Laser Eye Surgery

Jonnyboy

I had it done 18 months ago, Optical Express in West Quay.

Results are fantastic, mine was slightly more exspensive due to how bad my eyes were.

Some discomfort afterwards, 3 types of drops for a week and it was all fine.

Would suggest it to anyone.

**** that. Just sod it no. Cant do it, couldnt do it. Im the one they'd show on Watchdog for what can go wrong during eye surgery and my guide dog would pull me into the studio and shat all over the floor. I am -4.25 and -3.5 but I'll stick to the contact lenses and the minimal grief that comes with them. Fair play to you lot that have had it done, but all I need to hear is one story of a person who's now got a lazy eye due to an error in the process and I'm out. And ive heard that story

Pretty sure that along with Oceanography, Southampton University is one of the worlds leading universities for eye surgery. There must be a fair few places in Southampton available to do it. My girlfriend had it done years ago and hasn't worn glasses since.

The a place near The Alexandra/Jurys inn. Something like 500 an eye

Had it done 9 years ago - one of the best things I've ever done. Had it done in some place in Fulham - they were very good, but can't remember the name right now. They were one of the few places at the time that could correct astigmatism. I think today most places can do that and probably at about half the cost I paid.

Can (sort of) echo what others have said on here.

My wife had it done at Optical Express in West Quay, she say its the best thing she has ever done. now has brilliant vision and wish she had done it earlier.

word of warning though, the adverts on TV say from £500 per eye, remember the "FROM" bit as hers cost £1500 per eye.

She is still happy that she spent the £3k though (gets to see my handsome face in total clarity!!!)

**** that. Just sod it no. Cant do it, couldnt do it. Im the one they'd show on Watchdog for what can go wrong during eye surgery and my guide dog would pull me into the studio and shat all over the floor. I am -4.25 and -3.5 but I'll stick to the contact lenses and the minimal grief that comes with them. Fair play to you lot that have had it done, but all I need to hear is one story of a person who's now got a lazy eye due to an error in the process and I'm out. And ive heard that story

Good point - it can and does go wrong - you need to be comfortable with the risks. I think it is something like 2-3% of surgeries don't go as planned. Some can be corrected with further surgery but others can never be resolved. I was at a point where my eyes were damaged by not taking care of my contact lenses properly and leaving them in too long etc. I was advised not to wear contacts anymore which is why I started looking into this.

Do a google on 'Laser Eye Surgery gone wrong' and if you are still happy to go ahead after reading that lot then good luck. I want to think I was prepared for the worst, but ended up with fantastic results, so never had to find out how I would have felt had it gone wrong.

Anyone wary can take the easy route and pray for cataracts. Better results and (currently) foc on the NHS.Mrs.h us an expert, seriously. Worked with some of the worlds top eye surgeons.Useless info: they used to punch cataracts into the eyeball with a blunt wooden dowel, it is called.'couching', Google it.

Seems I'm the third person on this thread to have had it done at Optical Express in West Quay. Had it done Aug last year, so 15 months ago. I have to disclose I did pass out afterwards and was taken to Soton General, but they said I was the first person to have had a seisure. My GP said it was a vasovegal attack as they get you up and walking literally a minute after the laser - GP says they should keep you prone after. Anyway that was my experience on the day.

Since then, all fine. Went back for checkups at 3, 6 and 12 months. At 51, I do need reading classes for close-up, having now been surgically changed from being short-sighted to long-sighted, but after wearing glasses and contacts for 30 years, it's good to be free of them and wearing sunglasses (in the summer, I mean).

Couple more points. Technical stuff - there is laser (lasik) and lasEk surgery. I had the first kind - 7 seconds of laser into each eye (keep very still). I did NOT want the second kind. That involves surgically cutting your eye, making a flap and inserting a disk (basically). Those who have had it done, and I know a couple of people, say its like having salt rubbed into your eye for days, very uncomfortable, until it settles down. And you are banned from driving for a week with this type, and most people just bed rest at home, so a week without pay for some. And not all people are suitable for laser (lasik) surgery, some only for the lasek (salt in your eyes) type, so you have a consultation before committing yourself so they can assess your suitability.

Price - how long is a piece of string? My boss at work talked me into it after he had it done. He paid £2500, he said. I went on the Optical Express website, left my contact details, and within five minutes, they were on the phone inviting me in. They went through the options, approved me for lasik (laser light), gave me a speech about seeing in HD for a few grand, or standard (non HD) for £1295. My boss had given me a £300 discount voucher, so I paid £995 for the whole thing.

Couple of smaller things to conclude with ...

Optical Express, Southampton is heaving every time I visit. I work at Newbury so recently found they have a place in Reading. I go there for consultations now - bigger premises, less busy, and a fit optician (name available on PM, guys.

And finally, I'm now an Ambassador for Optical Express, which means no more than I have had it done, but I have £300 discount vouchers for anyone who wants to have it done. So PM me if you're up for it.

So to the original poster, yes, I would recommend it for your lady. Costs nothing to have an assessment and get a price. Then you can negotiate and present vouchers.

Edited by the saint in winchester