Great. Another 252,000 people

1976_Child

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/8912005/Migration-in-2010-at-record-high.html

Great. In 2010 another 252,000 NET people came to this overcrowded island.

When are we going to stop this? We simply can not sustain a year-on-year increase like this. That is pretty much the population of Southampton arriving in this country, all demanding health care, education, housing, water and JOBS. There aren't enough jobs to go around as it is.

And this happened on the Tories' watch.

Crazy. It is NOT racist to demand a stop to immigration. We are full. White, Black, Yellow, Purple I don't care who you are. GO AWAY.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/8912005/Migration-in-2010-at-record-high.html

When are we going to stop this? We simply can not sustain a year-on-year increase like this. That is pretty much the population of Southampton arriving in this country, all demanding health care, education, housing, water and JOBS. There aren't enough jobs to go around as it is.

Crazy. It is NOT racist to demand a stop to immigration. We are full. White, Black, Yellow, Purple I don't care who you are. GO AWAY.

Actually let in 600,000 new people last year. Desperate need got a quota system to make sure arrivals dont exceed departures imo.

They will go away when the UK either stops giving them money to do f*ck all or giving it's own citizens money to do f*ck all

whilst the "new" population replaces them in the menial tasks scorned by said citizens.We have the same problem in France,it's just easier to have 10 kids and sponge than get a sh*t job with long hours and low pay.

This is one area where I will happily criticise the Tories for not acting quickly enough. The gaping floodgates should have been closed on 'day 1' in May 2010.

That said, those figures cover the whole of 2010 so do we know what the half year split was (given the best part of half that time was on Labour's watch)? I guess some might even argue that an incoming government can't act instantly on something like this anyway, so it could be argued I supposed that 2010 figures are largely down to Labour's policies.

Damn, there was I happy to criticise my beloved Tories...!

Edited by trousers

This is one area where I will happily criticise the Tories for not acting quickly enough. The gaping floodgates should have been closed on 'day 1' in May 2010.

That said, those figures cover the whole of 2010 so do we know what the half year split was (given the best part of half that time was on Labour's watch)? I guess some might even argue that an incoming government can't act instantly on something like this anyway, so it could be argued I supposed that 2010 figures are largely down to Labour's policies.

Damn, there was I happy to criticise my beloved Tories...!

Frankly I don't give a hoot whose fault it is. It is an absolute disgrace that it is happening. We are a bloody island ffs. The Home Office knows where the airports are, knows where the ferry ports are. And we still have a functioning ship building industry which should have been commissioned to build a fleet of fast coastguard clippers (like they have in the US). There should be a 24/7/365 coastal patrol to discourage 'banana' boats trying to get in.

How feking hard can it be? If you are not in possession of a British passport or a valid visa then you are not allowed passed the gate and you are sent straight back to your departure point. And when I mean straight back, I mean STRAIGHT BACK. The same day. No appeal.

Frankly I don't give a hoot whose fault it is. It is an absolute disgrace that it is happening. We are a bloody island ffs. The Home Office knows where the airports are, knows where the ferry ports are. And we still have a functioning ship building industry which should have been commissioned to build a fleet of fast coastguard clippers (like they have in the US). There should be a 24/7/365 coastal patrol to discourage 'banana' boats trying to get in.

How feking hard can it be? If you are not in possession of a British passport or a valid visa then you are not allowed passed the gate and you are sent straight back to your departure point. And when I mean straight back, I mean STRAIGHT BACK. The same day. No appeal.

Although I expect there are a lot of tourist/student visa overstays amongst them.Anyway perhaps these 252,000 aren't

all arrivals,every young girl i see in the UK seems to be pushing a pram.How can that be then,I must have sh*gged hundreds(well quite a lot anyway,OK 20) in my young days, never knocked one up.Must be voluntary really.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Why mention that "it happened on the Tories watch" if it was intended as an a-political statement?

Because they kept on banging on and on about how they were going to be tough on immigration from day one. Then low and behold as soon as they get elected all the election promises go out the window. That is the point I am making. That they lied. But this issue should be above party politics. That is why I don't care whose fault it is.

Just saying we could do without the outright lying, greasing their way into power on a pack of lies.

Because they kept on banging on and on about how they were going to be tough on immigration from day one. Then low and behold as soon as they get elected all the election promises go out the window. That is the point I am making. That they lied.

Without having a breakdown of the 2010 figures quoted it's not possible to deduce whether they were "lying" or not. And if you think that the policies of an outgoing government can be unpicked and unravelled at the drop of a hat then some might venture that is as naive a view on the mechanics of government as it is naive of prospective governments to claim they can turn things around on "day 1".

There's a difference between "starting to tackle" a problem on 'Day 1' and "fixing a problem outright" on 'Day 1'

I agree that we shouldn't necessarily dwell on the politics on this issue but if one is going to mention the political side of things lets at least ratify and/or establish the underlying facts first. Just an observation.

Edited by trousers

This is another issue, like The EU, where the politicans of all 3 main parties dont give a flying F what the people want. Along with the establishment, they have decided that immigration is a good thing and that's the end of it. You only have to look at Gordon Brown's response to Gillian Duffy's perfectly reasonable question about it (when he thought the mike was off), to know what our leaders really think.

Most live in a bubble, seeing the country as one big Cosmopolitan city.

It's no surprise more people came to this country last year, the whole world was in economic sh!te so it makes more sense to move to a country with a larger economy than the one you currently live in.

Immigration is not a problem that can be solved in a day though... it's foolish to think that imo. Tougher border controls could be implemented in a few months but we need to train staff, improve systems and administration etc, all of that takes time and money. Can't see this government making major strides towards really strict border controls until our economic situation picks up - which, with our lack of economic growth over the last 18 months, could take a while.

It's no surprise more people came to this country last year, the whole world was in economic sh!te so it makes more sense to move to a country with a larger economy than the one you currently live in.

Immigration is not a problem that can be solved in a day though... it's foolish to think that imo. Tougher border controls could be implemented in a few months but we need to train staff, improve systems and administration etc, all of that takes time and money. Can't see this government making major strides towards really strict border controls until our economic situation picks up - which, with our lack of economic growth over the last 18 months, could take a while.

In fact if you created say 100 posts for border controllers you'd save on 100 unemployed and may be a couple of hundred benefit spongers so it would be kind of economical.

Well just how hard can it be to train someone to be able to look at a passport, deduce that it is a genuine British passport and/or has a vaild visa? That is all we are talking about here.

"Are you a British citizen?"

"No"

"Do you have a valid visa?"

"No"

"P!ss off. We're full"

The amount of people coming into the country didn't change, it's just that less people left. I'd imagine the amount of people moving to the med for their retirement has dropped considerably since southern europe's economies went down the toilet.

Well I think it's more to do with the exchange rate than anything else,that being a result of the weakness of the UK economy rather than anything else,because property wise it's never been so good for buyers with cash available.You can get a nice little mansion in Spain for half the price it was 5 years ago and probably the price of an IKEA flatpack kitchen unit in the UK.

In 2007 1£ was worth about 1.42 euros,last summer it was down around 1.10,meaning that the pound in your pocket had

a decreased value of about 25%.I know a few brits who had to go because they just couldn't hack it on their retirement plans (and of course no Coronation St on TV).

Well just how hard can it be to train someone to be able to look at a passport, deduce that it is a genuine British passport and/or has a vaild visa? That is all we are talking about here.

"Are you a British citizen?"

"No"

"Do you have a valid visa?"

"No"

"P!ss off. We're full"

It's not as simple as that, Super MIkey knows how tricky it is, he is 18 and doing a degree in Anthropology dont forget.

Seriously, how? I know Cameron and co gave it all the flannel about immigration caps, but their hands are completely tied when it comes to migrants from the EU. The most the incoming government could have done is put a bar on the EU's newest citizens from coming here, and that's only if they can point to immigration from those countries adversely affecting our labour market, and could only be applied until 2014.

So that just leaves countries from outside the EU. We can cap those, right? Well, not really. See, as part of an EU trade deal with India, we agreed to allow a load of Indian IT workers to come and work in the UK.

There's nothing racist about saying you can't fit two pints in a one-pint country. Also, we haven't even sorted out the problems that arose from previous waves of immigration. Would any business cope with the turnover of people in the UK? Undoubtedly not. Any decent boss would look to take stock and consolidate. That's exactly what we should be doing.

Unfortunately, there is no way we can do that while we're signed up to the EU. We could be deciding that right now, but Dave and co, arch-nemeses of the EU when it was a vote-winner, bottled it on the big day when people were actually asking for it.

It's not as simple as that, Super MIkey knows how tricky it is, he is 18 and doing a degree in Anthropology dont forget.

He's dropping out now and wants to follow verbal into hospital radio. Saintandy666, our very own young Stephen Hawking, is the new kid on the block round here now.

How many are students(they are the 'biggest group' apparently in the stats)? Because they come here, pay full fees and spend **** loads, then leave.

Suffice to say, there isn't a lot we can do about a massive chunk of our immigration anyways because we are in the EU.

So what's the answer Andy??

He's dropping out now and wants to follow verbal into hospital radio. Saintandy666, our very own young Stephen Hawking, is the new kid on the block round here now.

Is he really dropping out? silly little sod.Why doesn't he just get a transfer to another course.Getting kicked out perhaps,how many drop out mid-term.

Is he really dropping out? silly little sod.Why doesn't he just get a transfer to another course.Getting kicked out perhaps,how many drop out mid-term.

He's off to Bournemouth to do radio studies because after over a year he decided he didn't like the course.

Oh right, he'll regret that then likely as not, I mean I could see dropping out to take on a decent job but to pursue some pastime or other isn't smart, especially 3 semesters in.

He does have Verbal as a role model though so it's not all bad. Plus Verbal will get £50 of M&S vouchers for refering his Therapist to Mikey in a couple of years. It's a win win situation.

Just you wait until DJ Super is the biggest name in hospital radio.

Certainly shall. Used to be the sort of career you got into by working your way up from tea-boy though.

Jeez I'm out of date, I studied Physics, I'm a physicist....may be I should have been a carpenter though, must have missed out on something there.Then again I always take The Boat that Rocked as my guideline about Radio. Thick Kevin, now there's good DJ name.

Nice to see that people care more about me leaving uni than immigrants coming over here, taking our jobs, impregnating our women...

Window Cleaner, this is the course - http://courses.bournemouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-degree/radio/none/1461/

Yes I'd already had a looksee, 300 units what does that mean? Can't be ECTS units cos you only get 30 of those per semester and 180 is what you need to get a first degree.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Nice to see that people care more about me leaving uni than immigrants coming over here, taking our jobs, impregnating our women...

Window Cleaner, this is the course - http://courses.bournemouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-degree/radio/none/1461/

Wow, that looks an incredibly woolly degree. I liked this bit...

•You will explore radio skills

Will that include things like being able to find Radio 5 whilst driving and other such important things?

Wow, that looks an incredibly woolly degree. I liked this bit...

•You will explore radio skills

Will that include things like being able to find Radio 5 whilst driving and other such important things?

D'ya think Tony Blackburn gives guest lectures, he's from Bournemouth isn't he?

Noel Edmonds.....did he have a formal study based radio background?

Mr Blobby is probably a 3rd year study project.

Without having a breakdown of the 2010 figures quoted it's not possible to deduce whether they were "lying" or not. And if you think that the policies of an outgoing government can be unpicked and unravelled at the drop of a hat then some might venture that is as naive a view on the mechanics of government as it is naive of prospective governments to claim they can turn things around on "day 1".

There's a difference between "starting to tackle" a problem on 'Day 1' and "fixing a problem outright" on 'Day 1'

I agree that we shouldn't necessarily dwell on the politics on this issue but if one is going to mention the political side of things lets at least ratify and/or establish the underlying facts first. Just an observation.

Is that why Teresa May ordered a trial of relaxed border controls?

Immigration is good. It brings in skills and workforce, money from spending and economic growth. If we stopped immigration tomorrow we'd soon see the negative consequences. It's all about a balance though...

Thats what the parties and CBI would have you believe. Mostly its just low skilled young people moving within the EU. After that is families from abroad joining people here, fiancees of UK passport holders and asylum seekers.

Not meaning to give you grief like the others on here... but what with tuition fees and all, this is exactly the sort of degree that isn't worth doing.

My company have just taken on a Grad with a 1st in Computer Science from Warwick. Despite over 100 applications we were his only offer in 10 months of trying. I'm just saying, it seems tough for graduates right now, even good ones, with good degrees, from good Unis.

[10 years ago it was all be it different - but I do recon my mate who graduated in Surf Science from Plymouth might regret it now... he'd never admit that of course]

Is that why Teresa May ordered a trial of relaxed border controls?

Relaxation? Interesting choice of word. My understanding is that it was a shift of focus from low risk categories to high risk categories of people. I believe they managed to trap more high risk people that way (I think the oft used phrase at thus juncture is: "no s**t Sherlock".

But, by all means continue to use the rather more emotive interpretation if that makes you feel better.

;-)

Yes I'd already had a looksee, 300 units what does that mean? Can't be ECTS units cos you only get 30 of those per semester and 180 is what you need to get a first degree.

It relates to A-level results. It breaks down like this:

A* = 140pts

A = 120pts

B = 100pts

C = 80pts

D = 60pts

I've got 340pts (BCCC) so I should be okay - the course i'm currently on wanted me to get 380pts but I managed to scrape through somehow.

I agree that it's not an incredibly useful degree course, but I want to do something that I enjoy and relates to a career - my next step would be to join a graduate training programme or jump straight into the industry itself.

MEANWHILE, BACK ON TOPIC...

I agree with Andy that immigration is a good thing. Despite what the right-wing nutters would have you believe, people come to this country with the intention of working, not just sponging on benefits. People are leaving their countries of origin because they can't get jobs, their quality of life is low and most third-world countries are experiencing exponential growth in birth rates and population increase. They're jumping before they are pushed, so to speak, in order to provide a better future for their families. A lot of the people coming into this country are highly-skilled workers like doctors, and who would choose to keep a foreign doctor in this country as opposed to a British burger flipper?

Edited by SuperMikey

It relates to A-level results. It breaks down like this:

A* = 140pts

A = 120pts

B = 100pts

C = 80pts

D = 60pts

I've got 340pts (BCCC) so I should be okay - the course i'm currently on wanted me to get 380pts but I managed to scrape through somehow.

I agree that it's not an incredibly useful degree course, but I want to do something that I enjoy and relates to a career - my next step would be to join a graduate training programme or jump straight into the industry itself.

With the points system, doesn't AS levels count as well??? None of my unis do points so not entirely sure, but that's what I was told by someone the other day.

Seriously, how? I know Cameron and co gave it all the flannel about immigration caps, but their hands are completely tied when it comes to migrants from the EU. The most the incoming government could have done is put a bar on the EU's newest citizens from coming here, and that's only if they can point to immigration from those countries adversely affecting our labour market, and could only be applied until 2014.

So that just leaves countries from outside the EU. We can cap those, right? Well, not really. See, as part of an EU trade deal with India, we agreed to allow a load of Indian IT workers to come and work in the UK.

There's nothing racist about saying you can't fit two pints in a one-pint country. Also, we haven't even sorted out the problems that arose from previous waves of immigration. Would any business cope with the turnover of people in the UK? Undoubtedly not. Any decent boss would look to take stock and consolidate. That's exactly what we should be doing.

Unfortunately, there is no way we can do that while we're signed up to the EU. We could be deciding that right now, but Dave and co, arch-nemeses of the EU when it was a vote-winner, bottled it on the big day when people were actually asking for it.

I'm no expert on EU laws (does it show?!) but are the rules about letting people wander freely from one EU 'state' to the other realty as unconditional as people say? Surely there must be some basic qualifying criteria? If not, when on earth did I miss the vote on that one...?

Relaxation? Interesting choice of word. My understanding is that it was a shift of focus from low risk categories to high risk categories of people. I believe they managed to trap more high risk people that way (I think the oft used phrase at thus juncture is: "no s**t Sherlock".

But, by all means continue to use the rather more emotive interpretation if that makes you feel better.

;-)

If it was so successful why did that fella at the top have to resign?

With the points system, doesn't AS levels count as well??? None of my unis do points so not entirely sure, but that's what I was told by someone the other day.

Back in the day when you had to be intelligent to go to university and degrees actually meant something, AS levels were seen as a cop out for people to dense to do A levels. Yet more evidence of exams being dumbed down to improve college stats.

Immigration is good. It brings in skills and workforce, money from spending and economic growth. If we stopped immigration tomorrow we'd soon see the negative consequences. It's all about a balance though...

So what would you do to ensure we get skilled workers who contribute to the economy and not lazy scrougers who live of benefits, send money out of the country and blatantly show contempt if not downright hatred for the culture and people of the country they live in?

So what would you do to ensure we get skilled workers who contribute to the economy and not lazy scrougers who live of benefits, send money out of the country and blatantly show contempt if not downright hatred for the culture and people of the country they live in?

What now? Have you met anyone like that? Every single immigrant I have met has a job(often a low paid one) and works bloody hard in it. They do respect this country and don't live off benefits!

Back in the day when you had to be intelligent to go to university and degrees actually meant something, AS levels were seen as a cop out for people to dense to do A levels. Yet more evidence of exams being dumbed down to improve college stats.

I have to admit when I found out this the other day, I was shocked AS levels count towards points as well! However, AS levels aren't a cop out, though obviously they aren't as hard as A2 levels. I'd like to see you do my 15,000 word chemistry coursework!

A levels aren't easy. And if AS levels are included, how would that improve a college's stats compared to another college in the tables... as ALL colleges would use AS...