No J6 on M27

SO16_Saint

The planned junction 6 was simply never built. There was originally going to be a 'motorway spur' (a mini-motorway) coming off the M27 at junction 6 and going into the centre of Southampton. This spur would have been called the M273. They just never got round to building this spur so junction 6 wasn't built.

Sometimes they run out of money.

I don't know specifics about J6, but I do know that the M62 ends at junction 4. The plan was to take it all the way into Liverpool City Centre.

Used to play on the building site of the M27 when it was being constructed :D

Presumably this was the infamous Portswood Link - a motorway standard road into the centre of town. It was eventually modified and downgraded and became Thomas Lewis Way but for many years in the 70s a lot of properties in Portswood and St Denys were virtually unsaleable as it was planned that the road would pass nearby.

The planned junction 6 was simply never built. There was originally going to be a 'motorway spur' (a mini-motorway) coming off the M27 at junction 6 and going into the centre of Southampton. This spur would have been called the M273. They just never got round to building this spur so junction 6 wasn't built.

Thank god they never built it, it would appear it was to terminate in Townhill Park, that's a bit too close to me in Bitterne Park for comfort:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M27_motorway_(England)

Presumably this was the infamous Portswood Link - a motorway standard road into the centre of town. It was eventually modified and downgraded and became Thomas Lewis Way but for many years in the 70s a lot of properties in Portswood and St Denys were virtually unsaleable as it was planned that the road would pass nearby.

But Thomas Lewis Way goes straight to the Eastleigh exit anyway...?

There's a junction missing on the M4 between Slough and Reading, the Maidenhead/Henley junction is "8/9". Same reason, budgets and plans changed and one junction got nixed. Two link spur roads (A308(M) to Maidenhead and A404(M) to High Wycombe/M40) join the M4 at that junction, I assume the original plan was to have them join separately, at 8 and 9 respectively.

In my defence, I use it every single day, I don't generally take an unhealthy interest in motorway junctions...

'Pathetic' is interesting, but if you want the low down on naming conventions (the '2's are in the south, the '5's are in the west), obscure roads, road descriptions, road history and all things road, then there is an excellent web-site:

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/

I think I have read the driving commentary of all the roads specified - sorry but it is interesting.