Goal line technology

mcjwills

One interesting question is if the technology gets (or is) to the state where it can track and predict the path of a ball after only a short distance is there a risk that it could be used to gain an unfair advantage as well as for goal line decisions?

Say you were Man U, you had the a system installed that could track the immediate path of a ball after a penalty or free kick and were able to pass that information, say via some otherwise inconspicuous lights, to the goal keeper, would they be against the current rules? (Penalties probably not enough reaction time but being able to know which side of the goal to move towards for a free kick would probably help the goalie. I assume their must be a general catch all rule that this would fall foul of?

I see according to sky sports that FIFA was at St Mary's on Tuesday testing Hawkeye. Today they are Rochdale to test goalminder technology. Think this looks like it may finally come to fruition.

Any idea why they chose St Mary's? Just a random selection or Cortese interested to be seen to be on the leading edge of this sort of thing?

I guess its worth doing but how often does a match hinge on whether a ball crossed the line or not? pretty rare imo compared with the numerous wrong open play decisions. Saturday against Brighton beiing a good example. Six or more potential penalties, a sending off and some bookings have far more impact on a game's outcome.

I guess its worth doing but how often does a match hinge on whether a ball crossed the line or not? pretty rare imo compared with the numerous wrong open play decisions. Saturday against Brighton beiing a good example. Six or more potential penalties, a sending off and some bookings have far more impact on a game's outcome.

I see it as a 'foot in the door' scenario. If the goal line experiement goes well then I can see it gradually being rolled out to other areas of the game. IMHO of course

Its what I've said all along. Absolutely pointless for something that hardly ever happens. I must have been to at least 1000 games of football, can hardly remember any games it would have been needed. This just comes from the massively over-the-top media coverage that happens on the rare occasions there is a contentious decision.

Its what I've said all along. Absolutely pointless for something that hardly ever happens. I must have been to at least 1000 games of football, can hardly remember any games it would have been needed. This just comes from the massively over-the-top media coverage that happens on the rare occasions there is a contentious decision.

Indeed. I can't see why in these few incidents where it is not sure what has happened that the ref cannot stop the play (as with a head injury) and get the 4th official to look at replays. It's not going to break up play if it only happens once in a blue moon.

Indeed. I can't see why in these few incidents where it is not sure what has happened that the ref cannot stop the play (as with a head injury) and get the 4th official to look at replays. It's not going to break up play if it only happens once in a blue moon.

This is the problem. Suppose Jose Fonte clears off the line, but the ball may have been over it, and Saints run straight down the other end and Rickie scores. When would you stop play? I don't have much faith in Hawkeye anyway, just remember the way that some of these balls move about and a spinning ball that rebounds off the posts or crossbar can be very unpredictable. Slow motion tv is also unrepresentative of what actually happened, just remember that injustice in the rugby world cup final. All you are doing is transferring the decision to another human in a box somewhere. Then there is the principle of having the same laws throughout all levels of football. We should never let money or television dominate the way that the game is played.

Hawkeye was developed at Roke Manor near Romsey. Various goal-line technologies have been tested at Staplewood in recent years.

I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles. Never once has my seatbelt stopped me from going through the windscreen...........

This is the problem. Suppose Jose Fonte clears off the line, but the ball may have been over it, and Saints run straight down the other end and Rickie scores. When would you stop play? I don't have much faith in Hawkeye anyway, just remember the way that some of these balls move about and a spinning ball that rebounds off the posts or crossbar can be very unpredictable. Slow motion tv is also unrepresentative of what actually happened, just remember that injustice in the rugby world cup final. All you are doing is transferring the decision to another human in a box somewhere. Then there is the principle of having the same laws throughout all levels of football. We should never let money or television dominate the way that the game is played.

Hawkeye was developed at Roke Manor near Romsey. Various goal-line technologies have been tested at Staplewood in recent years.

This has been my point all along. Its not needed anyway. If it wasn't for the masss media blowing a few big, but rare decisions out of all proportion it wouldn't be getting anywhere near the coverage it does.

Firstly the highly disputed "did it/didn't it" situations are very rare, secondly the cases where it has happened and someone has gone on to score without a break in play are even rarer.

On the case of video replays it appears the recently the TV companies have been putting in camera's that look directly down the line making it a lot easier to decide if the ball had crossed the line.

In cases where this happens what I would expect would happen is that the referee would be informed by his linesman either that a) the linesman was fairly sure the ball had crossed the line, if so goal, b) the lino was fairly sure the ball had not crossed the line, so no goal play continues or c) The lino feels unable to give a definitive answer, in which case the ref blows his whistle, stops play and the video in consulted. If it was a goal, goal given, if it was not then an uncontested drop ball as we see after the ball in knocked out of play. Now it all comes down to how quickly the ref can make the decision to go to a video replay but it should be within a few seconds (especially with the ref, linos and 4th official being miked up) so the chances that the other team would have scored in that time is minimal. Personally I would prefer the right decision on the initial 'goal/no goal' is determined correctly over the very slight risk that by stopping play immediately afterwards you might stop a goal scoring attack.

To argue against it is like the Indian Cricket Board arguing against using hawkeye for decisions. They claim its because it is not 100% correct but overlook that it is a lot more accurate than the naked eye of even the best umpire. You are refusing to go from say 95% accurate to 99% accurate because 99 does not equal 100.

Edited by pedg