Cardiff Saints reviews -those who were there?

NickG

Can I suggest a separate thread -keep the reaction one going for comments and opinion etc but have one where people who saw it first hand can add their reviews and ratings for our info -without getting lost in debates?

Can I suggest a separate thread -keep the reaction one going for comments and opinion etc but have one where people who saw it first hand can add their reviews and ratings for our info -without getting lost in debates?

A good idea, but do you really think people would let them do that, without filling up the thread with their uninformed opinions?

I could have written the likely comments from certain posters before actually having read the reactions thread...but from one who was actually there...

We started very well, in awful weather we played great football and for 25minutes had all the play without really getting and opening. Cardiff then got back in to it and we defended too deep so the goal was not a shock, in fact it should have come sooner but for Kelvin. Saints then upped the game again and our goal was really well worked.

Second half we gave the ball away too often, sometimes pushing for the wonder pass, other times not looking up. But we didn't really look under too much pressure other than from corners. Towards the end it began to look like we were pushing for the winner so their goal was a sucker. I didn't think it went in but hard to tell from behind the goal - all i would say is the linesman who gave the goal was shocking all game.

Overall, Killer and Perry were very solid, James looked better than Surman. In the middle Gillet was all over the place winning the ball but maybe not the greatest distribution. Spiderman was good in patches but i think the speed on league football caught him out on occasions (some great passes though). Thompson started well but faded and it was no surprise he went off first. Holmes looked good, a little surprised he came off TBH. Lallana played well but got taken out when flying a couple of times - we need refs who will watch this. McGoldrick worked well, gave one of the best CBs in the division a hard time. Of the subs, Wooton looked all at sea although he did mark boothroyd well. BWP was ok, not involved too much. Dyer had a couple of good runs but seems to be lacking confidence.

So not a bad performance against a good side, when we put some passes together it was superb, but still patchy. Really unlucky to lose at the end even if Cardiff did have the better chances and more possession (dont believe we only had 32%).

Guest Hacienda

Just walked in and haven't bothered to read any threads of those not there.

FWIW I though Saints showed enough today to give me real hope for the future.

Lots of movement, give and go football and passion.

The thing that really concerned me was we really looked troubled by set pieces and that, at the end, cost us.

Also, we need a "proper" striker to hold the ball up and allow the others to get beyond him.

I feel better today that I did after the opening game of last season!

I could have written the likely comments from certain posters before actually having read the reactions thread...but from one who was actually there...

We started very well, in awful weather we played great football and for 25minutes had all the play without really getting and opening. Cardiff then got back in to it and we defended too deep so the goal was not a shock, in fact it should have come sooner but for Kelvin. Saints then upped the game again and our goal was really well worked.

Second half we gave the ball away too often, sometimes pushing for the wonder pass, other times not looking up. But we didn't really look under too much pressure other than from corners. Towards the end it began to look like we were pushing for the winner so their goal was a sucker. I didn't think it went in but hard to tell from behind the goal - all i would say is the linesman who gave the goal was shocking all game.

Overall, Killer and Perry were very solid, James looked better than Surman. In the middle Gillet was all over the place winning the ball but maybe not the greatest distribution. Spiderman was good in patches but i think the speed on league football caught him out on occasions (some great passes though). Thompson started well but faded and it was no surprise he went off first. Holmes looked good, a little surprised he came off TBH. Lallana played well but got taken out when flying a couple of times - we need refs who will watch this. McGoldrick worked well, gave one of the best CBs in the division a hard time. Of the subs, Wooton looked all at sea although he did mark boothroyd well. BWP was ok, not involved too much. Dyer had a couple of good runs but seems to be lacking confidence.

So not a bad performance against a good side, when we put some passes together it was superb, but still patchy. Really unlucky to lose at the end even if Cardiff did have the better chances and more possession (dont believe we only had 32%).

We need many more posts like this. A good read.

I could not go today but my eldest son took his brother and they have just phoned from Membury services on M4.

They both said we played well in patches and that Davis kept us in the game during the first half.

The eldest lad (20) felt we struggled at set pieces , including throw ins , where physical size is more important than skill.

He also felt that although Michael Svensson and Perry played well, he always worried when the ball was played high into our box because both are footballers not in the traditional center half build and Davis is small.

Gillett and Morgan Sch were busy and closed down well.

McGoldrick took his goal well but disappeared for long periods, when I said the stats were saying we only had 32% posession they were surprised but did admit that some of the players were struggling when put under pressure, which obviously did not occur during the friendlies, and that posession was given away.

Stern John may be a better option away from home

But the good news is that they both felt we looked more likely to get something today than when we played there last year.

The thing that really concerned me was we really looked troubled by set pieces and that, at the end, cost us.

Also, we need a "proper" striker to hold the ball up and allow the others to get beyond him.

Exactly echo what my sons said and i have just posted their comments

The set piece weakness showed v Celtic,WHU and Stoke. Kelvin sounds as though he had a better all round game today catching crosses and better distribution, together with good shot stopping? I haven't rated him but he sounds better.

Guest Hacienda
Stern John?

Yes.

I think he's well suited to the role required.

If we get the youngsters getting beyong the striker we are going to rip some teams to shreds.

yes ' date=' imo[/quote']

It is VITAL to have a man capable of holding on to the ball when we play a lone striker,IMO.

when Stern turns his fat arse against defenders,he is impossible to steal the ball from :D

-direct ball to John,lay-off to Spiderman..and a throughball to Dyer/thompson/Holmes/BWP/Lallana,THAT is the recipe when playing 4-3-3 !

It is VITAL to have a man capable of holding on to the ball when we play a lone striker,IMO.

when Stern turns his fat arse against defenders,he is impossible to steal the ball from :D

-direct ball to John,lay-off to Spiderman..and a throughball to Dyer/thompson/Holmes/BWP/Lallana,THAT is the recipe when playing 4-3-3 !

You are wasted as an internet nerd - do you have a pro A licence?

okay I have been home for an hour or so now and have gathered my very soggy thoughts together.This was the first time I have watched Saints live since Cardiff last season and the improvement was very noticable.There was some slick interplay between the midfield and the spirit seemed to be there.Thompson is an excellent prospect and the other youngsters are going in the right direction.

We completely dominated the first 15-20 minutes and it was in that time that we needed to score but slowly Cardiff worked there way back into the game ,and although they are not an overly physical team it was their strength and experience that gained them the upper hand.But as soon as they scored it seemed to spur the saints on and McGoldricks goal was well worked and well taken.

The last 10 minutes of the second half I thought we were pushing on well and if a winner was to be scored it would have been ours,but a silly free kick resulted in Cardiffs winner and there was not enough time for an equliser.

I think you lucky people on the south coast are going to be in for some very entertaining games at SMS this year.

Thanks for that - the only thing I will add is that Merrington on Solent thought Holmes to be our most ineffectual player

okay I have been home for an hour or so now and have gathered my very soggy thoughts together.This was the first time I have watched Saints live since Cardiff last season and the improvement was very noticable.There was some slick interplay between the midfield and the spirit seemed to be there.Thompson is an excellent prospect and the other youngsters are going in the right direction.

We completely dominated the first 15-20 minutes and it was in that time that we needed to score but slowly Cardiff worked there way back into the game ,and although they are not an overly physical team it was their strength and experience that gained them the upper hand.But as soon as they scored it seemed to spur the saints on and McGoldricks goal was well worked and well taken.

The last 10 minutes of the second half I thought we were pushing on well and if a winner was to be scored it would have been ours,but a silly free kick resulted in Cardiffs winner and there was not enough time for an equliser.

I think you lucky people on the south coast are going to be in for some very entertaining games at SMS this year.

Thanks, some encouraging comments there. Strength and experience are two areas a number of people have highlighted over recent weeks so if we can do something in those areas then hopefully we can have a season to look forward to.

Thanks for that - the only thing I will add is that Merrington on Solent thought Holmes to be our most ineffectual player

Merrington and the commentator sounded as though this was the first game they have seen this season. They were both very negative before the game, critical about using young players and then sounded really surprised how the team played.

First 25 minutes I enjoyed watching us play, but we didn't make it count. They then started to adjust to conditions and Rae and McPhail began pulling the strings, and it was no surprise when they scored. Our goal came from excellent play by Surman, he really needs to be playing left wing in place of Holmes. I've seen Holmes 4 or 5 times now and I'm really not convinced.

Second half we had to soak up a lot of pressure, but did so pretty comfortably for me. Perry and Killer were very good, and Kelvin made some good saves when he was needed. Corners are the biggest concern for me, and have been for years. We just can't defend them. Johnson and Loovens both should have scored, and ultimately their winner came from a needlessly given away free kick from James, and was all too predictable. I like James playing at right back, but he lets him down with his discipline at times – it was a really stupid free kick to give away.

We had a couple of chances and looked quite good on the counter a couple of times in the second half, and Killer nearly poked in Surman’s free kick. At times I thought we liked a bit of fluidity going forward and confidence, but I guess that will all come with getting used to the new system and gaining experience. All in all, I thought it was a decent display and we were very unlucky not to get a point.

As for individual performances;

Kelvin – Some good saves, claimed crosses and some good distribution

James – Very calm on the ball, but a couple of times needed to put his foot through it rather than try and pick out a pass. Gave away the free kick for the winner stupidly too, but I like what I see from him.

Surman – Great play for the goal. Pretty solid at the back. Needed to get forward more often, and I think he needs to be played in a more advanced position.

Perry and Killer – Marshalled the defence well and complemented each other. Davies will have a fight on his hands to get back in the team when he is fit again.

Gillett and Schiederlin– Both huffed and puffed, some decent moments but found it quite hard against McPhail and Rae. Used the ball quite stylishly at times, but also too anxious to pick a pass out quickly.

Thomson – Caused all sorts of problems in the first 25 mins. Quieter after that and deserved to be subbed.

Holmes – Very frustrating player. Needs to do things first time more often, doesn’t do enough for me.

Lallana – Ran his socks off, some good link up play and I think he will grow into that attacking midfielder role excellently.

McGoldrick – Scored a striker’s goal, and put himself about pretty well. He's a confidence player and I hope he plays and scores a couple against Exeter midweek.

Some promising early signs for me, but with all these things we're going to have to be patient and give it time.

Guest Hacienda
What a change to see a Saints team on the pitch and every man give his all!!!

One worry from today.. Killer got up very slowly from a few of his 100+ tackles.

I hope things are ok with him for Birmingham... F*ck Exeter right off for starters!!

There was one in the 2nd half, over towards the far touchline, where I thought he'd injured himself in the same knee.

How good was he! What a player to have back.

I came away feeling quite positive despite the last minute goal. We played some brilliant football at times and on a bigger pitch (like SMS) we will tear teams apart. However, there is a problem at RB. Lloyd James looked a long way out of his depth. We really need somebody else in there. Also, like someone else mentioned, we looked weak upfront. Nothing against DMc but the ball never really stayed in their half that long it seemed.

Svensson had an awesome game and I cant see many teams getting past him and a fit Davies. Also Killers new song was quality!!

We played Ok and put pressure on the cardiff defence early on.

Cardiff then came into it and had lots of chances and definately deserved to win, just a shame we were so close to getting a draw.

I will start writing up my match report with the notes I got from the game on my phone, in a bit.

Lots of energy and effort but a bit lightweight in key areas like the two fullbacks. I thought we were muscled out of it a bit in midfield and gave the ball away a lot due to the pressure. I thought BWP and Dyer were hopeless when they came on.

Felt very proud of the lads today - excellent support as well. My first trip to Ninian Park today and a very hostile atmosphere I thought. The little train back from the ground afterwards was unbelievably packed with loads of blokes just bundling on. Two kids I was with got badly crushed and were in tears. In fairness, an older Cardiff fan was shouting at people to stop trying to get on and was trying to shield the kids. The same bloke also asked me who 'our little blond midfielder was' - referring to Gillett. He was clearly impressed.

Ok, the game. I think we certainly deserved a draw. Kelvin Davis made an outstanding save from a header at the beginning of the second half, but I really do think he was at fault for their winner. An inswinging ball to the six yard box has to be the keepers. Not acceptable to allow the striker to win the ball there.

My ratings:

Davis - 6

James - 7 thought he did really well, particularly impressed with the accuracy and incisiveness of his passing. Naive free kick to give away at the end and due to his height, struggles with anything in the air. Good debut though.

Surman - 6 Slightly disappointed. Sound enough defensively but didn't get forward enough and passing not quite up to normal high standards. Superb piece of skill to beat the full back for our goal but Drew can so better.

Perry - 7 Superb in the tackle, showed good pace and seems to have a natural partnership with Svensson. Shame he isn't a little taller, on this basis only I'd pick Davies ahead of him when fit.

Killer - 9 Saw him at Winchester and Cheltenham and thought he looked a shadow of his former self. I haven't joined the wave of expectation because I didn't think he'd be up to it. Absolutely OUTSTANDING. Totally dominant in the air, excellent positioning, unflappable clearances and passing. I pray he can stay fit. The best signing in the Championship this season.

Gillett - 8 for me our next best player after Svensson. Strength and power that belies his diminutive frame. Superb retention of the ball, covered more ground than any other player on the pitch. Unlucky not to score in the first half. A breath of fresh air, really impressed.

Schneiderlin - 6 Excellent for the first half hour, can look after himself better than I expected and I'm sure he'll become a class act for us. Faded in the second half before being subbed, dwelt on the ball a couple of times but still getting used to the pace of this league.

Lallana - 7 worked his socks off, showed great skill and awareness at times. Can beat a player in a confined area and moves the ball well. Lacked the end product at times but did his best to give McGoldrick support.

Thompson - 6 Great start, beating his man with little trouble and a few good balls in. Faded out of it, but with this formation the wingers really rely on getting good service.

Holmes - 6 Great work rate and link up play, a few too many wayward passes and corners though I thought. Shame we don't have any other natural left wingers (excluding Skacel) as I'm not convinced he could last 90 mins.

McGoldrick - 7 Best I've seen him for us, playing in a really difficult role. Tremendous work rate and so pleased to see him score a real strikers goal.

Subs:

Dyer - 6 Beat his man and created our only chance of note in the second half. Sometimes over-elaborated but did what he could when we were under the cosh.

Wright-Phillips - 6 played on the left a didn't see much of the ball. Great tracking back to help Surman.

Wotton - 6 thought his distribution was poor but did come on and compete well in the tackle and in the air. Looks to be a good organiser.

Overall, plenty to be proud of here chaps. Sickening to concede an unecessary goal at the end. Struck me how much they worked for each other, doubling up and encouraging.

2 things that worry me are: Inability to defend an aerial threat from set-pieces (Svensson aside).

If midfield don't get forward quickly enough, leaves the loan striker quite isolated and makes creating chances difficult.

I came away feeling quite positive despite the last minute goal. We played some brilliant football at times and on a bigger pitch (like SMS) we will tear teams apart. However, there is a problem at RB. Lloyd James looked a long way out of his depth. We really need somebody else in there. Also, like someone else mentioned, we looked weak upfront. Nothing against DMc but the ball never really stayed in their half that long it seemed.

Svensson had an awesome game and I cant see many teams getting past him and a fit Davies. Also Killers new song was quality!!

Please enlighten us.

just got back from sunny cardiff,not.have to say i was impressed by saints.it was a joy to watch a team give their all for the red and white shirt.its been a long time.first15-20 minutes it was all saints and then cardiff got into it and presured us and deserved their goal,we came back stong and got a deserved equlizar.second half i thought they had the upper hand but thought we would see out and get a draw,but same old saints,we always shoot ourselves and concede needless freekicks,still,lots of positives and think we will win more than we loose,didnt think dyer had a great game,bwp was ok.killer was awesome.we need help up font for dmc.great support from us who were there.loved the song for bwp and dyer.bwp def needed it with the abuse he was getting whilst warming up.coyr

Work rate and pressing the ball was very good. We played some nice stuff which was enjoyable to watch but didn't really look that threatening. McGoldrick against their centre backs in the air was a bit of a mis match to be fair and I fear physically we're still going to struggle at times.

Still a lot of plus points though and only a minute or so from picking up a point which would have been a very good result. Conceding in the last minute is so unlike us! Good turnout and vocal support from our lot

It is a sign of how immature I am that the highlight of the game for me was the way in which Wright-Phillips dealt with the stick the Cardiff fans were giving him, good to see.

We played really well for spells in the first half but we were undone the same way we always tend to be. A lot of positives from the day, great turn out from the saints supporters and the conditions today didn't really suit our total/sexy football.

Only negative things were nearly every Welshman I encountered was a complete ****splash and Arriva trains deserve a medal for running a train from Ninian Park every thirty minutes and putting only two carriages on when the train platforms are overflowing with people waiting to get home, bunch of dorks.

Does anybody know where Mark Wotte was watching the game from? There was a guy who looked an awful lot like him at the back of the seating section, he left about five minutes from the end and got straight on his mobile. I assume it wasn't him but resemblance was uncanny.

gutted about the loss but looking forward to the rest of the season.

most enjoyable defeat for a long time.

team of young players that can compete at this level and will only get better as the season goes on. A draw today would have been a great result, unlucky to let in a late goal but we will be fine this season not sure we will be in the promotion mix.

Svensson was awesom but it is easy to think that as we all want him to be back to his best.

Gillett was brilliant and davis kept us in the game, looking forward after this performance!!

we have got one of the worst grounds out of the way this season, what a sh1t hole!!!!

Sorry for poor levels of english but I am very drunk

Got to Cardiff about 1:30 and me and 7 others including a mate who's from up there and was in the Cardiff end, went to the Ninian pub. We stayed out the back and were just having a quiet drink until one gobby man of no more than 25 started mouthing us off. At this point my Cardiff mate pointed out we were with him, but he wouldn't listen and as we went to leave before any trouble occured a pint glass was thrown at us. So not the greatest experience even before the game had started.

As for the match itself, we dominated the first 25 mins and forced the normally solid Glen Loovens into a few mistakes. Cardiff then came back into it and got the goal, but surmans work to set up our goal was quality. After that we had little spells looking good, but Cardiff had more of the ball. Nevertheless Killer was winning everything and we looked reasonably solid until the goal. A real shame to lose that late, but hopefully it doesn't knock the boys too much.

I could not go today but my eldest son took his brother and they have just phoned from Membury services on M4.

They both said we played well in patches and that Davis kept us in the game during the first half.

The eldest lad (20) felt we struggled at set pieces , including throw ins , where physical size is more important than skill.

He also felt that although Michael Svensson and Perry played well, he always worried when the ball was played high into our box because both are footballers not in the traditional center half build and Davis is small.

Gillett and Morgan Sch were busy and closed down well.

McGoldrick took his goal well but disappeared for long periods, when I said the stats were saying we only had 32% posession they were surprised but did admit that some of the players were struggling when put under pressure, which obviously did not occur during the friendlies, and that posession was given away.

Stern John may be a better option away from home

But the good news is that they both felt we looked more likely to get something today than when we played there last year.

he was suspended

No player by player ratings but some random thoughts...

Davis, pretty solid as usual. Cant see why some people hate him.

Thought Perry played well.

Killer was excellent but think every game he plays is a bonus. I don't think we can realistically rely on these two playing every league game.

Didn't see much of Surman but think it's significant that the only time he really attacked was when we scored our goal. Wasted at left back. Made our goal.

James: Made some good tackles and passes but gave away the free kick that led to the goal.

Didn't notice much of Schniederlein.

Gillet: Seemed to keep popping up when we needed someone to break up their play. Didn't make any defence splitting passes but I don't remember him giving the ball away.

McGoldrick: Took his goal. I don't know about DM. It sems like he's ALMOST there. He's got the height, he has the build,he can score goals. I'm just a fan but I think that DM has to decide how much ihe wnats to be a great striker...

Holmes: Jury is out. IF we cant sell Skacel then I think he needs to get fit and play in this role.

Wotton: The only thing I can remember of him is a needlessly overhit crossfield pass that went into touch. Right now I don't know why we signed him. Can we have Oakley or Prutton back please?

Dyer: One good moment where he just seemed to breeze past their defenders. He could be one of the better players in this league, I guess we'll see this season whether he is a future premiership player or just a championship also ran.

BWP: Took the stick from the Cardiff fans well. I actually feel for him because he seems to be getting the brunt of the abuse re the thieving thing although the video suggests that Dyer was much more involved... Tracked back and helped Surman at times.

Overall? Was expecting us to lose convincingly so am not too disappointed. Don't know if we played better than I hoped or Cardiff played badly but am actually pleased with the result as we were unlucky to lose. I hope our players can learn from this.

We played some great passing football and our movement off the ball was good. But we gave away a goal at the end of the game which left us with nothing. Sound familiar?

Ok, the game. I think we certainly deserved a draw. Kelvin Davis made an outstanding save from a header at the beginning of the second half, but I really do think he was at fault for their winner. An inswinging ball to the six yard box has to be the keepers. Not acceptable to allow the striker to win the ball there.

My ratings:

Davis - 6

I thought when I read this earlier that it may have been unfair and waited until I had seen the goal.

The cross was an outswinger and KD was not at fault.

Merrington and the commentator sounded as though this was the first game they have seen this season. They were both very negative before the game, critical about using young players and then sounded really surprised how the team played.

Nice guy though he is Merrington is from the same school as Harry Redknapp and part of the problem with English football. You look at Arsenal and United and see how many youngsters are used and the 'Can't win anything with youngsters' mentality is soon dispelled. Unless you can afford top quality then the journey men just swallow up money and stifle younger players development.

The reports seem to support what I heard on the radio - not sure cardiff will be up there at the end of the season but we have kids who will improve if given the chance.

Nice guy though he is Merrington is from the same school as Harry Redknapp and part of the problem with English football. You look at Arsenal and United and see how many youngsters are used and the 'Can't win anything with youngsters' mentality is soon dispelled. Unless you can afford top quality then the journey men just swallow up money and stifle younger players development.

The reports seem to support what I heard on the radio - not sure cardiff will be up there at the end of the season but we have kids who will improve if given the chance.

To be fair to Merrington he has a good record with bringing on kids.