New Car

Sergei Gotsmanov

I know nothing about cars but have the opportunity to buy a 2003/03 BMW 525 SE Turbo Diesel Automatic with 128,000 miles on the clock. Can any one answer the following questions;

1 Are their many more miles in the engine before it starts to pick up a few niggles?

2 Is it a good car?

3 How much should I pay?

4 Is it economical?

5 Should I buy it?

Don't worry about the milage, if it's been regularly serviced and it's motorway miles it should be good for another 128k. Go for it. The only advice i'd give is make sure you change the oil regularly because if you don't you'll f/ck your turbo up. I change my oil and filter every 5,000 miles. Better safe than sorry.

I know nothing about cars but have the opportunity to buy a 2003/03 BMW 525 SE Turbo Diesel Automatic with 128,000 miles on the clock. Can any one answer the following questions;

1 Are their many more miles in the engine before it starts to pick up a few niggles?

2 Is it a good car?

3 How much should I pay?

4 Is it economical?

5 Should I buy it?

My mate at work drives one exactly the same as that, even the same year and it's a great car. As Dune says as long as it's been services regularly they are good at least 200k miles. At that age and mileage BMW's and Mercs are the best car you can get for your money.

My mate at work drives one exactly the same as that, even the same year and it's a great car. As Dune says as long as it's been services regularly they are good at least 200k miles. At that age and mileage BMW's and Mercs are the best car you can get for your money.

Audi's go on forever too. Basically any German car is built to last and they are solid, and that also makes them safer if you have a crash.

Audi's go on forever too. Basically any German car is built to last and they are solid, and that also makes them safer if you have a crash.

You do need to check that it was built in Germany as there are some BMWs that have been built elsewhere and there is a quality gap (or was when I was looking a few years ago). Otherwise agree that if there is proof of regular services it should be fine.

You do need to check that it was built in Germany as there are some BMWs that have been built elsewhere and there is a quality gap (or was when I was looking a few years ago). Otherwise agree that if there is proof of regular services it should be fine.

I think the 2003 models are okay. IIRC some of the new shape 3 and 5 series built in 2005-07 were built elsewhere and are dogs in comparison.