are an iconic part of the Royal Air Force and I hope that they go on. The pilots that represent them know the dangers, and I don't think that any would want to see the team wound up. RIP Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham.

Edited by Micky

Awful news :( RIP

I don't think it'll be the end of the Red Arrows.

The BAE Hawk T1 (aka the Red Arrow plane) is extensively used as a training aircraft and no doubt will go through a thorough investigation to try and find any inherent safety problems, but it has a very good safety record.

It's also in the process of being replaced with the BAE Hawk T2 (Although I'm not sure if this includes the Red Arrows themselves), so this might speed up that replacement, but the Red Arrows are too good a recruitment tool for the RAF to be phased out, even in the face of two tragedies this close together.

Edited by Jimmy_D

Is there really any need for the red arrows?

They don't provide any real worth to the safety or security to the UK yet they are putting their life's at risk daily.

If they were to die doing their day job in the raf it would be 'easier' to accept, but to die for the sake of entertainment is hard to take IMO.

They don't provide any real worth to the safety or security to the UK yet they are putting their life's at risk daily.

If they were to die doing their day job in the raf it would be 'easier' to accept, but to die for the sake of entertainment is hard to take IMO.

There's no need for the human race fullstop, but we all still trudge on regardless. As such, "need" is a bit of a subjective criteria for anything in life.

IMHO of course.

(and apologies for the uncalled for early morning philosophy lesson!)

;-)

There's no need for the human race fullstop, but we all still trudge on regardless. As such, "need" is a bit of a subjective criteria for anything in life.

IMHO of course.

(and apologies for the uncalled for early morning philosophy lesson!)

;-)

Ha, know what you mean - and no offence taken!

Im just thinking that it's a waste of a life in the search of entertainment.

Stick Frankie Cooccozza in there and I'd be happy

Look up the export sales of the Hawk Jet. It is just about the UK's most successful ever export Jet.

The Red Arrows perform World Wide, and at each event and Air Display overseas they are linked directly into the "British Pavillion" as part of the demonstration of systems and equipment.

Just about every other airforce world-wide have Display Teams linked to the sales of their equipment. Back before the Eurofighter/Typhoon project was launched the Russians put together an SU-27 Team which (tbf) knocked the spots of everyone in terms of OMG-ness, but could not come close to the Iconic Professionalism of the Arrows.

Reading the press today there appears to have been some reports of RAF Valley finding cracks in teh Ejector Seats of their training jets. This may have been an unfortunate "Could have happened to any Hawk Pilot anywhere in the world" accident and one which could cost BAe a lot of money to rectify World Wide

Edited by dubai_phil

This.

If it had been a straight choice during the Strategic Review last year between keeping the Red Arrows and an additonal squadron of Typhoons/Tornado GR4s/Harrier GR9s, I know which way I would have gone.

From initial reports up here, the ejector mechanism fired and the pilot went up, but the parachute failed to open.

http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/Red-Arrows-pilot-injured-incident-RAF-Scampton/story-13788887-detail/story.html

Must be something like this, ejector seats should normally save the pilot, even if fired from the ground.