Test your vocabulary

bridge too far

36,500. There were a good few words there that I feel I should know, but couldn't actually put a definition to. Familiar but not familiar enough. It's an interesting test and site, particularly the page explaining how it's worked out, and also contains this great quote from Mark Twain:

“Ours is a mongrel language which started with a child's vocabulary of three hundred words, and now consists of two hundred and twenty-five thousand; the whole lot, with the exception of the original and legitimate three hundred, borrowed, stolen, smouched from every unwatched language under the sun, the spelling of each individual word of the lot locating the source of the theft and preserving the memory of the revered crime.”

Edited by Fowllyd

Ooh you *****! ;)

Do it yourself, sweetie, and let me know how well you did. I think you'll beat me though :(

I doubt it. I pride myself on not using several fancy words when one simple one will do.

And them there'd the fact that the 'next step' button doesn't work on my iPhone...

36,500. There were a good few words there that I feel I should know, but couldn't actually put a definition to. Familiar but not familiar enough. It's an interesting test and site, particularly the page explaining how it's worked out, and also contains this great quote from Mark Twain:

“Ours is a mongrel language which started with a child's vocabulary of three hundred words, and now consists of two hundred and twenty-five thousand; the whole lot, with the exception of the original and legitimate three hundred, borrowed, stolen, smouched from every unwatched language under the sun, the spelling of each individual word of the lot locating the source of the theft and preserving the memory of the revered crime.”

Stop trying to justify being dense.