Toronto

Johnny Shearer

I'm going there at the end of the month and plan to spend a couple of days in downtown.

Any resident Canadian Saints or people that have been on here that can give me tips on what to see and do? I'm thinking of getting a ticket for the ice hockey and there are some tickets left but pricey but hey it'll be an experience.

Any tips would be great!

I'm going there at the end of the month and plan to spend a couple of days in downtown.

Any resident Canadian Saints or people that have been on here that can give me tips on what to see and do? I'm thinking of getting a ticket for the ice hockey and there are some tickets left but pricey but hey it'll be an experience.

Any tips would be great!

Art Gallery of Ontario

Royal Ontario Museum

CN Tower

lunch in the Kensington Market area

Toronto Maple Leafs (hockey) is nearly always sold out

Hockey Hall of Fame

Unfortunately baseball is done for the year, and basketball locked out. Maple Leafs would be pricey. As Hammie says above CN tower etc is good. If you like wine, Niagara region is amazing and there are ice wines etc. that might be new to you.

Have a great time.

Just an FYI though, Toronto isn't a city that is representative of Canada as a whole, were a lot more laid back and friendly than you'll find in hogtown...

Other than the above I'd recommend a tour of the Steam Whistle Brewery which is opposite the CN Tower.

Also if there is any football on that you want to catch when you're over there, a great boozer I went to was called The Football Factory that show all games... and not a Danny Dyer impersonating t*at to be seen.

Cheers all.

Really want to see the hockey, still a few tickets left. Think I will go with ticketmaster on that one. As I'm not sure of all the other ticket sites around.

Niagara I've done before but havent really explored downtown properly. Can anyone recommend more bars?

Thanks stkev, I'll try and check out The Football Factory!

Wayne Gretzky's restaurant also has a cracking sports bar.

Although it's close season for baseball, there will still events at the Rogers Centre (aka Skydome) and you can still do a stadium tour.

The Spaghetti Factory is another good place to eat.

I didn't think I was going to enjoy it, but The Bata Shoe Museum is very quirky and interesting.

The Yorkville district is also good for bars and restaurants. You'll probably also recognise many of the streets.

Lots of films set in New York are shot here, including As Good As It Gets.

The Canadian government shoves lots of money into the Canadian Film Board to entice big production companies to locate their shoots in Toronto, where a lot of the buildings look like New York, but it's a lot cheaper to use the local film crew talent.

Lots of films set in New York are shot here, including As Good As It Gets.

The Canadian government shoves lots of money into the Canadian Film Board to entice big production companies to locate their shoots in Toronto, where a lot of the buildings look like New York, but it's a lot cheaper to use the local film crew talent.

Don't forget the Woodbine Centre shopping mall, they filmed a scene for Police Academy 4 there!

Cheers all.

Managed to get a ticket for the hockey. Its the Maple LEafs against the Boston Bruins. Wont have a clue as to wahts going on, so will annoy the people sat next to me!

Booked a hotel in downtown, with a jazz nightclub attached to it - so should be interesting.

Football Factory, think I'll head straight for that when I get there and the the Spaghetti factory afterwards.

Oh and the Landing Strip, I have been there before but didnt get a chance to do downtown properly.

Roll on the Moosehead and Kokanee beer!

Hockey is a very simple sport.

Icing - you are not allowed to send the puck the length of the ice, if it is shot from behind the center (red) line and is touched by an opposing player behind the goal line then play will be started right back in the defensive zone. An exception is when a team is on the penalty kill (have a man serving a penalty).

Offside - the puck must enter the offensive zone (blue line) ahead of any attacking players (skaters), if the puck is moved out of the offensive zone and there are attacking players still in there, they must leave the zone before the puck can be taken/passed back into the zone.

Fighting is allowed and encouraged. Penalties are called for various things, tripping, slashing (not ****ing, hitting someone with a stick), cross checking (knocking someone over by pushing them with a stick), high stick in the face, puck over the glass (not allowed to just clear the puck over the glass to ease the pressure), kneeing, slew footing (tripping with a skate), interference.

Most penalties last 2 minutes, whereby the infracting player must sit out (in the "box") the duration leaving his team "short-handed". Any goals scored during this time for the team with the extra player are called "power play goals", if the team with fewer players scores (it happens) it is called a shorthanded goal.

Have a great time, Leafs vs Bruins is a divisional game and they are both "original 6" teams so it will be pretty intense. I am jealous, I will have to get out to an Ottawa game soon.