What does your newspaper say about you?

dune

I am a Daily Express reader and I am proud of my Newspaper especially the crusader logo. I think this newspaper says i'm patriotic, right wing, don't like benefits slobs, likely a UKIP supporter, and has made it in the game of life. I like to display my paper (with it's "migrants taking our jobs" headline) prominently when on public transport, particularly trains, as it discourages undesirable passengers from sitting in my vicinity and/or puts them off trying to strike a conversation. Equally it let's like minded people know here is a proud and loyal subject that takes no truck with the Liberal Elite.

I am a Daily Express reader and I am proud of my Newspaper especially the crusader logo. I think this newspaper says i'm patriotic, right wing, don't like benefits slobs, likely a UKIP supporter, and has made it in the game of life. I like to display my paper (with it's "migrants taking our jobs" headline) prominently when on public transport, particularly trains, as it discourages undesirable passengers from sitting in my vicinity and/or puts them off trying to strike a conversation. Equally it let's like minded people know here is a proud and loyal subject that takes no truck with the Liberal Elite.

:lol::lol: Very Good !

I buy either the Independent or Guardian.

Whatever I end up buying, I reckon Private Eye is an absolute must. Helps to work out how much b*ll*cks was in the newspapers over the last couple of weeks (answer: a lot - even in the lefty papers, but especially so in the right wing tabloids).

An interesting question, dune. In your particular case, your love of the Daily Express says "reading age of around 12".

To be fair Dune, if I see someone reading the Daily Express, I think 'What a ****'. The Express is the worst paper this country produces.

This. I take an instant dislike to anyone I see reading the Express, even more so than the Mail. And that's saying something. I realise I should feel sorry for them but it's difficult sometimes.

I buy the Saturday Guardian and occasionally the Telegraph - as I live in a Tory stronghold what few Guardians there are tend to go quickly. The Telegraph can be a good read -much better journalism than the Times.

I think you've got that pretty spot on but don't you get a bit bored of all the Diana stories and health scare stories? What attracts you to the Express over the Mail?

Just spotted this.

Aren't you supposed to be a complete failure if you're still using public transport past 30?

To be honest, actually it mostly just says you're not very bright and can't cope with long words or difficult concepts. Right wing is one thing, but only reading a red top is another. The Sun only requires a reading age of 11, and whilst The Express is admittedly a step up from that, it's not a very big step. Can't you manage The Telegraph or The Times?

Just looked up the Express reader profile and 40% of its readers are over 65. Average age is 59. But to be fair to Dune, it has 58% ABC1 class readers as opposed to the overall population figure of 56% being ABC1.

Mind you, of course that overall figure will include those who read no paper at all. So, making the reasonable assumption that those in the lowest affluent social groupings are less likely to read anything, let alone a paper, that is probably a lower social grouping than for newspapers as a whole, and must be much lower than for the broadsheets. The Telegraph reader profile for example is 87% ABC1,and I believe The Times profile is similar.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:IxY1pB2u7RIJ:www.slideshare.net/mrsloan/express-audience-facts+daily+express+reader+profile&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

So basically reading the Express mostly says you are right wing, not particularly successful, and a bit past it.

I suppose that might explain how Dune can spend so much of his life on here.

I take it when you say "made it in the game of life", you mean the board game Dune?

This amuses me.

You are far from doing it in reality.

This is slightly disturbing. Are you outside his house now watching the rapid ill-defined shadow puppetry on his curtains?

This amuses me.

This is slightly disturbing. Are you outside his house now watching the rapid ill-defined shadow puppetry on his curtains?

I had him round doing electrical work. I don't think he remembers though. Made him tea and provided complimentary digestives.

get my news mainly from the tv and buy a paper now and then except the mail which is crap and comes across has a hate rag for small minded people ands think the express is a old mans paper now compared to its heyday.

Judging by your posts I would say The Star would be too intellectual for you.

I get my news off the telly and internet, stories on the SWF in actual fact often leads to me getting enveloped in the odd current issue. For me newspapers don't hold any attraction or relevance in comparison.

I do every now and then pick up a leftover copy of Metro on a train journey or do someone else's BIG crossword in the NOTW (no more though), even The Sport, which I 'read' as a nipper, doesn't compare to the internet, not by a million miles.

It goes without saying that The Echo rocks for local ****.

The newspaper that I actually do read cover to cover whenever I have access to it is the East Kent Mercury (covering Deal, Dover & Sandwich). Some of the stories are genuinely lollable, I am determined that when I move down there I am going to assume a nom da plume and ruffle some already ruffled feathers; 'fence-gate' (I kid you not) is still unresolved, a story that centre's on a fence erected on the boundary to Deal's Maritime Museum, the ensuing furore resulted in the museum having to close to the public due to protesters, and this started over a year ago iirc. Don't get me started on the "child in a pushchair eating a sausage roll IN THE PRECINT' letter of complaint about parenting skills or the lack of.

I can't believe you haven't mentioned their love affair with Princess Di!

I read 7Days.

It is free and delivered to my door at 2am every morning.

www.7days.ae

It also happens to be a National newspaper and it decided to publish a photo that I took as it's entire front page.

It won a lot of awards.

They never mentioned me.

Still all my mates know it was me and I have the paper & the original framed.

See my choice of paper says absolutely nothing about me at all.

Not a patch on der sturmer.

I read 7Days.

It is free and delivered to my door at 2am every morning.

www.7days.ae

It also happens to be a National newspaper and it decided to publish a photo that I took as it's entire front page.

It won a lot of awards.

They never mentioned me.

Still all my mates know it was me and I have the paper & the original framed.

See my choice of paper says absolutely nothing about me at all.

Hedonistic maybe? ;)

I read a lot of my news online(telegraph, independent, Guardian, Daily Mail etc + BBC) in an as wide spectrum as possible(not just newspaper websites either)... but in physical form(if I do these days...) Guardian or Daily Mail as that is what is in the house. If I buy a newspaper myself, I get i.