The Xmas 2011 John Lewis ad

alpine_saint

I like Charlie Brooker's twitter comments on the advert:

"Anyone who wells up at that John Lewis ad is a monster. That's a dog's head in that box. Weep for the dog, not the fake sentiment."

"Don't think I've ever found anything more terrifying than the general reaction to that John Lewis shop advert. The shop advert. Shop advert."

"Anyone who cries at that advert is literally weeping IQ points out of their body. We are f*cking doomed."

I like Charlie Brooker's twitter comments on the advert:

"Anyone who wells up at that John Lewis ad is a monster. That's a dog's head in that box. Weep for the dog, not the fake sentiment."

"Don't think I've ever found anything more terrifying than the general reaction to that John Lewis shop advert. The shop advert. Shop advert."

"Anyone who cries at that advert is literally weeping IQ points out of their body. We are f*cking doomed."

It's an OK advert, but i couldn't imagine anyone crying over it? Do they really? Cripes! If so, he's right - we are doomed. :eek:

It's an OK advert, but i couldn't imagine anyone crying over it? Do they really? Cripes! If so, he's right - we are doomed. :eek:

I was a bit misty eyed.

I have a little boy the same age, and am very familiar with the emotions and expressions of the boy in the ad.

And the smile from him as he brings the present into his parents is heartbreaking.

I was a bit misty eyed.

I have a little boy the same age, and am very familiar with the emotions and expressions of the boy in the ad.

And the smile from him as he brings the present into his parents is heartbreaking.

Don't be ridiculous. It's a tv ad for John Lewis FFS.

I was a bit misty eyed.

Why is it heartbreaking? I would have thought it more "heartwarming". OK, if he'd tripped over the present in the hallway and gouged his little eye out and split his head open in the process, then struggled to his parents room with the remains of the present, his little brains tumbling out of his split head as he manages to finally give them the gift before departing this mortal coil, then i could understand the description of him raising his last feeble smile as heartbreaking? But it's a happy advert, i think?

Why is it heartbreaking? I would have thought it more "heartwarming". OK, if he'd tripped over the present in the hallway and gouged his little eye out and split his head open in the process, then struggled to his parents room with the remains of the present, his little brains tumbling out of his split head as he manages to finally give them the gift before departing this mortal coil, then i could understand the description of him raising his last feeble smile as heartbreaking? But it's a happy advert, i think?

:lol:

Very good.

That Charlie brooker is what is feckin wrong with this country if you ask me... its just a shame that an add which is less about greed and take take take that our society has become is criticised for being schmalzy - has everyone really become that feckin cynically? The ads Ok, but about feckin time someone put the right sentiment back in to advertising.... bet that Charlie fecker loves Iceland's ****e about eat all you feckin can as surely thats all that matters to him at Christmas

Good on you Alps for finding it emotive. I am with you on this one.