Rodent Problem

SuperMikey

My student digs is occupied by a few mice at the moment, went into the kitchen to get a drink the other morning and one of them was just the other side of the door and scuttled away when he saw me. Just got back in from work, dumped my work stuff on the floor and one was sitting on my bed. Don't really want to put poison down and have a load of mouse corpses littering the house, so what do I do? Humane traps are probably the way to go, but they can be quite pricey...

More worried at the moment about the mouse that's in my pile of laundry in the corner...

I've had this in my last few places I've lived. It's a problem in just about all old buildings in Manhattan.

All I can say is block up any holes you find with foam sealant, but plug the hole with steel wool first. Then get a load of traps. Peanut butter is the best bait. Don't mess around with humane traps as a) a lot of the time they're not humane (eg sticky traps often break their legs and pull off about a third of their coats) and b) if you do catch them and release them outside they'll either come back into your apartment, or some other poor sod who's then got to deal with them the same as you are.

Best trap by far I've found is this (not sure if you can get them in UK)...

http://www.amazon.com/00027-Ultra-Covered-Snap-Mouse/dp/B000P9URDQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1322441895&sr=1-1

They run in to get the bait and the bar crashes down on their neck and kills them instantly. I got 13 in one weekend a few years back, including a few pregnant ones (I won't tell you how you tell, tho I do have a few photos!).

I know some people go with poison, which they eat and it thins their blood until they die of dehydration. Advantage is they normally go back to their nest to die, and the others will often feast on their rotting carcass which in turn passes the poison on. However this was you're left with the stench of decomposing flesh somewhere in your walls, which for me isn't a tempting prospect but from the sounds of it will bring some relief to the smell of stale sweat and spunk-tissues in your grimey digs.

Little bugger's gone under my bed now. Thanks for the advice Deano, i'm going to call my landlady tomorrow and see what she can sort out. Funny thing is that we're going to have people coming to see the house over the next few weeks because it's up for rent again when our lease expires - would be hilarious if they saw a mouse!

We have a rodent guy at work (incendentally, bearing in mind I work on the Tube, the busiest man in the world) who swears by Snickers as a tempter for mice. He always carries around a few bars, and crumbles a bit up and puts it on the mouse trap.

We have a rodent guy at work (incendentally, bearing in mind I work on the Tube, the busiest man in the world) who swears by Snickers as a tempter for mice. He always carries around a few bars, and crumbles a bit up and puts it on the mouse trap.

This - I got the same advice and it was more succesful than any other bait

Have the mice on the tube actually evolved to be a darker almost black color compared to normal brown mice, or is it just the lighting? Often wonder that when stood on the platform at Green Park late at night :)

Little bugger's gone under my bed now. Thanks for the advice Deano, i'm going to call my landlady tomorrow and see what she can sort out. Funny thing is that we're going to have people coming to see the house over the next few weeks because it's up for rent again when our lease expires - would be hilarious if they saw a mouse!

At least it isnt rats!... so far...

Worked in a shop when at uni which had a problem with mice, it was very embarrasing when a customer pointed forward to a shelf and shouted 'look, theres a mouse'!... grotty place... eventually got the buggers, after finding one had jumped in one of them big blue bins on wheels (that you see at pubs) to get some food, but could not get back out... the next day (after laying some cheese et al at the bottom) we had about 15 of the critters stuck in there... so we stuck the kettle on, also had a play with some anti perspirant and a lighter - however the kettle was the best tatic, my goodness those things can squeak and jump when they need to! Maybe not the most humane way to do it, but neither is snapping there backs in two, or poisoning... and it was cracking entertainment!

as you are giving up and dropping out of university you may as well just leave them be... you are burning your bridges so you may as well stitch your landlord and house mates up as you walk away defeated...!

Snickers has peanuts in, mice go crazy for peanuts, you can even get traps pre-baited with peanut butter at B & Q.

Had a problem in one of my previous houses years ago and having tried chocolate, cheese etc.. I caught nothing !

Just on a whim I put some dried dog food (it was kept in a sealed tin in the garage near the suspected mouse area!) and BINGO, the following morning every trap (about 6 of them!) had a dead

one on it ! I repeated this for a few days and 'voila', problem solved !

All the best solutions are discovered by accident !!

'Minced morsels' I think they were called (the dog food, not the dead mice!) !

Have the mice on the tube actually evolved to be a darker almost black color compared to normal brown mice, or is it just the lighting? Often wonder that when stood on the platform at Green Park late at night :)

Rats are in the tunnels in central London, the biggest rodent problem in general is actually mice! Apparently. Hounslow Central supervisor nearly shat himself the other night because of a little overnight visitor.